Windows 10: Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied...

Discus and support Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've been experiencing this problem for the past few months. When I copy any file from external HDD to my C drive, right at the beginning of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SpanglyMite3653, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied...

Hello,

I've been experiencing this problem for the past few months. When I copy any file from external HDD to my C drive, right at the beginning of the copying, space of the file size is allocated on C and then the copying continues normally, as it gradually takes up (again) the space of the file size. So in the end the copied file takes up double the space of the copied file size. The additional allocated space gets freed eventually after some time or after Windows restart. I hadn't experienced this issue before a few months ago. I haven't done any changes to any settings of any kind. I haven't used my external HDDs with different PCs. So I presume that the issue started after some Windows update. I had been using these HDDs with this PC for over a year without this issue. I have found three articles where other users described similar issue, but I haven't gotten any solution of them.
    I would really like some help, because it is really a great nuisance. I'm attaching screen shots.

Thank you.

Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied... [​IMG]
    Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied... [​IMG]

:)

SpanglyMite3653, Mar 7, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 7, 2019
  3. Krazy Owl Win User
    What software to copy HDD ?

I got everything already installed on a 250gigs hdd and wanna transfer the whole setup to a 320gig more recent hdd.

I want it really simple.

Do I just copy and paste the C: to send it to the other drive or i use a software you can suggest me?

I will just open the case plug in the free hdd and copy files there. Then after screw it there and close the case.

Thank you.

Krazy Owl, Mar 7, 2019
  4. Wozzer Win User

Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied...

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied...

1. Copying files from external HDD to C takes up temporarily double the space of the copied... - Similar Threads - Copying files external

2. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.: [ATTACH] After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes (animates 0% to 100% complete) but the folder did not get moved or copied. Happens when trying to move/copy folders larger then...
  3. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  4. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  5. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Sluggish copying of Windows.old from C drive to External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sluggish copying of Windows.old from C drive to External HDD: As I have upgraded to Windows 11 from 10, A "Windows. old" folder was created of 32GB. Consuming 32GB is quite devastating for me. So I opt for moving it to my "Seagate External HDD 1TB".But the process got stuck, after 99%See ss. The five seconds meant from 9:37 am till 3:34...
  7. Sluggish copying of Windows.old from C drive to External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sluggish copying of Windows.old from C drive to External HDD: As I have upgraded to Windows 11 from 10, A "Windows. old" folder was created of 32GB. Consuming 32GB is quite devastating for me. So I opt for moving it to my "Seagate External HDD 1TB".But the process got stuck, after 99%See ss. The five seconds meant from 9:37 am till 3:34...
  8. Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ghost copy taking up my HDD space, unable to delete: After deleting a game from my laptop, Windows created a hidden file as far as I get it a safety copy of the system before the uninstall which is using up almost 90GB while it is dificult to find and for me till now impossible to delete... I have the problem for a while, but...
  9. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  10. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copying files takes more space