Windows 10: copying damaged files from CD/DVD?

Discus and support copying damaged files from CD/DVD? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there a rugged copy program that can copy a partially corrupted file (*.mpg) from a CD/DVD onto your H/D? What happens is that when the normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ceapsuks56, Oct 19, 2015.

1. copying damaged files from CD/DVD?

Is there a rugged copy program that can copy a partially corrupted file (*.mpg) from a CD/DVD onto your H/D? What happens is that when the normal windows copy operation encounters that portion of the DVD that is faulty, it tries over and over again (endlessly, it seems) and then just hangs and I have to reboot, forcing that irritating wait for it to scan the C and D drives on reboot. This occurs with any program I try that attempts to read the entire file from the DVD, such as PowerDVD, windows explorer copy,
    Media Player, windvd, dos copy, etc. I assume it is because a cluster with a faulty cyclic check is encountered, and the windows read operation can't just accept the data anyway and proceed, but, instead, keeps on trying to reread and getting the same cyclic error over and over again. What I need is a read option that "accepts" the error, transfers the bad cluster as it came across (errors and all), and then continues until it reaches end of data. I get this when some of my home-recorded mpg movies hang up somewhere in the middle, but, if I know in advance and skip over the bad part, the remainder of the movie plays just fine. I need a program that will ignore the cyclic error and just go on. I know we had this back when I did mainframe programming (the ACCEPT option), so I wonder if there is any windows program that does the same for mpeg files on CD's or DVD"s.

:)

ceapsuks56, Oct 19, 2015

2. Burning music files using windows media player and windows10

You may try creating a CD with different media. Sometimes certain CD-R and CD-RW drives have issues with writable CD media from a particular manufacturer. You may also try selecting a different set of content to copy to CD. If this resolves the issue,
    the media files you cannot copy may have protection policy in place or damaged.

Let us know if you need further help.

Jenicel Dri, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Unable to copy files from FAT32 external drive (0x80004005)

I lost that CD, but I copied the files using a copying software (Teracopy, and unstoppable copy) and it did get copied, but there were damaged sectors, althought not too much.

One last question:

How can I change my new hard-drive to Ntfs, and should it be formatted?

Thanks alot.

Abdulsalam Albuhaiya, Oct 19, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

copying damaged files from CD/DVD?

I know that ConeDVD could do that - back in the day. Would be worth a try, if it works with your CD.

Another idea is to freeze the CD in your freezer. Put it into a plastic bag and make sure it is absolutely waterproof. This is important to keep condensed water away from the disc (and even more important: from your drive). Once it is cold you can try reading it again. This might give better results; should the CD get warm during reading, make it cold again.

Joergi, Oct 19, 2015
  5. shimshom Win User
    There's a giveaway in the link below that might help but I can't comment on how good or bad the program is as never tried it
    Edit: The give away is now finished but there are other programs to do the same
    Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily

shimshom, Oct 20, 2015
  6. ericekbom Win User
    Attempt to repair the damaged CDs, another methods represented on next strings

https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/how-to-recover-data-from-corrupted-cd-disk/26571
    https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-recover-data-from-a-corrupted-CD-disk
    https://www.repairtoolbox.com/cdfreerepair.html CD Repair Toolbox Free

CD/DVD get scratched due to regular use. You can use following methods to recover data. I assure you that after using these methods, you will have all your data.

• Clean the CD/DVD properly as dust can be a reason.
    • Use a CD/DVD writer instead a CD/DVD reader device for such corrupted disks, because DVD writer are more powerful than DVD reader.
    • If nothing happens, then you should opt for a third party data recovery software. This is the best way to recover data from CD/DVD/Blue-Ray disks.

ericekbom, Oct 28, 2015
  7. RolandJS Win User
    Steller and R-Studio [both data recovery packages] can do what you want. However, they each cost! I have MiniTool Power Data Recovery and Ultimate Restorer, however, some sources indicate Steller and R-Studio are stronger in dealing with bad sectors/clusters. DiskInternals was also mentioned, I forgot where DI stood in the lineup.

RolandJS, Oct 28, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

CD Recovery Toolbox, for example. (Freeware). As to the degree of success or likelihood of getting a usable file.. well, if it's a video file you may have to do some post processing with a converter of some sort that tolerates a degree of corruption in the recovered file. No guarantees.

Oddly enough, wiping the surface of a damaged CD/DVD with a banana skin is recommended by some. (Search e.g. damaged CD banana skin & you'll even get youtube videos etc).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. copying damaged files from CD/DVD? - Similar Threads - copying damaged files

2. copying files from old cd unpossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying files from old cd unpossible: Can't copy files from CD cut 2005 to Windows 10 office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-from-old-cd-unpossible/921663dd-0ad6-42f0-895c-e6d1e67aa561
  3. copying files from old cd unpossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copying files from old cd unpossible: Can't copy files from CD cut 2005 to Windows 10 office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-from-old-cd-unpossible/921663dd-0ad6-42f0-895c-e6d1e67aa561
  4. copying files from old cd unpossible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. no cd\dvd in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no cd\dvd in file explorer: file explorer no showing cd\dvd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cddvd-in-file-explorer/8b78080c-70ab-47be-a862-4a7f233c59fa
  6. Error Copying PST File from DVD

Error Copying PST File from DVD: Hello, I have recently got a new work email account, and wanted to import all my old emails. I knew that I would no longer have access to my old account files and emails, so I exported everything I needed from Outlook into a PST File and copped it to a DVD+R DL. However,...
  7. Windows 10 COPY CD/DVD single drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 COPY CD/DVD single drive: I feel like a dinosuar. I'm new to Windows 10. I was able to burn a CD/DVD using native Win 10 (and make additional copies when doing so), but I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out how to COPY a CD/DVD. How do I COPY disks using (native) Win 10? If that's even an...
  8. copying pdf. files from one CD to another

copying pdf. files from one CD to another: I'm using windows 10 and windows media player. I want to copy a CD that has pdf files to a new CD. When I drag the files, to the "drag files here" location, nothing shows on the list....
  9. Boot from CD/DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot from CD/DVD: I need to run the gparted (Linux app) booting from the CDROM. Now I do not find the option for booting from CD/DVD in windows 10 any more. I have done it before, but it seems to have disappeared in Windows 10. Any Ideas? 59956
  10. Help with copying files to CD

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with copying files to CD: I cannot figure out how to burn some files to a CD. I put a blank in the drive and try to copy files to the CD by opening a window of the source and the drive as the target. I click and drag the files from the source to the target window and I get the following response. It...