Windows 10: copying EFS files encrypted files

Discus and support copying EFS files encrypted files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Radu1985, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Radu1985 Win User

copying EFS files encrypted files

Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this home on test vm`s and could see that the no one except the owner could move the encrypted file even on the same volume. Could some please assist with an answer?Why did i get this result and why did the guy post that answer?Thank you

:)

Radu1985, Jun 25, 2022

2. Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jun 25, 2022
  3. IT_Nights Win User
    EFS copying , moving files

Hello, I am preparing for the MD-100 certification and I have a question about copying or moving EFS files.

According to Exam Ref MD-100 Windows 10 by Andrew Bettany on page #188 "EFS will prevent attempts to copy or move encrypted data by anyone except users who have the proper credentials".

But, I was able to move EFS encrypted files within the same drive using another user account. So, my question is: can EFS files be moved or copied by another user? can they be copied to external drives ? Any information on this subject is greatly appreciated

Thanks

IT_Nights, Jun 25, 2022
  4. Meisha Win User

Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

Meisha, Jun 25, 2022
Thema:

1. copying EFS files encrypted files - Similar Threads - copying EFS files

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  8. copying EFS files encrypted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  9. EFS copying , moving files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS copying , moving files: Hello, I am preparing for the MD-100 certification and I have a question about copying or moving EFS files. According to Exam Ref MD-100 Windows 10 by Andrew Bettany on page #188 "EFS will prevent attempts to copy or move encrypted data by anyone except users who have the...
  10. Unable to copy EFS encrypted file onto another PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy EFS encrypted file onto another PC: Hi, I had encrypted some files on my laptop running Windows 10. The laptop fell & broke and is now unusable. Fortunately, I had backed up the EFS certificate using my login on the laptop. And fortunately, the encrypted files were also backed up on an external HDD. So far so...