Windows 10: copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator

Discus and support copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to copy a configuration file from one drive to another. I get the message that I don't have priveleges to copy even though I am the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DOUGLASVAUPEL, Jan 7, 2020.

1. copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator

I'm trying to copy a configuration file from one drive to another. I get the message that I don't have priveleges to copy even though I am the owner/administrator on the computer. What can I do to copy this file?

:)

DOUGLASVAUPEL, Jan 7, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file"

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with copying files from expansion drive to the computer.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the issue specific with a file?
    • Did you tried copying the file to a different location?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Damaged files.
    I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 2: I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator

1. copying a file when i'm not recognized as administrator - Similar Threads - copying file i'm

2. I'm an administrator but denied access to certain files that requires an administrative account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm an administrator but denied access to certain files that requires an administrative account: performed a recovery because pc was running slow. no problems with recovery. now however, I cannot install a certain driver update. Only 1 out of 14 fails, says I don't have admin privledges. All others installed fine.tried all suggestions i could find on this site. still...
  3. You’ll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

in Windows 10 News
    You’ll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file: [ATTACH]While copying files or folders from one location to another location on a Windows computer, some users encountered the You’ll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file error. This error also occurs while copying or moving the files to an external...
  4. Windows not recognizing administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows not recognizing administrator: Today I got on my laptop and it was running off so I went to reboot it. When I click the windows button in the corner and press the power it says, “There are currently no power options available.” So I thought that’s weird and I started looking around at other things. I tried...
  5. "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file"

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file": I've seen other locked threads about this, but none of them suggested solutions that I have been able to get to work. I am trying to copy MP3 files from an old computer to a new one, via an external hard drive. When I attempt to transfer them from the hard drive to the new...
  6. Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why not recognized as an Administrator for file deletion?: My Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.657) PC created a memory dump file as the result of a BSoD. After rebooting, File Explorer showed a blank for its owner. I TAKEOWNed the file so my personal account was the owner and also ICACLS /reset its access list. Its only attribute was/is...
  7. I'm no longer an Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'm no longer an Administrator: I'm logging in with my main microsoft account and my user is the only user and it's an Administrator, but Suddenly I lost my right as an Administrator and my account now is guist account, I cant instal apps or running cmd [ATTACH]...
  8. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file: Greetings, I am trying to copy some files from my old computer to my new one. Old computer is Windows 7 Pro. New computer is Windows 10 Pro. I'm using an external USB hard drive to do the transfer. Most files and folders are moving just fine. One will not copy from the...
  9. Not Recognized as Administrator

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not Recognized as Administrator: I've read all the posts that apply when my computer isn't recognizing me as the Administrator. The general comment about using cmd in the command window and right-clicking on it to select "Run as Admin" doesn't work because I don't get that selection. When I try the other...
  10. Not recognized as administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not recognized as administrator: I'm trying to install a program but get this prompt. It's the same for all programs. [ATTACH] It seems i cant do anything as an administrator even though i'm the only user on the computer and didnt have this problem before. I tried running CMD as administrator but received...