Windows 10: Copying down file folders with names and growing dates

Discus and support Copying down file folders with names and growing dates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good evening I have to make multiple folders with the same name but a different date for each day. Is there a way to do this without having to name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RyanPB1981, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Copying down file folders with names and growing dates

Good evening

I have to make multiple folders with the same name but a different date for each day.

Is there a way to do this without having to name 30 folders in a month "2019.6.17 Job Progress Pics"

:)

RyanPB1981, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Copying down file folders with names and growing dates

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create multiple folders of same name with progressive dates, I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works for you.

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the location where you want the folders to be created.
    • On the address bar, where the folder path is displayed, erase the folder path and type
      CMD to open a Command Prompt window.
    • Once the Command Prompt window opens, copy paste the following command and hit Enter:

for %d in (2019.6.17 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.18 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.19 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.20 Job Progress Pics, etc) do mkdir %d

Note:

Replace ‘etc’ with rest of the dates for the month. (Eg: ‘2019.6.X Job Progress Pics’ where X is the date)

• Exit Command Prompt and see if multiple folders are created with the progressive dates on the preferred location.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Junaid_A Win User

Hi Ryan,

• Have you not added the name ‘Job Progress Pics’
      along with the dates?

Seems like you’ve missed out adding the name Job Progress Pics
    along with the progressive dates. The folders in the form of progressive dates is good, but the names are missing.

The command should be in the format:

for %d in (2019.6.17 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.18 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.19 Job Progress Pics, 2019.6.20 Job Progress Pics, XYZ Job Progress Pics)
    do mkdir %d

Note:

Add the dates you prefer along with the name
    Job Progress Picsin place of
    Xyz.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 26, 2019
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Copying down file folders with names and growing dates - Similar Threads - Copying down file

2. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  3. Sort folders by date in name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sort folders by date in name: Is it possible to sort my folders by dates in their names? They're named in DDMM format, e.g. 22.10. Ty https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sort-folders-by-date-in-name/dc463081-1a24-419e-8036-af7f70f634ca
  4. Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?: Hi, I've recently ran into a conundrum that I can't find a solution to. I am trying to organise my collection of photographs. Since a lot of photos only have a random set of letters and numbers for a name such as IMG_78953, it makes sense to order them in their folders by the...
  5. Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?: Hi, I've recently ran into a conundrum that I can't find a solution to. I am trying to organise my collection of photographs. Since a lot of photos only have a random set of letters and numbers for a name such as IMG_78953, it makes sense to order them in their folders by the...
  6. Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Folder Sorting by date in name

File Folder Sorting by date in name: I have folders where the name starts with the date. IE: 04.14.21 Name, which is April 14, 2021. How do I sort these by Newest to Oldest date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-sorting-by-date-in-name/618a448c-717d-40bb-870b-a52badbddc56
  8. Adding date to the name of files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding date to the name of files and folders: Hi, I would like to add the "Date Created" or "Date Modified" to any files or folders. Possibly by right-clicking on it and running a script from the context menu. Can that be done with autohotkey, batch file or VBS ? Any help would be appreciated example: "test.txt" to...
  9. Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names

Copy files with similar names to folders with similar names: Hello, I am using windows and have the following situation: I have multiple PDF files which naming system is as following: 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1801 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1802 0. AAL00-SPI-FOR-535-1807 I also have folders that are named as following:...
  10. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675