Windows 10: Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only

Discus and support Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there, I have an issue where I'm trying to copy a lifetime of photos from one hard drive to another. The destination drive has duplicate photos... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bensonNF, May 28, 2021.

1. Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only

Hi there,

I have an issue where I'm trying to copy a lifetime of photos from one hard drive to another. The destination drive has duplicate photos that are from the source (from a previous time I did a back-up).

The issue is that at some point Dropbox had a sync problem and renamed files on the source drive, so essentially there are thousands of duplicate files that I would like to avoid copying but they can't be tracked based on 'file name'. I'm looking for a solution to copy based on 'date modified' ONLY as to avoid copying over the doubles that now have unique files names because of the Dropbox sync issue.

Is there a possible solution using Robocopy, terminal or some program that will copy based on 'date modified' while ignoring file names?

Hoping I'm phrased that clearly enough.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/bensonNF
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bensonNF, May 28, 2021

2. Easily copy files without changing file dates

I know that if you copy an object to another drive (say, C:\ to D:\), the created and modified dates remain identical to object on the source drive.

Although the access date of the object on the destination drive does change.

c2047b52-3587-4fff-9be0-a7f2cbc1fa28, May 28, 2021
  3. Ehstii Win User
    help with simple batch file

xcopy is DOS.
    its xcopy commands...

/c = Continues copying even if errors occur.
    /d = Copies files changed on or after the specified date. If no date is given, copies only those files whose source time is newer than the destination time.
    /f = Displays full source and destination file names while copying.
    /k = Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only attributes.
    /s = Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /y = Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an existing destination file.

its easy and simple. i use it all the time to back up all the stuff on my hard drive to my external.

Ehstii, May 28, 2021
  4. Matt26 Win User

Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only

Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer

hello!

for some reason, after doing some successful folder copies (ie no errors) from my external USB drive to my RAID 1 NAS, the contents of some source folders and their respective destination folders do not match in windows explorer, ie file/folder count and size are different. other folder copies do not appear to have this issue, only a select few.

the USB drive is FAT32, the NAS is EXT3, though windows explorer sees it as NTFS.

for example, here's what i'm seeing in windows explorer when i right-click/properties on a source and destination folder..

- source folder
    folders = 575
    files = 75
    size = 28.5 GB (this is not size on disk)

- destination folder
    folders = 583
    files = 80
    size = 31.6 GB

if i hover the mouse pointer over the source folder, the tooltop shows 33.8 GB, which more closely matches the destination folder properties (tooltip for the destination folder also shows 33.8 GB).

if i look at the folder properties for the source folder under linux (parted magic live disc), the numbers are closer to what the destination shows in windows explorer, size is a couple GB higher under linux vs windows- not sure if linux serves as a good test.

my question, is what i'm seeing for the source folder properties in windows explorer a "misread", or is it possible that there was an issue with the copy process that i'm not seeing? the USB drive contains important data and i want to make sure i have an exact copy on the NAS before i wipe the USB drive to reuse it.

i've done the folder copy using a few other file managers (explorer++, xyplorer) but i get the same results.

thanks for your time!

Matt26, May 28, 2021
Thema:

Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only

1. Copying files from source to destination using 'Date created' only - Similar Threads - Copying files source

2. Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items: I am trying to move some folders and files from the source to the destination folder on the same drive.First, I tried dragging-n-dropping, but I found that while the folders and files were copied to the destination folder, they were still in the source folder. Next, I tried...
  3. Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items: I am trying to move some folders and files from the source to the destination folder on the same drive.First, I tried dragging-n-dropping, but I found that while the folders and files were copied to the destination folder, they were still in the source folder. Next, I tried...
  4. Moving files and folders from source to destination just copy and not move the items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Source and destination are same" In OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    "Source and destination are same" In OneDrive: I don't fully understand what condition is causing this, but here's what I observed: I moved some Excel spreadsheets and txt files to OneDrive so that I can work on them from either of two computers. The spreadsheet has macros that create new files, or maybe I should say...
  6. Created date on Copied file not that of source file

Created date on Copied file not that of source file: I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied. Is there a way to have the "created date" for the...
  7. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  8. the source and destination file names are the same

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the source and destination file names are the same: I get this message when trying burn files to a DVD using DVD as active storage. I can only choose Skip or Cancel. I've done both. When I move the DVD to another computer it doesn't show the files have been burned onto the DVD....
  9. Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination

Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination: Hello, I need a script to copy for example C:\file.txt to D:\file.txt and if D:\file.txt exist keep both files every time the script run. Thank you...
  10. Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder copy, source/destination contents do not match in Explorer: hello! for some reason, after doing some successful folder copies (ie no errors) from my external USB drive to my RAID 1 NAS, the contents of some source folders and their respective destination folders do not match in windows explorer, ie file/folder count and size are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the source and destination file names are the same burn to disc