Windows 10: Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file

Discus and support Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a folder that contains approx. 17,000 images, I want to copy only those images, whose filenames are listed in a text file. The text file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by khalidWaleed99, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file

I have a folder that contains approx. 17,000 images, I want to copy only those images, whose filenames are listed in a text file. The text file contains approx. 1000 file names.

Is there a command that I can use on cmd or power shell to automate this process? Otherwise I will have to manually go through all those 17,000 files and copy the ones that are listed in text file which seems impossible

:)

khalidWaleed99, Mar 31, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Mar 31, 2019
  4. seymoria Win User

Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file

How to copy a list of file names in a folder to text file?

Hi.
    Below link shows a method to do that, but its probably for older versions of windows.
    How to Copy a List of Files in a Windows Folder Into an Excel List | Chron.com

In windows 10, when I Shift+right click on a folder to open the Powershell window and type dir /b > dirlist.txt to generate a text file of filenames in the folder, this command is returned as invalid.

Would be grateful for any help.
    Regards.

seymoria, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file

1. Copying files from a folder using filenames from a text file - Similar Threads - Copying files folder

2. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  3. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  4. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  6. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files: HiI want to rename all files on a folder with the file names from the different folder. like I have some files in "folder 1" with all deferent names. I want to rename files in "folder 2" with same names as in "folder 1"It's like copying names from one folder to anotherPlz...
  7. Renaming multiple files from a text file or copy names from other group of files

8. Copying files/folders from external drive to windows

Copying files/folders from external drive to windows: Hi, I have a new windows 11 laptop and am bringing files/folders from my external drive across. Sometimes its a seamless copy and paste. Other times it flashes up "preparing" to copy folder to folder then the pop up window shuts without actually copying and sometimes it just...
  9. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675
  10. Problems Copying a file from Downloads folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems Copying a file from Downloads folder?: .exe files in particular won't copy from my Downloads folder to another drive? It says something like " Do you wish to Copy with missing files? " Thanks 49175

Users found this page by searching for:

1. quick way of copying filenames to text file powershell

2. copy folders from a text file

3. powershell copy files using filenames