Windows 10: Copy files and *replace* them in another folder using CMD?

Discus and support Copy files and *replace* them in another folder using CMD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I know there a multiple tutorials online about copying files from one place to another using command line. My question is, I want to copy one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lolcocks, Jun 20, 2019.

1. lolcocks Win User

Copy files and *replace* them in another folder using CMD?

Hello,

I know there a multiple tutorials online about copying files from one place to another using command line.

My question is,

I want to copy one folder to another folder, only thing is I want the files inside it to be replaced directly, without any prompts asking for replacement.

Is that doable?

:)

lolcocks, Jun 20, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 20, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jun 20, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Copying down file folders with names and growing dates

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create multiple folders of same name with progressive dates, I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you.

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where you want the folders to be created.
    • On the address bar, where the folder path is displayed, erase the folder path and type
      CMD to open a Command Prompt window.
    • Once the Command Prompt window opens, copy paste the following command and hit Enter:

for %d in (2019.6.17 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.18 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.19 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.20 Job Progress Pics, etc) do mkdir %d

Note:

Replace ‘etc’ with rest of the dates for the month. (Eg: ‘2019.6.X Job Progress Pics’ where X is the date)

• Exit Command Prompt and see if multiple folders are created with the progressive dates on the preferred location.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Copy files and *replace* them in another folder using CMD? - Similar Threads - Copy files *replace*

2. Copy folder from CMD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy folder from CMD: Cannot log to Windows 10 anymore, however I can access CMD and I want to copy my folders/files, I managed to copy some of them by XCOPY but I couldn’t copy these 2 folders in the photo, So how can I copy them?...
  3. Copy folder from CMD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy folder from CMD: Cannot log to Windows 10 anymore, however I can access CMD and I want to copy my folders/files, I managed to copy some of them by XCOPY but I couldn’t copy these 2 folders in the photo, So how can I copy them?...
  4. Copy folder from CMD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Cannot copy documents folder in cmd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot copy documents folder in cmd: My wife's computer died and won't boot. We plan on doing a fresh reinstall but want to save a few files first. Some of these files are in the documents folder. I have cmd running from a boot drive and when I try to xcopy to the folder it says "file creation error - the file...
  6. Cannot copy documents folder in cmd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot copy documents folder in cmd: My wife's computer died and won't boot. We plan on doing a fresh reinstall but want to save a few files first. Some of these files are in the documents folder. I have cmd running from a boot drive and when I try to xcopy to the folder it says "file creation error - the file...
  7. Cannot copy documents folder in cmd

8. Copy to Specific Folders using CMD

Copy to Specific Folders using CMD: I am trying to copy a file using robocopy and xcopy commands using a Batch script.bat. The script is run on CMD not in admin mode. I do not have admin mode privileges as the machine I am working on is organisation laptop. I am unable to copy files to the folders - Program...
  9. A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?

A question on copying files from a compressed folder to another compressed folder ..... ?: Compressed folders are often shown in blue for user convenience. When Windows explorer copies files and also sub-folders from one compressed folder to another compressed folder, does it decompress the file data ON-THE-FLY, and then re-compress it again towards the...
  10. Unable to replace corrupt file in cmd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to replace corrupt file in cmd: I have been playing Apex Legends for a while now. But recently when I tried to run the game there was an error message saying "application could not start correctly 0xc0000142" followed by "untrusted system file:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to copy and replace a file via cmd

2. cmd copy and replace

3. cmd copy file and replace

4. copy rename and replace file cmd,
  5. copy and replace file cmd,
  6. cmd to copy and replace file,
  7. cmd replace file,
  8. copy files cmd dont show files,
  9. windows copy replace,
  10. Copy files and *replace* them in another folder using CMD,
  11. opy and replace a file using cmd,