Windows 10: Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop

Discus and support Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a USB "thumb" drive or whatever it is called and I would like to copy the entire content to my hard drive. The electronics pulled out of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Marxplace, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Marxplace Win User

Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop

I have a USB "thumb" drive or whatever it is called and I would like to copy the entire content to my hard drive. The electronics pulled out of the plastic body and I don't want to lose the files so I would like to copy to hard drive and then back the files up at a later date to another remote hard drive. I'm an old guy and am computer savvy but not necessarily current as to all of the terminology. Thank you for any assistance that can be provided.

:)

Marxplace, Feb 13, 2020
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop :)

dhdude, Feb 13, 2020
  3. Hard Drive not Showing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for posting back.

• How are you connecting the Hard drive to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different computer and check if it works?

It's possible that your USB drivers are corrupt. I suggest you to try the following steps and check.

• Press Windows Key +R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      to open Device manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
      at the left bottom.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Feb 13, 2020
  4. Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop

Unable to connect USB Hard Drives to laptop

After having connected a
    Sisun HDD docking station
    to my Sony Laptop , Windows Explorer refuses to recognise any USB hard drive (although other software such as a disk utility can) and I am therefore unable to save files to these drives. Windows does recognise some USB pen drives
    but larger HDD are not recognised. To date, I have;

• Uninstalled the USB controllers through Device manager (forcing Windows to reinstall them on reboot); and
    • Run both the WinUSB and DeviceDiagnostic software to no avail.
    I'd rather not do a clean reinstall of Windows as I am unable to backup my files. Any other suggestions?

SteveAinsworth, Feb 13, 2020
Thema:

Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop

1. Copy entire USB to hard drive on laptop - Similar Threads - Copy entire USB

2. Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors: There are two Western Digital hard drives in my system unit, each with the capacity of 1TB.I need to leave the computer running at night so that the drives may be checked and any found errors or bad sectors may be corrected by the time it is morning.Based on what is stated in...
  3. Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Checking Entire Hard Drives for Errors: There are two Western Digital hard drives in my system unit, each with the capacity of 1TB.I need to leave the computer running at night so that the drives may be checked and any found errors or bad sectors may be corrected by the time it is morning.Based on what is stated in...
  4. External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop: I tried chkdsk and it came up with these 2 errors, external ran fine before but randomly started happening after a few months. Any help would be appreciated.An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 171f.An unspecified error occurred 696e647863686b2e 9cb....
  5. External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop: I tried chkdsk and it came up with these 2 errors, external ran fine before but randomly started happening after a few months. Any help would be appreciated.An unspecified error occurred 6e74667363686b2e 171f.An unspecified error occurred 696e647863686b2e 9cb....
  6. External Hard drive disconnecting and reconnecting / freezing entire laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  8. Copying entire drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying entire drive.: I want to move my entire drive including windows 10 operating system to a new larger disk I installed,how to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-entire-drive/b555f5a3-9d07-47f2-b8b5-d28c9abb411f
  9. Full copy of a hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full copy of a hard drive?: Is it possible to make an entire copy of your Windows 10 hard drive installation with all existing programs so everything (and I do mean everything) can be transferred to a new SSD drive?...
  10. Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB: I'm switching from an old desktop running XP to a new laptop running Windows 10. I've copied folders, including some programs, to an external hard drive and/or a USB. Windows Explorer in XP allowed me to just highlight files or folders I want to copy, then right click to...