Windows 10: Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2

Discus and support Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I noticed that copying files from one drive to another became very slow and sluggish after upgrading from Windows 11 to version 22H2. Before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by HermesZum, Sep 24, 2022.

1. HermesZum Win User

Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2

Hello,I noticed that copying files from one drive to another became very slow and sluggish after upgrading from Windows 11 to version 22H2. Before the update, the speed was always above 100MB/s, now it stops at 0 for a few seconds and never exceeds 50MB/s. It became a real nightmare.To confirm it was not hardware issues, I reinstalled Windows 11 22000.1042, the problem disappeared, when I went back to upgrade to Windows 11 Version 22H2 22621.607 the speed problem returned.CPU: 12-Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 4264 MHz 43.25 x 99Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E GamingMemory DDR4: 32676 MBGra

:)

HermesZum, Sep 24, 2022
  2. fusionblu Win User

File copying speed questions

Quite easily USB flash storage pen drive speed can be influenced by type of HDD or SSD inside the machine (both the physical device itself, the controller they are connected to via motherboard in terms of hardware, firmware and drivers wise), the USB controller on the particular machine (which includes hardware, firmware and drivers) and lastly there is the performance of the USB pen drive itself.

Normally you would get good USB pen drive performance from machines with the latest hardware, updated with latest firmware and software, and when the machine is used with a new USB pen drive with good performance specifications.

As for speed fluctuations the first part of the process is often done with temporary burst speed and drops down to a sustained speed, and transfer speeds can vary with different types of files such as copying a single file (often fast), multiple files (normally take longer and can take longer than copying multiple files, which are collectively the same size, as a single file) or a compressed files with either a single or multiple files inside (normally faster than uncompressed files of the same set of files which were compress into the compressed archive file).

fusionblu, Sep 24, 2022
  3. Rubnik Win User
    File copying speed questions

Hello,
    a few days ago while copying a file to my flash drive, and painfully watching the speed at 2Mb\s this subject kinda intrigued me (especially because my first thought was that something is wrong with my drive*Eek! Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2 :eek:)

So anyway, say I'd like to copy a file from Drive A to B. From the little I know, copying speed should be determined by drive's A read speed, drive's B write speed, and the connection speed(usb 2\3, sata etc)?Essentially the copying speed being the slowest? Like in my case the write speed of my old USB drive?

Also why does the copy speed fluctuate? For example for my flash drive starts copying at about 6mb\s, and then for the most part stays at 2mb\s.Same happens with my SSD and HDD but thankfully at MUCH MUCH higher speeds *Respect :respect:

Rubnik, Sep 24, 2022
  4. KomouPoji Win User

how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Sep 24, 2022
Thema:

1. Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2 - Similar Threads - Copying files speed

2. Copying files from one user account to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying files from one user account to another: I am trying to copy the user account files from one user account to another user account both admin accounts. I am using the hidden Administrator account to do this, but when I copy the files from one account and attempt to paste them into the public account while logged into...
  3. Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive: Recently, I purchased an external hard drive to free up some space on my C drive, i transferred my documents and videos and whatever over, and it worked fine, then i tried to move microsoft flight simulator over which is a 193 gb file, it moved over but i noticed the storage...
  4. Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive

Storage won't decrease after moving file to another drive: Recently, I purchased an external hard drive to free up some space on my C drive, i transferred my documents and videos and whatever over, and it worked fine, then i tried to move microsoft flight simulator over which is a 193 gb file, it moved over but i noticed the storage...
  5. How to copy a file from one server to another ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy a file from one server to another ?: Hello, I have a basic question of how to copy a file in one server to another server that I need your help?For example , I have this file in my server : test-myserver-sql1C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\DTS\Binn\dtutil.exeAnd I want to copy it to my second server :...
  6. Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2

Copying files speed from one drive to another decreases after update to 22H2: Hello,I noticed that copying files from one drive to another became very slow and sluggish after upgrading from Windows 11 to version 22H2. Before the update, the speed was always above 100MB/s, now it stops at 0 for a few seconds and never exceeds 50MB/s. It became a real...
  7. Copying files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from one drive to another: Hello, I am copying my useless files from my small storaged ssd to my harddrive, but when i copy over the files their sizes are 10x bigger, the files im copying is only 7.20 gb large but it's copying 70gb worth of storage to my hdd? Please give answers :) submitted by...
  8. copying from one external hard drive to another

copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  9. Copying files from one computer to another.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copying files from one computer to another.: I have several NTFS formatted portable HDDs that when new files are copied onto them from one machine and I attempt to read them on another machine the new files don't appear. I've tried to use chkdsk in command mode with the /f switch, but that will not run because I'm...
  10. How to copy from one flash drive to another?

How to copy from one flash drive to another?: How do I copy the folders from one flash drive to another and preserve the folder modification dates and security permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-copy-from-one-flash-drive-to-another/fcf961df-ce99-4ea8-b13a-45179f677093