Windows 10: Copying Files is Taking Forever: how To speed Up?

Discus and support Copying Files is Taking Forever: how To speed Up? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It is taking an extremely long time to copy one terrabyte of data from one internal hard drive to another internal hard drive. The transfer speed often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by planet99, Nov 22, 2020.

1. planet99 Win User

Copying Files is Taking Forever: how To speed Up?

It is taking an extremely long time to copy one terrabyte of data from one internal hard drive to another internal hard drive. The transfer speed often drops down to less than 1MB /s and often stops altogether with certain files not being able to be copied at all.

i7-6700
    win 10 64 bit (Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041)
    24GB RAM
    RTX 2060 Super

I am copying all the data from a one terabyte Western Digital WD10EADS-11M2B2 to a 4 Terrabyte Hitachi HUS724040ALE641. Both are Sata III drives.

I left it copying overnight and it is only at 37% (for one terabyte of data). It had stopped because it couldn't transfer a certain video file in .mov format.

My suspicion is that the original disk (the one terabyte drive I am copying from) is damaged. But what things should I do to rule out other problems? How can I make sure it isn't user error that is causing a problem?

On the other hand, I have used the Scan Drive function in the My computer -> Hard Drive -> Properties -> Tools -> Error Checking and it says there are no problems with the disk.

Aside from just using file explorer to copy files from one drive to another, is there some other program out there that can work more effectively with drives that might have a problem?

Thanks in advance.

:)

planet99, Nov 22, 2020
  2. EdTittel Win User

Copy and Paste taking forever

When you have a large number (and 139,466 files is a large number) of files to copy, it can (and will in your case, apparently) take a long while to build the file transfer list and then to actually perform the transfer. To a large extent this is conditioned by the speed of the source and target devices involved in the copy operation. I'm guessing we're looking at conventional (spinning) hard disks on at least one side of the transfer, if not on both sides. That said, the next time you try something like this you might want to zip up the files to be transferred first. Then you'll see if the tradeoff between reading and writing to create the ZIP file (which will also take time) improves the overall time involved when the transfer of a single, large (but also compressed) ZIP is factored into the equation.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 22, 2020
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Nov 22, 2020
  4. fusionblu Win User

File copying speed questions

Quite easily USB flash storage pen drive speed can be influenced by type of HDD or SSD inside the machine (both the physical device itself, the controller they are connected to via motherboard in terms of hardware, firmware and drivers wise), the USB controller on the particular machine (which includes hardware, firmware and drivers) and lastly there is the performance of the USB pen drive itself.

Normally you would get good USB pen drive performance from machines with the latest hardware, updated with latest firmware and software, and when the machine is used with a new USB pen drive with good performance specifications.

As for speed fluctuations the first part of the process is often done with temporary burst speed and drops down to a sustained speed, and transfer speeds can vary with different types of files such as copying a single file (often fast), multiple files (normally take longer and can take longer than copying multiple files, which are collectively the same size, as a single file) or a compressed files with either a single or multiple files inside (normally faster than uncompressed files of the same set of files which were compress into the compressed archive file).

fusionblu, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Copying Files is Taking Forever: how To speed Up? - Similar Threads - Copying Files Taking

2. Booting up takes forever on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting up takes forever on windows 10: Hello, I have a weird problem on my asus laptop, which is not listed anywhere in google, so I thought about coming here for help because I'm stuck.Ok here is my problem. Normally when I turn on my laptop, I see the asus logo then immediately under it I see the spinning circle...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  5. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. file explorer Take forever to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer Take forever to load: Hi! It is a little bit difficult to explain my problem but I will try my best. When I try to open any folder on my Desktop it takes almost 2 minutes to do so, but when I got that open I can search and "drive" around with no lag or something like this, If I go to word for...
  7. File Explorer takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer takes forever to open: Idk if it's something I've done, but right after updating Windows today the File Explorer takes 20-30s to open when I click it on the taskbar. However if I click a folder on the Desktop it opens immediately. Anyone else having the same problem or knows how to solve it?...
  8. Windows updates take forever to install, how do I speed it up?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows updates take forever to install, how do I speed it up?: The downloading is fast but it takes hours upon hours to actually install after it's downloaded even for small insignificant updates. When I click on task manager it says it's writing at 0.1 MB/s how do I speed this shit up? submitted by /u/Owwwmyknee [link] [comments]...
  9. File Explorer - takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - takes forever to open: File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years). Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but of course one must). Anyone have any ideas about how Explorer could be affected by a recent update or other event? Or...
  10. Copy and Paste taking forever

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy and Paste taking forever: Firstly hello all new to the forum and have browsed for other related issues like mine but cant seem to quite find one thats in the same context so heres my issue.. Laptop specs (its not a brilliant laptop but its quite fast) Issue: when i CTRL + C a folder and CTRL + V...