Windows 10: Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar

Discus and support Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Friend of mine decided he'd finally ditch his old XP tower and go to Windows 10. He got a Dell 8.1 that we upgraded to 10 Home Premium. I told him... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by boweasel, Aug 10, 2015.

1. boweasel Win User

Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar

Friend of mine decided he'd finally ditch his old XP tower and go to Windows 10. He got a Dell 8.1 that we upgraded to 10 Home Premium.

I told him I'd get his IE8 Favorites off the old tower, so I copied them to a flash drive, and copied them to
    C:\Users\(user name)\Favorites. Using Explorer I can see that the files are in that folder, yet I see nothing using Edge. He'd be fine with Firefox, but there's no facility I'm aware of that let's us import Bookmarks from a flash drive.

Additionally I seem unable to create new favorites. I set Google as a Favorite, but the yellow star fails to display anything.

I was able to set his IE home page to what it was on XP, so at least that is working, although whenever we click on the IE icon it takes us to this silly page that says 'What do you want to do?' or something equally unhelpful. Since I was able to get the Home button to display, we have to click on that to get to his home page. Is there a work-around so we can go directly to his home page without making it a 2 step process?

Lastly is there any way to get the old reliable Menu Bar back on Edge? File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools and Help are sorely missed. How do you reset Edge without it? Disable Add-ons? Set default search engines? Delete browsing history, etc. etc.

:)

boweasel, Aug 10, 2015
  2. jrowla Win User

How do I copy Favorites from my Menu bar to another computer

*O.T.> Favorites

How do I copy my Favorites: favorites > favorites from my Menu bar to another computer?

jrowla, Aug 10, 2015
  3. JayG_365 Win User
    How do I copy Favorites from my Menu bar to another computer

Thank you for the fast response!!!! Unfortunately my problem is still not solved... I must have a different version of Internet Explorer. Everything in the picture you posted looks the same as mine except when I right-click in that same area the only options
    in the drop down list are as follows (in a vertical manner):

restore

move

size

minimize

maximize

close

JayG_365, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Internet Explorer is in all apps, Windows Accessories.

5. boweasel Win User
    I'm quite sure you believe that 8 word reply is helpful. It is not.

boweasel, Aug 10, 2015
  6. Bazz Win User
    Sorry I misread your OP I thought you wanted to use IE, no need to be rude, sorry can't help won't help now.

Hope that 23 word answer will suffice.

So People actually still use IE, very strange, I thought that went out of trend when Firefox came out, then Chrome seems to now have the the majority share, personally I use Chrome for most things and Firefox for Acestream links.

Regards have a nice day.

7. boweasel Win User
    Okay.... And here I am believing that Windows Edge is simply Windows 10's name for Internet Explorer. So I just have to find Windows Accessories in W10, open Internet Explorer from there, and all of the Favorites we copied to C:\Users\(user name)\Favorites should now work?

I personally use all 3 main browsers, but my friend has been used to IE, and he's an older guy. Old dog, new tricks....

boweasel, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Bazz Win User

Yep Start, All Apps, look down, I think they called Edge (Edge) because it's on the edge of being a browser.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Bowesel, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Since you already imported the Favorites from IE to the Favorites folder, you can pick up at step 4 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below to import them into Microsoft Edge.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 10, 2015
  10. boweasel Win User
    Thanks Brink, but if Bazz is correct, my friend will want to use Internet Explorer directly (I assume it will be IE11) instead of Edge. See my original post for additional reasons - things I assume will no longer be an issue once he gets away from Edge.

boweasel, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Bazz Win User
    Click the start menu click all apps scroll down to Windows Accessories and IE is in there, I don't think I can make it much clearer, I do understand the bit about you being a old dog but it's not rocket science.

12. If you exported your Favourites from the old machine's IE using the export function: Menu > File > Import/Export, then you use can the same menu operation to import them back into IE 11 on the new Win10 installation. Having done that, you might be able to use Edge's feature to copy favourites over from IE.

That said, Edge is NOT a replacement for IE. It is very much a cut-down 'Lite' browser, more suited to simple hand-held devices with chunky buttons and menus for you to prod a finger at. It is not a full-featured replacement for something like IE if you use any of the more powerful features. OK, if you use any features apart from basic viewing of pages.

Andre

andrewilley, Aug 10, 2015
  13. boweasel Win User

I used Explorer to copy the favorites from XP to a flash drive, the Explorer again to copy them from the flash drive to C:\Users\(user name)\Favorites on W10.

boweasel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar - Similar Threads - Copy Favorites Menu

2. Favorites, Favorites Bar and Other Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites, Favorites Bar and Other Favorites: When I first used the new Edge (Chrome??) I imported my bookmarks and bookmarks tool bar from Firerfox and got lost in the terminology of Edge. I am sure I don't understand the difference between 'Favorites', 'Favorites Bar' and 'Other Favorites'. Each seems to contain the...
  3. Cannot Increase the menu bar and favorites bar in the new Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot Increase the menu bar and favorites bar in the new Edge.: I am thinking of switching from Firefox to the new Edge but have run into show stopper. The fonts in the Menu and Favorites bar are much to small for these octogenarian eyes and I can find no way to increase their size. Settings/Appearance allows me to select such things as...
  4. copying favorites

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying favorites: how do I copy the files that are in my favorites to add to another computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-favorites/6ea8bae6-cf57-4ee3-b37c-0c17d8b494e5"
  5. Text size on menu bar and favorite's bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text size on menu bar and favorite's bar: The text size is very tiny. How do I enlarge? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/text-size-on-menu-bar-and-favorites-bar/18079f05-fded-431a-b58a-beee327cf147
  6. favorite Bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    favorite Bar: how do I delete items listed on my favorite bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/favorite-bar/30425629-414b-4cb0-be0a-427573c39f78
  7. Favorites bar

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites bar: Hi folks. My Favorites bar has gone. Not talking about Bookmarks but Favorites. I'm using Google Chrome and the bar was there last night but has now disappeared. Any thoughts? In the meantime I've tried to recall as many favorites as possible and put them into Bookmarks but...
  8. Favorites from Firefox to Favorites BAR in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites from Firefox to Favorites BAR in Edge: I recently upgraded to Win 10 64 and have decided that I am going to use Edge as my default browser. I have followed the directions on 2 websites now that tell how to transfer favorites from Firefox to Edge and seem to have hit a little snag. I am trying to transfer my...
  9. Menu Bar, Favorites & Favorites Bar

in Browsers and Email
    Menu Bar, Favorites & Favorites Bar: I am presently using IE 11 and thinking about switching to another browser. I am looking for a browser that has the above titles shown on the home page in the same way as IE 11. Are there any available? 71224
  10. IE11 Favorites in Menu Bar in Windows 10 displayed incorrectly

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Favorites in Menu Bar in Windows 10 displayed incorrectly: I posted this problem in other forums, but alas, no help yet. Here's hoping someone here can assist. Thanks. Favorites have become inaccessible during the process of Organizing Favorites. My IE Favorites were on OneDrive long before upgrading to Windows 10. I have used...