Windows 10: Copying files onto a win10 hard drive

Discus and support Copying files onto a win10 hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to figure out what MS changed in Win10. *I typically hook a screwed 10 PC's hard drive to my computer and copy all their files before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ComputerJoe, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Copying files onto a win10 hard drive

I'm trying to figure out what MS changed in Win10. *I typically hook a screwed 10 PC's hard drive to my computer and copy all their files before reinstalling windows. *Then after windows has been reinstalled I hook their hard drive to my pc and copy the files back. *Problem is there is no folder when I put it back in the customers machine. *I even created a folder in the root to copy files to. *When back in the original machine the folder is empty. *In my machine all the files show. * They are not hidden or marked system, they are not there.

:)

ComputerJoe, Jul 7, 2016

2. Old Programs

I copied C drive to external hard drive before old computer running winXPSP3 crashed. Have new computer running Win10. Some programs copied are no longer available and I do not have a disc. Is it possible to install these programs from external(WD) drive
    onto new computer? If yes HOW. Thanks

JoelCollins, Jul 7, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    how to play CDS on this compter

Hi Kathy, when you say you loaded it onto the hard drive, do you mean you copied the files from the CD to your Hard Drive?

If so, that will not work, you need to rip the Cd onto your hard drive with something like Windows Media Player . . .

DaveM121, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Copying files onto a win10 hard drive

If I understand what you are trying to say, this function is the same as it was in Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Rocky, Jul 7, 2016
  5. No. I never had a problem doing this with 7 or 8. But I copy the files with 10 and they are on the win10 hard-drive but when I put the hard-drive back in its original computer there are no files. Strange

ComputerJoe, Jul 7, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    That is strange. I'm just a hobbyist, I'm a security guard by trade, but of the 18 or so computers that I have installed Windows 10 into I have had no problem with this task.

Maybe it was just luck because I went into this whole Windows 10 thing blindly.

Rocky, Jul 7, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I have not had any problems with transferring files between computers on hard drives.

NavyLCDR, Jul 7, 2016
  8. spunk Win User

I have never had this problem either.
    What files are you copying? Are these the User Profile files? or something else?
    After copying files On your computer right click the folder you copied the files to and choose Properties. Make sure that the file is not Hidden, check the Size of the folder, take note. After attaching the other computers drive as a secondary, move the file to the new computer drive, check the properties and size of this folder on the other computers drive before removing it and attaching it to the other computer. After attaching, again, check the Properties.
    If you are copying a User Profile, move the contents of the backup file (Documents, Music, Pictures etc) to C:\Users\[NewUserName} overwriting the empty user files.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Copying files onto a win10 hard drive - Similar Threads - Copying files onto

2. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  3. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  4. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  5. Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying multiple files to an external hard drive.: I am running Windows 11 and I want to copy multiple folders containing multiple files from one external hard drive to another. Prior to my upgrading to Windows 11, I was able to perform this operation. As the following screen print shows: the copy process starts.The next...
  6. Can't download onto hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't download onto hard drive: [IMG]The space on my computer itself is nearly full, at 1.74 free of 56.9 GB. I bought a hard drive that has 298GB and absolutely nothing on it but I can't download anything to it. I don't get an option to make what I'm downloading go to the drive instead of my computer and I...
  7. Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive

Get error msg when trying to copy files onto external hard drive: I'm trying to copy all my pictures off of my hard drive onto a 3T external hard drive. I have very little disk space remaining on my hard drive. When I 'copy' the pictures file and then try to paste it to the external hard drive, I get the message "There is not enough space...
  8. Win10 will not show the files I copied on it's hard drive from a Win Vista pc

Win10 will not show the files I copied on it's hard drive from a Win Vista pc: I copied files from a hard drive in my windows vista pc onto a hard drive that came on my windows 10 computer but windows 10 will does not show those files. What do I need to do?...
  9. Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best Way To Copy Hard Drives on Win10: I have Win10 and a 2 Terabyte external drive. I want to hang small old drives off the machine and copy their contents (200G, 100G, stuff like that) to that 2 Tera drive so's I can then wipe them and perhaps use them for other purposes. Windows copy seems uncertain. I...
  10. Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh Win10 install onto a wiped wiped hard drive: My friend has an AIO desktop computer that came with Win 8 and updated to 8.1 and finally Windows 10. She had many problems with Windows 10 and her daughter wiped the hard drive clean and the computer has been sitting there doing nothing since Dec 2016 I suspect she can...