Windows 10: copying data to internal drive with sata adapter

Discus and support copying data to internal drive with sata adapter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a 1tb hard drive. I have been having this problem for weeks. I cant copy the files to the desktop because it uses USB 2.0. I have to copy the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kevin Greaves, Mar 22, 2020.

1. copying data to internal drive with sata adapter

I have a 1tb hard drive. I have been having this problem for weeks. I cant copy the files to the desktop because it uses USB 2.0. I have to copy the files from the hard drive to a usb to sata adapter using my other desktop which has usb 3.0. The files are almost 200gb and are stored in multiple folders. I copy the files and I can see that they are there after I copy them. So I safely eject the hard drive. Put it back into the desktop and boot it up. None of my files are there. It takes about 10 mkinutes and it shows my drive has less storage space than before. which is correct because of the files. My files are not there even when I show hidden system files. About a minute later it says it has to check the drive for errors. When it is completed I go back to the drive. It still has the storage but this time it shows a hidden system folder. that says found.000. All my copied files are there but they are scrambled in different folders. It would take me 6 hours to get this straightened out. What is going on? I know they copied successfully. It seems like chkdsk finds the files and then puts them in the found.000 folder.

:)

Kevin Greaves, Mar 22, 2020

2. Windows 10 BSOD while copying a 1.8GB file from one internal (fixed) SATA drive to another internal SATA drive

I suppose I can reply to my own question.

After thinking about this for a while, it occurred to me to try copying the same file to different internal SATA and/or USB drives to see if the problem could be reproduced.

Here is how I could reproduce the original issue to produce a BSOD:

Copy W:\File.ext Q:\File.ext

Since I have seven internal drives, including the source drive, and three external USB drives, I tried each of the following:

Copy W:\File.ext C:\File.ext

Copy W:\File.ext D:\File.ext

Copy W:\File.ext I:\File.ext

Copy W:\File.ext K:\File.ext

Copy W:\File.ext U:\File.ext

Each drive above is an internal SATA hard drive. Each destination drive below is an external USB drive.

Copy W:\File.ext F:\File.ext

Copy W:\File.ext G:\File.ext

Copy W:\File.ext L:\File.ext

Each of the copies above worked perfectly. However when I again tried:

as expected I got a BSOD. Obviously the problem is either with Drive Q: or with the controller card.

I have six SATA ports on my motherboard. Some years ago, I decided to increase the number of hard drives on my system, I bought a really cheap controller card with two extra SATA ports. The cheap controller card didn't indicate any problems under Windows
    7 so I never thought about it.

I switched the SATA data connections on Drive Q: and Drive I: and ran the following commands:

Copy W:\File.ext I:\File.ext

The first command worked while the second command produced a BSOD.

Problem solved: Get a new SATA controller card.

Hawk McDuck, Mar 22, 2020
  3. SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I have a SATA internal HDD that supposed to be my main operational disk but I bought a "lay flat docking station" for Another SATA internal HDD that I cloned from my internal drive on my tower. But now I look at the properties on both drives and they both
    say they are online. Is it bad to have them working that way because I don't know what drive is working at any given time? I'm assuming I need to go into the BIOS and set it to which drive I want?

deerpark243, Mar 22, 2020
  4. abrogard Win User

copying data to internal drive with sata adapter

Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end.

copying data to internal drive with sata adapter :)

Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just hooked up to a SATA port on my H170 board?

There are currently two seagate drive SATA connected and the DVD drive. And an external Seagate on USB.

I put the WD in and I can see it in device manager but nowhere else.

I have a couple of screenshots:

copying data to internal drive with sata adapter [​IMG]

copying data to internal drive with sata adapter [​IMG]

Can anyone help?

abrogard, Mar 22, 2020
Thema:

copying data to internal drive with sata adapter

1. copying data to internal drive with sata adapter - Similar Threads - copying data internal

2. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  3. Internal SATA SSD isn't recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal SATA SSD isn't recognised: Hello, I wanted to upgrade my PC from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but kept getting an error. In the process of trying to upgrade, I somehow managed to get my PC to stop recognising one of the secondary hard drives, internally connected to the PC. The only thins that I...
  4. Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive: I did the copy, but do I just change the drive letters in Disk Management? The data is fine, I just don't know where to go from here. IOW, I copied my smaller disk E (Platter drive) to larger disk G (SSD) and would like it to function just like the smaller E drive did....
  5. Transferring Data from one internal drive to another

Transferring Data from one internal drive to another: Hello, I want to get a new hard drive that is faster and has more storage, and I have one picked out. What I need help with is figuring out how I can transfer all of my current information to the new drive when I get it. I am looking for something like a 3rd party solution or...
  6. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA): Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (G:) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly reduced with the latest (1903) but still occurs under certain circumstances which is critical as it causes backups to fail....
  7. Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing: I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end. *Smile Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just hooked up to a SATA port on my H170 board? There are currently two seagate drive SATA connected and the DVD drive. And an...
  8. Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media

Internal SATA Drives show up as removeable media: After clean install of Win 10 ver 1803 two (2) internal hard drives now appear in taskbar as removable and in fact can be removed....neither are the primary drive but backup drives....anyone else having this situation...have attempted registry changes as outlined below but...
  9. Internal SATA drives show as removable

Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...
  10. SATA to USB Adapter - Drive Not Seen

SATA to USB Adapter - Drive Not Seen: Hi Guys, I have one of those newfangled SATA-to-USB adapters for internal hard drives. I have attempted to hook up two of them - one is a WD Caviar 500GB; another is a Seagate Barracuda 3000GB. I am not able to see inside them. If I go to Windows 10 computer (disk)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy hard drive using sata adapter

2. sata to usb view files

3. copying files using sata to usb adapter