Windows 10: Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership?

Discus and support Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm looking to create a new user on my laptop (20H2 Pro x64) and copy over a bunch of settings and documents from the old user account, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mc510, Mar 26, 2021.

1. mc510 Win User

Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership?

I'm looking to create a new user on my laptop (20H2 Pro x64) and copy over a bunch of settings and documents from the old user account, and then eventually delete the original account. I seem to recall having permission/ownership problems in the past, when copying files between user accounts. Is there an easy way to automatically change ownership from OldUser to NewUser while I'm copying the files?

I think my workaround would be to copy to files from OldUser to a FAT32 flash drive where they would lose ownership information, and then copy to NewUser ... but if I could avoid that PITA, I'd sure like to!

:)

mc510, Mar 26, 2021

2. User File Ownership Conflicts

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• Are you able to login to your user account?
    • Are you able to access your files?
    • Are you getting any error message, while accessing the file?

I would like to inform you that upgrading to Windows 10 doesn’t change anything on the computer or to the user accounts on the computer. I suggest to change the permission of the files and check.

You may refer the following Microsoft help link to give permission to a file.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Note: The steps provided in the link shall work on Windows 10 as well.

Hope this information helps. If you have any queries, let us know. Will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Mar 26, 2021
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 26, 2021
  4. Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership?

How to copy administrator user account

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to copy the user date and check if it helps.

Note: I suggest to create a new user profile and transfer user data to new account and delete or change the corrupt user profile.

Copy User Data: Follow the below steps to copy files to the new user profile

• Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files to or from.
    • In Windows Explorer, click View, and Check mark hidden files and folders, uncheck the
      Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click
      OK
    • Locate the C:\Users\Old Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy user data from.
    • Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder in this folder, except the following files:

• Ntuser.dat

• Ntuser.dat.log

• Ntuser.ini
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Copy
    • Locate the C:\Users\New Username folder, where
      C is the drive on which Windows is installed, and New Username is the name of the user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    • On the Edit menu, click
      Paste
    • Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership?

1. Copy files from one user to another, and change ownership? - Similar Threads - Copy files user

2. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  3. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  4. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  5. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  6. Copying files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from one drive to another: Hello, I am copying my useless files from my small storaged ssd to my harddrive, but when i copy over the files their sizes are 10x bigger, the files im copying is only 7.20 gb large but it's copying 70gb worth of storage to my hdd? Please give answers :) submitted by...
  7. Copy User Automatically from One AD Group to Another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy User Automatically from One AD Group to Another: When a user is added to one on-prem AD security group, make it so they are automatically added to another on-prem AD security group. Is this possible? I'm trying to make it so the Accounts team doesn't have to remember to add a user to 2 AD groups. I'm also trying to do this...
  8. Copy User Automatically from One AD Group to Another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy User Automatically from One AD Group to Another: When a user is added to one on-prem AD security group, make it so they are automatically added to another on-prem AD security group. Is this possible? I'm trying to make it so the Accounts team doesn't have to remember to add a user to 2 AD groups. I'm also trying to do this...
  9. Copying files from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copying files from one computer to another.: I have several NTFS formatted portable HDDs that when new files are copied onto them from one machine and I attempt to read them on another machine the new files don't appear. I've tried to use chkdsk in command mode with the /f switch, but that will not run because I'm...
  10. Transferring files from one user to another

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transferring files from one user to another: I original set up windows under an account/email that has since be closed. I want to transfer all my files currently on the old user account to my new user account but can't seem to figure this out. Is there a way I can move my files, apps, and setting that are on the old...