Windows 10: Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black

Discus and support Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've done this so infrequently that I keep forgetting how to to do it. I have multiple hard drives on my computer. I want to replace a WD 2 TB Black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mike89, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Mike89 Win User

Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black

I've done this so infrequently that I keep forgetting how to to do it. I have multiple hard drives on my computer. I want to replace a WD 2 TB Black with a WD 4 TB Black, copying all content from the WD 2 TB to the new WD 4 TB Black. The Windows 10 OS is not on this drive. I just want to copy everything over to the WDD 4 TB, unhook the WD 2TB Black and have my same letter "D" WD 4 TB Black in place of the old WD 2 TB Black. As long as I've been on computers, this should be a piece of cake yet here I am asking for help like a wienie. All help appreciated, thanks.

:)

Mike89, Mar 11, 2021

2. Sata WD black 2tb not recognised Windows 10

I've just built a of and everything went smoothly apart from a new install of Windows 10 not recognising my new Sata WD black 2tb HDD.

Asus 97-A

I7 4790k

SSD 250gb Evo 850 which windows 10 boots from.

WD Black 2tb which shows up in the bios and also in the device manager and states the drivers are up to date I've changed the Sata cable and port it's plugged into. I've spent probably 10hrs searching forums and Internet sites for the answer but so far I've
    not found anything that works. If anyone has come across the same issue I'll be very grateful if you could share.

GraemeProctor, Mar 11, 2021
  3. Ghot Win User
    New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.

Yeah... that 500GB should be bootable. Everything you need is ON the C:\ partition.

Now you should be able to hook up the 4TB and make it a GPT disk, and all should be well.

Mine is the same as yours, but I removed the recovery partition and moved my page file to the E:\ partition.

Otherwise it's the same. Everything needed to boot is on the C:\ partition, and that disk is MBR.

Right below you see MY 4TB Black as a GPT disk, and some partitions I created on it.

Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black [​IMG]

Here's looking at my drives with EaseUS Partition Master. IF I had a system partition or a recovery partition, it would show on here.
    You can also see that my 500GB Disk 0 is MBR, and that my 4TB Disk 1 is GPT.
    The 2TB that I also have is another WD Black drive. *Smile

On a normal Windows 10 install... the teeny partition before the C:\ partition is the System partition, and the one after the C:\ partition is the recovery partition.

But if you look in yours and my Disk management pics, you can see that System is now on the C;\ partition. *Biggrin

/edit

This is what a normal Windows 10 install looks like. System | C:\ drive | Recovery partition

But Windows 10 works just fine with the 1st partition (System), moved over to the C:\ partition.

If you look at your Disk Management pic, and mine for that matter, you'll it says System in the parenthesis on the C:\ partition. On the pic of the normal Windows 10 install, it does NOT say System in the parenthesis.

Either way will work though.

4. KCR
    KCR Win User

New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.

Hello Ghot, sorry to butt in, but. . . . *Redface

Under your "My Computer" hard drives, it shows. . .

Hard Drives: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, WD 44TB Caviar Black FZBX - SATA III,

WD 2TB Caviar Black FZEX - SATA III, LG GH22LS30 CD/DVD Burner

Is that 44TB a typo, or. . . ?

Thanks.

Thema:

1. Copying from WD 2TB Black to WD 4TB Black - Similar Threads - Copying 2TB Black

2. New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New WD Black 4TB HDD issues.: Hello, I just finished upgrading my computer. I have a 4TB WD Black Hard drive and a WD SN750 SSD installed, first time using two drives, and first time using a SSD. I installed new copy of Windows 10 on the SSD, and it shows as C: drive, and I intended to use the 4TB Hard...
  3. file history will not backup to a WD black 5 TB drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file history will not backup to a WD black 5 TB drive: I am trying to backup a drive i use for photos. drive A. I want to back it up to a larger WD black 5 TB hard drive plugged in through a USB on top of my tower. I can see the drive in my files and I can copy files to the drive. File history isn't recognizing my drive or if it...
  4. Problem with WD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with WD: I ran a virus test file today on my wife's laptop. The threat already removed but after the scan WD keep detecting the threat, even though thread already removed. [img] As you can see in the screenshot, scan result "no threat found", but it's still there in "Current...
  5. WD Black 4TB no longer working

WD Black 4TB no longer working: Hi , If this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know. Yesterday morning when I tried to start my PC, it was hanging on the Dell logo screen. I plugged it out and tried again with the same thing, no start up. I noticed there was a strange...
  6. WD Black 4TB no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    WD Black 4TB no longer working: Hi , If this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know. Yesterday morning when I tried to start my PC, it was hanging on the Dell logo screen. I plugged it out and tried again with the same thing, no start up. I noticed there was a strange...
  7. WD MyPassport

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD MyPassport: The WD My Passport I recently purchased shows up on disc drives in my control panel, but will not open and/or run? Is there a step I'm missing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wd-mypassport/d212a453-f8b6-4308-ba46-434d835bb48a
  8. wd elements se 4tb is not recognized on "surface pro 6"

wd elements se 4tb is not recognized on "surface pro 6": Hi, Can't operate my new wd elements SE 4tb on my surface pro 6 running Windows10. When connecting to the notebook, I can hear clicks from inside the wd device, and no recognition from the surface pro 6. Connecting another WD passport essential 750Mb works ok. Is this a...
  9. WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting

WD Black 6TB HDD issues/troubleshooting: Also if the OP hasn't already registered that drive with WD, he should, because the WD Black drives have a full 5 year warranty. I've had WD replace a couple of them in the past.
  10. WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD Black HDD - Want to move OS to new SSD: I have a 1 TB WD Black (1003FZEX) in a Dell XPS-8700 (Not Special Edition). Only 50% of HDD is full and that's all I plan to keep it. I want to buy a new SSD and put my OS on it for faster starts, etc. I back up every day (Full / Verify) using Macrium (Paid). What...