Windows 10: Copying Files to External HDD - Maxes Out for Unknown Reason

Discus and support Copying Files to External HDD - Maxes Out for Unknown Reason in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, A customer of mine has recently purchased a new PC. I am in the process of copying her folders on her old PC to an external hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zach, Oct 17, 2016.

1. zach Win User

Copying Files to External HDD - Maxes Out for Unknown Reason

Hello all,

A customer of mine has recently purchased a new PC. I am in the process of copying her folders on her old PC to an external hard drive (500GB in size) so that they can be transferred to her new one.

The old PC is running Windows 10 and is currently using ~400GB of their 1TB hard drive. The new PC is running Windows 7 and has two 1TB hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

I attempted to copy over everything via the GUI (select, copy/paste) and that was going to take too long. A colleague discovered robocopy, so we used that. We used robocopy c:\{path} e:\{path} /S /COPYALL /r:0 /w:0. It worked for one portion of data which was around 20GB in size. We used the same command for another chunk of data that was around 80GB. However, we took a look at it later only to realize that it couldn't complete due to the external hard drive being maxed out. We had cleared everything our prior to starting this new process. I asked the customer if they had any backup process running to which they replied they did not. The thought was that it may be running a backup to our disk. Does anyone have any ideas on what may be happening and if so, what is a possible solution?

TL;DR: I'm trying to copy over ~80-100GB to an empty 500GB external hard drive. When copying it over, it maxes out the hard drive space for some unknown reason.

:)

2. Zaphod83 Win User

New to Windows 10 and struggling.

Hm, what's the file system on the HDD?

If you have another external HDD, format that one with exFAT and copy your files over, then plug the exFAT one into the Windows computer.

Or copy the files to your Mac, format the HDD with exFAT, copy your files back.

exFAT is a good way to use an external HDD on both Windows and Mac.

Zaphod83, Oct 17, 2016
  3. VERY POOR COPY SPEED AND SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

already done that.....but if the problem is with drive then while playing games i am not facing the problem and when copying file from external hdd to internal hdd i am not facing any problem but while copying from internal hdd to external hdd i am facing
    the problem

amanvashsith, Oct 17, 2016
  4. zach Win User

Don't worry ya'll I got it figured out...

zach, Jan 4, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Well.... ?

For the benefit of others, do tell us what the problem was (and the fix).

I'm guessing you used Robocopy's 'exclude junction points' option the second time round.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Copying Files to External HDD - Maxes Out for Unknown Reason - Similar Threads - Copying Files External

2. CPU Maxing out for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU Maxing out for no reason: My cpu is mostly always maxing out for no reason. When ever I close a high usage program, another program began to use up cpu usage and this happens to every program I close. It's as if my cpu is trying to find any way to max out to 100%. It slows down my pc a lot and I got...
  3. CPU Maxing out for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU Maxing out for no reason: My cpu is mostly always maxing out for no reason. When ever I close a high usage program, another program began to use up cpu usage and this happens to every program I close. It's as if my cpu is trying to find any way to max out to 100%. It slows down my pc a lot and I got...
  4. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  5. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  6. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  8. Unknown device / external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unknown device / external HDD: For each USB HDD I plug I get an added unknown device showing under Volume/volume manager. Seagates and Western Digitals. Properties show drivers not installed. Code 28. Auto search driver yields error. found drivers for your device but encountered an error while...
  9. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  10. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...