Windows 10: Copying Files

Discus and support Copying Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There is something I observed while bulk copying : The copy speed while backing up 100s of GB of data from one Hard Drive to back-up drive. I wonder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SB1962, Dec 15, 2018.

1. SB1962 Win User

Copying Files

There is something I observed while bulk copying : The copy speed while backing up 100s of GB of data from one Hard Drive to back-up drive.

I wonder it is a problem of windows or a problem in my system?

When I, say copying a smaller amount of data (for example 30-40 GB chunk) - the speed of copying shown is X MB/S, but when I select the whole thing (which is of the order of few hundred GB), the speed drastically falls, almost to half this speed. I am using conventional ^c and ^v approach.

Is it some sort of document map it is retaining in RAM, so that the left out portion of RAM for use is reduced ? That would be completely unnecessary.

Though it is copy all (there are many sub folders too), but since the main destination and source folder have different name, I didn't copy the whole folder, but rather selected all the elements in the folder and then use copy paste. (In DOS it would be something like copy D:\X1\*.*/s G:\x1_bak\, but here we don't have the copy-all command, so these have to be selected)

Has any one else observed/ noticed it ?

:)

SB1962, Dec 15, 2018
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 15, 2018
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Dec 15, 2018
  4. Copying Files

Delicieuxz, Dec 15, 2018
Thema:

Copying Files

1. Copying Files - Similar Threads - Copying Files

2. Copy Contents of Multiple Text Files to Clipboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Contents of Multiple Text Files to Clipboard: Does anyone know how to modify the tutorial "Copy Contents to Clipboard" through some sort of command or bat file to copy the contents of multiple text files at once to the clipboard, each file separated by lines/space or something? Add Copy Contents to Clipboard to Context...
  3. quickassist copy files problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    quickassist copy files problem: Hello, I have sometimes a problem after establish a quickassist full control connection. I want to give assist and have to copy some files to remote computer. The user on remote computer has admin rights. On some computers I can copy files to remote computer but on other...
  4. Copy and pasting files and folders is way slower!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy and pasting files and folders is way slower!!!: Recently I've disabled some of the preinstalled windows features such uninstalling Cortana and disabling windows media player! and I guess that it may be responsible for slowing down some of the features... I know that my device is capable of copying and pasting things at a...
  5. copy file to onedrive mapped as a network drive

copy file to onedrive mapped as a network drive: Hi I have my onedrive mapped as network drive, with some of the folders as local copy. When I try to copy a file from my desktop to a onedrive folder that does not have a local copy, the copy is initiated and ends in saying 0-bytes to copy. Despite of that the copy fails, the...
  6. Stuck while copying/deleting files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck while copying/deleting files: Hey, I recently got Windows 10 and I have a problem : When I try to copy or delete files, the operation will sometimes stops with "0,00 elements/s" and then I can't cancel the operation, I can pause it but it doesn't do anything. As additional information that might be...
  7. Filezilla concurrent copying on same Host - Forget File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filezilla concurrent copying on same Host - Forget File Explorer: Hi folks Just to remind people that if you like Filezilla (a load faster than file explorer by a mega factor) it will also much more securely copy files to HDD's / SDD's / directories on the SAME Host as well and it does concurrent transfers not just one at a time. On the...
  8. Copying files stop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copying files stop: When trying to copy my laptop files to a USB hard drive, intermittently it will just stop copying. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-stop/b1401cbf-1798-4548-befe-b2805bfdc9d7
  9. Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive

Duplicate File Copies in OneDrive: When I installed OneDrive, I found that I have hundreds of duplicate files ending in "- Copy.*" These occur in the original folders and also the OneDrive folders. How do I delete all of the copies? Will this continue to occur?...
  10. Unable to copy files from Thumbdrive to Windows 10

Unable to copy files from Thumbdrive to Windows 10: I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and have had MANY frustrations . The latest is I'm trying to copy files from a thumb drive to my Windows 10 doc and it won't. I have followed all the instructions which are a pain in the **** BTW- you can't just drag over . WHY Microsoft...