Windows 10: Copying large directory does not function correctly

Discus and support Copying large directory does not function correctly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings people of Reddit, I was moving a rather large directory (389 gigs) in the latest version of Windows 10 from an internal hard drive to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/5lm4r4d0r, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Copying large directory does not function correctly

Greetings people of Reddit, I was moving a rather large directory (389 gigs) in the latest version of Windows 10 from an internal hard drive to another internal hard drive. The directory had many many levels of directories and files under it. After completing my file transfer which showed no indication of loss of data I unfortunately formated the source hard drive. And when I needed to use the data I transfered I found out that almost all of the data 5 directories in from the root folder were missing. I'm fucked. There is truly nothing that can be done for it as the other hard drive is populated with data and any sort of recovery option is gone. I simply wanted to ask everyone here whether they know about this issue, has anyone faced it and what steps can I take in order to ensure that this does not happen again. This is clearly a bug in windows 10.

submitted by /u/5lm4r4d0r
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/5lm4r4d0r, Jun 15, 2020

2. Copy Directory Keeps throwing Exceptions :[

I couldn't find any good code for a recusive copy to point you to so I decided to write my own...

Code: Imports System.IO Module StaticMethods ''' <summary> ''' Recursively copies a directory and files to a new location. ''' </summary> ''' <param name="source">The folder name to copy.</param> ''' <param name="destination">The name of the folder to copy to (will be created if not exist).</param> ''' <param name="recursive">Whether or not to copy sub directories.</param> ''' <param name="overwrite">Whether or not to overwrite files.</param> ''' <param name="delete_dest_before_copy">Whether or not to delete the destination directory before copying (ensures a 1:1 copy).</param> ''' <returns>An exception or Nothing if there were no problems.</returns> Public Function CopyDirectory(ByVal source As String, ByVal destination As String, Optional ByVal recursive As Boolean = True, Optional ByVal overwrite As Boolean = True, Optional ByVal delete_dest_before_copy As Boolean = False) As Exception Try ' Delete the destination directory if the option is true. If delete_dest_before_copy Then If Directory.Exists(destination) Then Directory.Delete(destination, True) End If ' Get information about the source directory and destination directory. Dim source_info As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo(source) Dim dest_info As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo(destination) ' Make sure the directory exists. dest_info.Create() ' If set to act recursively, perform the option for all sub directories. If recursive Then For Each dir As DirectoryInfo In source_info.GetDirectories() CopyDirectory(dir.FullName, Path.Combine(dest_info.FullName, dir.Name), recursive, overwrite, False) Next End If ' Copy all files in this directory. For Each file As FileInfo In source_info.GetFiles() file.CopyTo(Path.Combine(dest_info.FullName, file.Name), overwrite) Next Catch ex As Exception Return ex ' Return the exception error. End Try Return Nothing ' No errors. End Function Sub Main() ' Testing the code. Dim result As Exception = StaticMethods.CopyDirectory("C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Chess", "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\Copy\Chess", True, True) If Not result Is Nothing Then Console.Write(result.ToString()) Console.ReadKey() End If End Sub End Module[/quote] All it requires to work is CopyDirectory(source, destination). The other arguments are optional.

Alternatively, you could do...
    Code: My.Computer.FileSystem.CopyDirectory(folder, newlocation, True)[/quote] ...that is effectively the same as...
    Code: CopyDirectory(folder, newlocation)[/quote] ...but I'm pretty sure My.Computer is a VB only thing so it's a bad habit to get into using that.

FordGT90Concept, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Copying large directory does not function correctly

Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.1

New features!
    • New button icons!
    • New Total selected directory size!
    • Made the Exit button text bigger!
    Download here

Mindweaver, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

Copying large directory does not function correctly

1. Copying large directory does not function correctly - Similar Threads - Copying large directory

2. Touchpad not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad not functioning correctly: I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion 15 laptop. The hard drive was playing up so I have installed an SSD in it's place. Rather than clone the old HDD to the new drive, I did a clean install of Windows 10 intending to migrate data and settings across later. I have also updated the...
  3. Touchpad not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad not functioning correctly: I have a 4 year old HP Pavilion 15 laptop. The hard drive was playing up so I have installed an SSD in it's place. Rather than clone the old HDD to the new drive, I did a clean install of Windows 10 intending to migrate data and settings across later. I have also updated the...
  4. Touchpad not functioning correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copy function

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    copy function: the copy function is not working to copy a file to a flash or external drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-function/79ca9cbf-c010-4079-93ea-d38431a0e58b
  6. Taskbar not functioning correctly.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar not functioning correctly.: Hey, I have an issue where the taskbar is constantly on top of every window, I am also unable to right-click anything on it no option pop up , calendar and notifications also won't open. I have gone thru the options, nothings specifically locked... Please help....
  7. file explorer does not function correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer does not function correctly: the file explorer folders on my windows 10 have stopped opening when I click on the folders icon. No matter what folder I select from the folders in the folders icon, the computer just accumulates small windows along the top edge of the task bar. But none open up on the...
  8. directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    directory listing file does not show Greek names correctly: In command prompt: List of directory eg dir *.* lists directory file names. The greek file names are listed in Greek correctly. BUT when send dir listing to file eg dir *.* >c:\tmp\dirlst.txt and then openning the c:\tmp\dirlst.txt file [B]the file names in Greek are not...
  9. copy function

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy function: I cant activate the the copy function https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-function/7ff975af-8d68-4f89-86f9-5d785d308c86"
  10. Large file copying speed. Why does it slow down?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Large file copying speed. Why does it slow down?: When I copy a file about 2TB in size from 1 disk to another the speed starts of fast say 185MBps and then drops to about 80MBps. This happens both on my desktop. On my laptop copying between two partitions slows down to a similar speed. Why does this happen? 94445