Windows 10: Copy boot drive to a bootable external drive to fresh install

Discus and support Copy boot drive to a bootable external drive to fresh install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is my first post, so first, hello and second, I hope I'm in the correct section. What I want to do is do a fresh install on my boot drive (Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ataribravo, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Copy boot drive to a bootable external drive to fresh install

This is my first post, so first, hello and second, I hope I'm in the correct section. What I want to do is do a fresh install on my boot drive (Samsung 970 EVO Plus). Before I format and install I want to make a bootable backup onto an external drive so I can dual-boot until I have the new drive setup the way I want it. Can this be done? What method/software is best to do it? And if there is already a good post detailing this, just point me in the right direction. If you need additional information please don't hesitate to ask! Current Windows 10 version is 20H2 Build 19042.1052 but I will be purchasing a new copy for the fresh install so it will be different. Thanks!! Jeff

:)

ataribravo, Jun 23, 2021

2. third sata drive not bootable ?

Exactly. On the where do you want to install Windows screen, it has the list of all 3 drives, but when I choose the new drive is when it says it cannot install because the drive is not a bootable drive. If I select one of the other drives with XP installed it doesn't give that message.

jeepdriver, Jun 23, 2021
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Chewy Win User

Copy boot drive to a bootable external drive to fresh install

Ipod bootable drive?

I want to know if I can make my ipod a usb bootable drive.. will it mess up my ipod? I need to flash my video card back to normal.. Neros bootable cd gave me an error. I used a step by step guide, but thats another story.

Chewy, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

Copy boot drive to a bootable external drive to fresh install

1. Copy boot drive to a bootable external drive to fresh install - Similar Threads - Copy boot drive

2. Bootable drive not booting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable drive not booting?: I recently used MiniTool partition wizard to move my windows drive from a 240GB SSD to a 1TB NVME SSD. I followed a Youtube tutorial and made it to the end, my pc was fully working and was running of the NVME drive. But it had the name of my old drive, then i went to rename...
  3. Bootable drive not booting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable drive not booting?: I recently used MiniTool partition wizard to move my windows drive from a 240GB SSD to a 1TB NVME SSD. I followed a Youtube tutorial and made it to the end, my pc was fully working and was running of the NVME drive. But it had the name of my old drive, then i went to rename...
  4. Bootable drive not booting?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  6. Unable to copy to an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy to an external drive: I have an external drive that I have used many times for storage; i.e., moving files from my desktop to the external drive. Now when I try to move files there, I get a message saying "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain...
  7. Unable to copy to an external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Copying to External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  9. Easiest way to install a fresh copy on a new drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Easiest way to install a fresh copy on a new drive?: So, my friend is selling me his old PC with a copy of Windows on it. It's obviously going to be a fresh install, however it's installed on an HDD. I've purchased an SSD to use as a boot drive, and I'll use the HDD for extra storage etc., you know the drill. I understand that...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...