Windows 10: copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd?

Discus and support copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a WD black 1 TB drive as my C: boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7 and I want to move the whole C: contents to the a new 2TB solid state hybrid... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by John J.Pellegrino, Jun 10, 2019.

1. copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd?

I have a WD black 1 TB drive as my C: boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7 and I want to move the whole C: contents to the a new 2TB solid state hybrid FireCuda drive and I just want to know if the new ss hd drive will boot?

(I remember in the past a situation doing a transfer like this was different.)

I don't have a W10 DVD, but my W10 upgrade works fine and I just want a bit more performance.

:)

John J.Pellegrino, Jun 10, 2019
  2. Jayanuba Win User

W10 corrupts W7 hard drive

W8.1 was working fine as a removable hard drive. W7 installed on a RAID array as multi partitions. Works fine and both OS can be booted and W8.1 reads the RAID array when booting as W8.1

W10 upgrade completed on removable 8.1 drive, but then checked RAID drives for errors and changed them.

W7 on raid no longer boots. After severel hours W7 finally re-installed on RAID array. (data is on other partition so ok.) Tested working all data recovered.

Here's the kicker.

As soon as I boot from W10 it says "reboot required to fix drives" then corrupts the Windows 7 install... Which doesn't need fixed!!

The drive containing W7 OS becomes unreadable although other data partitions on the RAID array are OK.

W7 recovery tries to fix the hard drive then fails.

W10 changed drive letters first attempt, so I thought this an easy fix, but in fact every fresh W7 install is corrupted as soon as I boot from W10.

This is a major problem. Why is W10 changing the drive parameters on a completely seperate fully operational operating system?

Jayanuba, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Trapper Win User
    New W10 Hard Drive advice, keeping W7 HD available ?

Hi.
    I have W7 64 bit running on a WD 3.5” 500gb SATA internal drive, 5400RPM with 32MB Buffer, I wish to keep this drive and all its information available after a clean install of W10 64bit.

I have now purchased a new WD 1TB SATA drive, 7200RPM with 64MB buffer, on this drive I intend to put a clean install of W10 64bit. As I know from past problems there will always be problems with missing drivers etc when installing programs onto a new system, This is why I want my W7 drive available so I can copy information across if needed. However with MS licence rules I cannot have both W7 and W10 running together (Unless I want to purchase a new W10 Pro, which I don’t). I was not sure of my best options *Confused, but I was sure where to ask! *Wink

Not very knowledgeable on this but would it best to Copy my whole W7 drive to a spare HD partition? I have two external HD’s with plenty of space that I copy it to. Or, - and this may be a stupid idea but ignorance is bliss as they say – I noted, (when I formatted and partitioned into two 500GB drives on my old XP machine in readiness to install on my W7 PC) it needed to be ‘Activated’ in order to make it boot-able, so would changing my W7 HD to ‘Un-activated’ mean it would no longer boot and so I could leave it in place? Would this work in reverse if I wanted to go back to W7?

I guess life is never that easy though!

Your suggestions would be appreciated, I would also prefer to keep it as simple as possible. I have Partition Wizard to copy it, or is there something better, if so what? Should the destination partition be Logical or Primary? does it matter? That sort of thing would be a great help.

Many thanks.

Trapper, Jun 10, 2019
  4. radorn Win User

copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd?

Windows Update stalls in fresh W7 install after W10 upgrade. and more things

New user here.
    Thanks in advance for your attention and sorry if this was answered already, but I couldn't seem to find it, so here it is.

In the last few days I've had 2 problems with Windows 7 SP1 after a fresh install of W7 and upgrade to W10 in a separate disk that I later just scrapped.
    After that, my current W7 installation in a different disk stopped booting and couldn't be fixed and now a fresh install of W7 just won't get updates.

So, here's how I did it.
    I have a W7 installation on a 1tb HD, which is my main daily use system. It worked correctly. I have also an SSD that I bought with the intention of using as system disk for speed.
    I read that MS uses HWIDs to keep track of whether you can use win10 or not, so I did a fresh install of W7 on that SSD (other disks disconnected so they wouldn't be "touched" by W10 just yet) and then proceeeded to upgrade to W10 from there.
    All went fine, W10 installed, I tried it, disliked it and just reconnected the older 1TB drive with my main W7 installation and started using that again. scrapped the files I was interested in keeping from my adventure in win10 from the SSD and erased it. This was about 5 days ago

Now, after using my old W7 for that time, yesterday it just wouldn't boot again. It gives up during the logo screen (the 4 colored light balls that form the glowing windows logo don't even appear) and boots into the emergency repair screen. I tried the automatic repair, the sfc program, system restore. nothing worked.
    I must say that I performed several updates and also a number of driver installs (Intel Matrix and Jmicron IDE/SATA), in addition to the w10 try-out, and intially I had no doubt that these were the culprit, but now I'm suspecting something else, because:

Now I've done a new fresh install of W7 SP1 Ultimate x64 (X17-59465) and windows update won't work. At first it says it needs to update the update client/agent, and apparently that succeeds, but when I try to get more updates after that it just doesn't seem to get anywhere. I've left it for more than 1 hour and it just keeps saying "Checking for updates...", the progress bar rolls and nothing happens.

Question is. Since I updated to W10 with this hardware and didn't perform the rollback, could it be that I'm considered W10-bound by MS's servers or something like that? If that's the case, what can I do?
    If not, any other ideas?

Also, suggestions on possible ways to recover the older installation where I still have plenty of stuff I want to recover. Not just files, as these are easy to scavenge, but stuff buried within the system that can only be extracted from within the running system, or are much easier to do that way.

radorn, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd?

1. copying a boot drive with W10 upgrade from W7, that works fine to a new ss hd? - Similar Threads - copying boot drive

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?: I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, yet I do NOT have a CD or DVD drive. Is it possible for me to upgrade to W10? My W7 is not asking me to upgrade, how come? 26562
  9. New W10 Hard Drive advice, keeping W7 HD available ?

New W10 Hard Drive advice, keeping W7 HD available ?: Hi. I have W7 64 bit running on a WD 3.5” 500gb SATA internal drive, 5400RPM with 32MB Buffer, I wish to keep this drive and all its information available after a clean install of W10 64bit. I have now purchased a new WD 1TB SATA drive, 7200RPM with 64MB buffer, on this...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...