Windows 10: copying Desktop and Start Menu to Another Computer

Discus and support copying Desktop and Start Menu to Another Computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I would like to duplicate my Desktop and Start Menu to my backup computer. Is there a way to do it? Perhaps using Macrium maybe? Thank you. 141011 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bluewind, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Bluewind Win User

copying Desktop and Start Menu to Another Computer

I would like to duplicate my Desktop and Start Menu to my backup computer. Is there a way to do it? Perhaps using Macrium maybe?

Thank you.

:)

Bluewind, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Ruz San Win User

Copy pinned start menu apps from one user to another user, Windows 10

Hi Richard,

Doing this may require more advanced steps than simply copying a file from the AppData folder. Kindly answer these questions so we can assist you better:

• Will you be doing this for different users on the same computer, or for different computers in a domain?
    • Did you find a suggestion worth trying? How did it go?

You can follow these steps if you will be applying the changes to multiple user accounts on a single computer:

• Customize the Start menu for one user account on the computer.
    • Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you are prompted for access.
    • Copy and paste this command in the window: powershell export-startlayout –path
      %UserProfile%\Desktop\Default_Start_Screen_Layout.xml -as xml
    • Press Enter.
    • You will find a file on the desktop named Default_Start_Screen_Layout.xml (you can rename it or move it to another location).
    • Click on Start.
    • Type Edit group policy then press
      Enter
    • Open all the user accounts you want the changes to be applied to.
    • Expand Start Menu and Taskbar and double-click on
      Start Screen Layout.
    • Select Enabled.
    • Type the full path of the .xml file you created in the
      Start Layout File field.
    • Click Apply then OK.
    Let us know how the steps above work out for you.

Regards.

Ruz San, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Bluewind Win User

I would like to duplicate my Desktop and Start Menu to my backup computer. Is there a way to do it? Perhaps using Macrium maybe?

Thank you.

Bluewind, Sep 24, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Hi,
    Desktop
    a. Contents: The desktop is just a folder as I guess you know. If it contains shortcuts, then you'd also need the target of those shortcuts to be in place, so simply copying that may be meaningless.

b. Layout. It may be that you could use a 3rd party tool such as DesktopOK to save and restore the layout. I've no idea how that would work in this context.

c. Wallpaper/background. You'd need to make arrangements to transfer that.

Start Menu
    This is basically two distinct sets of folders containing shortcuts. As you'd need the programs corresponding to those shortcuts to be installed, considering the Start Menu alone as you seem to be doing seems to be meaningless.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. copying Desktop and Start Menu to Another Computer - Similar Threads - copying Desktop Start

2. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  3. Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a shortcut in the Start Menu to another FOLDER in the Start Menu: Gotta be doing something wrong.Have a program "FATSorter.exe." Found it in the C:/Program Files x86 directory. Right clicked on it > Create shortcut and added the shortcut to my desktop. Right clicked on the desktop icon for the shortcut and >Pin to Start Menu. Evidently, I...
  4. How can I copy my start menu tiles to another drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I copy my start menu tiles to another drive?: I have a ton of custom tiles on my Start Menu, but just installed Windows10 again on a new drive. I'd like to migrate the tiles over to my new OS. I've seen a few articles about copying a certain XML file, but did not seem to work when I placed it on my new OS. Any known...
  5. How can I copy my start menu tiles to another drive?

How can I copy my start menu tiles to another drive?: I have a ton of custom tiles on my Start Menu, but just installed Windows10 again on a new drive. I'd like to migrate the tiles over to my new OS. I've seen a few articles about copying a certain XML file, but did not seem to work when I placed it on my new OS. Any known...
  6. "Computer" on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Computer" on start menu: Where do I find "computer" and how do I get it on my start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-on-start-menu/158de625-5024-44e9-b8d5-f4cb7e11185d
  7. Another start menu question

Another start menu question: I used to be able to hit the windows key, start typing "path" or "environment" and the suggestion to modify my path will come up. Since a few days ago, this is no longer true. No sure what changed. Any ideas how to fix this? submitted by /u/JackeJR [link] [comments]...
  8. Copy Start Menu to Another Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy Start Menu to Another Computer: I have my Start Menu under W10 Pro set pretty much like I like it and would like to transfer it to my laptop also running Pro. Is there a way I can copy it to the laptop? Thanks. 132224
  9. Need to copy pinned start menu from one user profile to another

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need to copy pinned start menu from one user profile to another: Need to copy pinned start menu from one user profile to another Is this possible ? thanks 29699
  10. Yet another Start Menu problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Yet another Start Menu problem: I'm sorry to bother everybody with yet another Start Menu issue, but I've tried various things and just can't get it fixed. The only thing the Start Menu shows me when left clicking on it is a list of recently changed apps. Typing the name of an app doesn't produce anything....