Windows 10: copy paste data file vary slow

Discus and support copy paste data file vary slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Copying files VERY slow, speed drops to zero, even on USB 3 -- no solutions have worked I have a mini PC with Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled. Set it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sunilbajaj1, May 26, 2019.

1. copy paste data file vary slow

Copying files VERY slow, speed drops to zero, even on USB 3 -- no solutions have worked

I have a mini PC with Windows 10 64-bit preinstalled. Set it up this weekend and when copying files between USB 3 drives, the speed is abysmal. It fluctuates wildly during copy/move. Rarely more than 10mb/s, and every few seconds it drops to 0 kb/s, where it hangs for minutes. Transferring a folder with lots of files can take hours, with most of that time wasted with the process just stalled.

What I'm copying between:

• Sandisk Ultra thumb drive USB 3.0
    • Crucial M500 SSD, 960GB - in an Inateck USB 3.0 enclosure optimized for SSD - drive is newly formatted by Win 10, NTFS

Interestingly -- I notice that sometimes when the copy/move stalls, the Windows Explorer status bar on the destination slowly fills with a green progress bar -- and I mean SLOOOWWWLY. It crawls along, and will sometimes get to what looks like 99-100%, then hang. This happens no matter which drive is the destination.

I have searched exhaustively and found many forums where this problem is posted and detailed, with almost as many suggested fixes. None have worked for me. Ones I have tried include:

• System Maintenance Troubleshooter - no errors
    • Optimized the drives for Better Performance
    • Autotuning turned off -- no change. Back on -- no change.
    • Remote Differential Compression turned OFF for all drives - no change
    • Temporarily disabling Win Defender real-time - no change
    • Disabled indexing
    • Disabled Large Send Offload
    • Changed Windows Explorer to open with This PC
    • Write caching enabled for all drives
    • Tried turning off write cache flushing (box checked) - no change. Back on (box unchecked) - no change.
    • Updated the PC's BIOS
    • Changing ports on the PC - with/without powered USB hub - no change
    • Updated Windows to the latest version - no change

When I do a speed test, the SSD clocks at almost 500mb/s read & ~300+mb/s write, and the Sandisk thumb drive tests fine as well. But when copying/moving files in Explorer, it maxes around 10mb/s and is most often in kb/s, as I said above. So I assume that, like others have posted, this is a Windows issue.

I'm at a complete loss here. I've found a few posts that begin with SOLVED, often using one of the fixes above, but I remain decidedly unsolved.

If anyone can provide ANY insight into this, I will be very grateful.

Thanks very much!

B

:)

sunilbajaj1, May 26, 2019

2. Slow Data copy/paste SPEEDS in WINDOWS 10

Hello Guyz, I encountered a problem after upgrading to windows 10. I had extremely slow data transfer speed from any storage media. I myself found a fix for it. I didn't have this prob in win 7. I hope that u understand.

Regards
    Robert Stark

Follow the steps below As Attached

copy paste data file vary slow [​IMG]

Mohammedrocks70, May 26, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    how do I copy and paste

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing?

• Are you not able to copy or paste the files?

• What exactly happens when you try to copy the files?

• Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• To copy
      Ctrl + C
    • To Paste ctrl + V
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/keyboard-shortcuts

Reply with necessary information so that we can assist you better.

Thanks and Regards

Arun B J, May 26, 2019
  4. temp02 Win User

copy paste data file vary slow

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 26, 2019
Thema:

copy paste data file vary slow

1. copy paste data file vary slow - Similar Threads - copy paste data

2. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  3. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  4. Slow Copy and Pasting on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Copy and Pasting on new PC: I just got a new CPU intel core i7-12700K, motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro - DDR5, and RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RAM. I did transfer my old GPU, PSU, and SSD. But I seem to have lower copy/paste speeds when copying/pasting files. I can't figure out why though.Does anyone...
  5. Slow Copy and Pasting on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow Copy and Pasting on new PC: I just got a new CPU intel core i7-12700K, motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro - DDR5, and RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR5 RAM. I did transfer my old GPU, PSU, and SSD. But I seem to have lower copy/paste speeds when copying/pasting files. I can't figure out why though.Does anyone...
  6. Slow Copy and Pasting on new PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Slow response to insert, copy and paste commands

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Slow response to insert, copy and paste commands: Dear Forum, I asked "Tell Me" about the above yesterday. It told me "autoCAD" could be the cause. I received a free trial from the Microsoft Store. I guess it was in a recent update. Please tell me how to uninstall it. I'm working at half speed. Windows 10, HP computer, EXCEL...
  8. copy paste damaging files when pasting into an sd

copy paste damaging files when pasting into an sd: I had to format the SD card of my phone, so i saved a couple of file in my Surface so that i could later copy them into the formatted SD. Formatting went without a problem, but when i was copying the files back, some did not go through it untouched AKA i cant open a few of...
  9. Why is the COPY and then PASTE so slow?

Why is the COPY and then PASTE so slow?: Under Windows 10 (as well as Windows 7), I was copying the WINDOWS folder on my C: hard drive to a (brand-new - but old one acts the same) WD Backup drive. After doing the PASTE, it took hours to complete, with very little activity from me. I noticed that occasionally, it...
  10. Slow Data copy/paste SPEEDS in WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow Data copy/paste SPEEDS in WINDOWS 10: Hello Guyz, I encountered a problem after upgrading to windows 10. I had extremely slow data transfer speed from any storage media. I myself found a fix for it. I didn't have this prob in win 7. I hope that u understand. Regards Robert Stark Follow the steps below As...