Windows 10: Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source.

Discus and support Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i had 50gb left of space , i download a 30gb file from my onedrive to copy to my drive that has more than enough space, but i get an error telling me i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dems314, Jul 6, 2020.

1. dems314 Win User

Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source.

i had 50gb left of space , i download a 30gb file from my onedrive to copy to my drive that has more than enough space, but i get an error telling me i need to free up 10gb of space , but it doesnt say where , im assuming its the disk that has 20gb left, the local one.

so onedrive is telling me , that everytime i download something, i need 2x disk space just so i can copy it? how do i fix this.

thank you.

:)

dems314, Jul 6, 2020
  2. HairyFool Win User

Copying takes more space than required

It also depends on the type of files you are trying to copy and the source drive format.

Files can be reported as to the byte size but 1 byte will use up an entire sector. If you have lots of small files in the source it can swallow up considerable more space in sectors than the amount needed for the files themselves. Specific filing systems
    can be more efficient then the NTFS used on most hard disks.

Many years ago I could not fit Windows NT onto a disk slightly larger than the CD it was coming from, at the times it consisted of hundreds of small files and would run out of space before copy was complete.

Compressing the destination will stop that particular problem as would zipping the files into an archive.

HairyFool, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Burubim Win User
    Can't copy files from my local Onedrive folder to external drive...

Hi there,

When trying to copy files from my local Onedrive folder to an external drive I keep getting this error:

"There is not enough free space on Local Disk. You need an additional 261 GB to copy these files"

Anyone had this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Burubim, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source.

Error while copying data to external drive from OneDrive

I get this error message when copying from my OneDrive folder to an external drive, the external drive has plenty of free space.

i'm using 176gb of 1tb of my OneDrive space.

Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source. 948ae662-721e-49f3-8c89-5234aed5d6f7?upload=true.jpg

***Original title: error message when coping to external drive***

BradfordHart, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source.

1. Copying from onedrive to external disk, requires more space from source. - Similar Threads - Copying onedrive external

2. Can't copy everything from folder OneDrive to external hard disk using xcopy in DOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't copy everything from folder OneDrive to external hard disk using xcopy in DOS: My friend brought me his laptop with BSOD. I have tried everything to repair Windows 11, nothing has worked. When I try to copy OneDrive folder and all subfolders to external hard disk using xcopy in DOS I get this error: File creation error - The file cannot be accessed by...
  3. Can't copy everything from folder OneDrive to external hard disk using xcopy in DOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't copy everything from folder OneDrive to external hard disk using xcopy in DOS: My friend brought me his laptop with BSOD. I have tried everything to repair Windows 11, nothing has worked. When I try to copy OneDrive folder and all subfolders to external hard disk using xcopy in DOS I get this error: File creation error - The file cannot be accessed by...
  4. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  5. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  6. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. "Can't read from the source file or disk" when pasting to external hard disk

"Can't read from the source file or disk" when pasting to external hard disk: I've tried formatting the hard disk or using check disk for errors on the external hard drive. They take place smoothly and encounter no glitches. The file copying + pasting encounters no errors from PC to flash drives or other drive partitions. The hard disk gives the same...
  8. more disk space

more disk space: Can I buy more disk space and will i be allowed to download apps or programs with this additional disk space? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/more-disk-space/fb4a9a17-795e-4755-8ad0-5f45200a0250
  9. Copying from onedrive to extarnal disk, requires more space from source.

Copying from onedrive to extarnal disk, requires more space from source.: i had 50gb left of space , i download a 30gb file from my onedrive to copy to my drive that has more than enough space, but i get an error telling me i need to free up 10gb of space , but it doesnt say where , im assuming its the disk that has 20gb left, the local one. so...
  10. Error while copying data to external drive from OneDrive

Error while copying data to external drive from OneDrive: I get this error message when copying from my OneDrive folder to an external drive, the external drive has plenty of free space. i'm using 176gb of 1tb of my OneDrive space. [ATTACH] ***Original title: error message when coping to external drive***...