Windows 10: Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug?

Discus and support Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I copied the ..\Pictures\Screenshots folder to an external drive to backup the files in the directory. As expected the new directory on the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lhgarrett, Aug 20, 2017.

1. lhgarrett Win User

Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug?

I copied the ..\Pictures\Screenshots folder to an external drive to backup the files in the directory. As expected the new directory on the external drive was named "Screenshots".

I believed I could change the name of the folder on the external drive, and safely know it was uniquely named (for example, I named it "Screenshots Change Name" as in the following attached images). However, a second subsequent copying of the ..\Pictures\Screenshots folder (containing different screenshot images following recreation of the User account) to the external drive did not create a second instance of the folder named "Screenshots". Rather, it overwrote the files in the folder I thought was safely uniquely named as an earlier backup that would be untouched.

Please explain why the properties of the folder name appear to be in conflict when I compare General and Share properties' names.
    Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug? [​IMG]

:)

lhgarrett, Aug 20, 2017

2. Will File History Work If I Ever Want To Reinstall Windows 10?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, you say that I can also manually copy paste from the external drive where I use File History?

Like, if I open the external drive in File Explorer, then I can see the files and folders?

This is quite important for me, just in case to know that if something goes wrong, I can simple Copy Paste the files from the external drive back to my normal hard disk.

Suppose you use File History on an external drive. Can you please open the external drive in File Explorer and provide a screenshot of how it looks like? I mean the folders and files on the root for example.

MarkosMevorah, Aug 20, 2017
  3. RicW-nw Win User
    How do I transfer all my videos, music, pictures, documents etc from a Windows 7/8 Laptop to a Desktop Windows 10?

Hi - my advice would be to purchase a suitably sized external (usb) hard drive... they are relatively inexpensive... copy and paste your personal folders from the laptop to the drive, then in turn plug the drive into the new desktop and copy and paste them
    into the relevant folders there. Keep the files on the external drive as back-up copies (remembering to add new material as it is created) and you'll always have a fall-back if something goes wrong!

Regards- Ric.

RicW-nw, Aug 20, 2017
Thema:

Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug?

1. Copy/Paste Screenshots folder to external drive - windows bug? - Similar Threads - Copy Paste Screenshots

2. Mouse copy-paste bug in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse copy-paste bug in Windows 11: There is a bug when you try to copy and paste any file to your desktop because it takes the first position top left corner at the desktop.This bug not exists if you copy-paste your files with keyboard ctrl+c - ctrl+vVideo Of Bug...
  3. Mouse copy-paste bug in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse copy-paste bug in Windows 11: There is a bug when you try to copy and paste any file to your desktop because it takes the first position top left corner at the desktop.This bug not exists if you copy-paste your files with keyboard ctrl+c - ctrl+vVideo Of Bug...
  4. Windows 10 screenshot folder bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 screenshot folder bug: 1. Hello few months ago i wanted to rename my screenshots because around 100 of them has weird names like: r1, r2 etc.After renaming many of them disappeared but not all, 500 screenshots remained all of them were old, by old i mean few months. I was searching how to recover...
  5. Windows 10 screenshot folder bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 screenshot folder bug: 1. Hello few months ago i wanted to rename my screenshots because around 100 of them has weird names like: r1, r2 etc.After renaming many of them disappeared but not all, 500 screenshots remained all of them were old, by old i mean few months. I was searching how to recover...
  6. Windows 10 screenshot folder bug

7. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  8. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  9. Copy paste screenshots broken on latest release

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copy paste screenshots broken on latest release: So I have 2 computers, a laptop and a tower, both with windows 10 obviously, and the same problem occurs on them. The issue is that some times, more often than not, when i take a screenshot (with Win + Shift + S) I cannot paste it in my documents, even if it appears to be...
  10. Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error when I copy paste files on another folder or external drive.: When I copy paste a folder to another folder or external drive I get the following error: Destination Path too long. I can't just simply rename the folder or move thing around because it's files from projects like android studio and unity. Any solutions? Thanks in advance....