Windows 10: Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

Discus and support Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am using windows and have the following situation: I have multiple PDF files which naming system is as following: 0.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BarsinoLarushku, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

Hello,

I am using windows and have the following situation: I have multiple PDF files which naming system is as following:

0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1801

0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1802

0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1807

I also have folders that are named as following:

AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1801

AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1802

AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1807

so without the 0. . I would like to copy each of the individual PDF files to its respective folder with a command, since i have thousands of these and copying them one by one to its respective folder is a nightmare.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks

Barsino

:)

BarsinoLarushku, Jul 3, 2020
  2. MJL3108 Win User

I am looking for a way to copy/export a list of folder names (not files) from a file explorer location into either an excel or text file. Is this possible?

I know you can copy file names from windows file explorer into a text document, however I'm looking for a way to copy of extract a list of folder names from a windows file explorer location to provide externally - so would need to be as a text / excel
    file or something similar. Please help! Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names :)

MJL3108, Jul 3, 2020
  3. red268 Win User
    Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Jul 3, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

How do I use the command prompt to delete files with similar names?

Perhaps you could give an example of the similar names (and say which you want to keep or delete).

Bree, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

1. Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names - Similar Threads - Copy files similar

2. Copying method something similar to xcopy?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying method something similar to xcopy?: Hi,I need to backup only new files brand new files, or files which have newer modification date.Normally, my lovely old fashion XCOPY /d /s is meeting my need 100% for many many years.But I have problem with that because of some long sub folders + file names I get in...
  3. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  4. File vs Folder names similar, but different

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File vs Folder names similar, but different: I'm trying to merge some files of mine that have a specific label to a folder with one of the words name in the folder name. The program refuses to let me do so, but it is what I want. How do I move the files into that specific folder? I've tried modifying the file name, but...
  5. What is a name of a program that displays many GIF pics together in it similar to File...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is a name of a program that displays many GIF pics together in it similar to File...: Or make File Explorer show the GIF's icons as animations of the whole GIF? submitted by /u/InternationalFlow153 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/pdkgf1/what_is_a_name_of_a_program_that_displays_many/
  6. Detailed search for duplicate image files with similar name in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Detailed search for duplicate image files with similar name in File Explorer: I have thousands of duplicate picture files in my File Backup storage drive and need to do some culling. File Backup is working properly now but I have too much duplication. How would I Search a folder and only isolate the second file? Please and thank you for your help....
  7. How do I remove files with similar names from a folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I remove files with similar names from a folder?: Hi, I have a folder with 1000+ files containing images. They have similar names like: imgred_4752 imgred_4785 imgred_4473 imgyellow_571 imgyellow_582 imgyellow_565 I would need one file per type, so, for example, it should be: imgred_4752 imgyellow_582 Can I do it with a...
  8. File Explorer similar file names no longer appear

File Explorer similar file names no longer appear: Ever since the most recent update, similar file names no longer appear when im naming a new file. For example, if I am naming an image file "new", it doesn't show me file names with "new" in the title: [ATTACH] I tried this on another windows 10 computer with the most...
  9. 2 similar Wireless names on same computer??

2 similar Wireless names on same computer??: I am not a computer nerd but need to know if this is necessary to have 2 wireless with similar names -- NetGear74 and NetGear74-5GB on my desktop. Well my desktop is HP Omen 870-119 and have the cable modem, Thomson DC475 from my internet service provider also have the...
  10. How do I use the command prompt to delete files with similar names?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I use the command prompt to delete files with similar names?: How do I use the command prompt to delete files with similar names? 78835