Windows 10: copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

Discus and support copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by makhan10, Mar 28, 2021.

1. makhan10 Win User

copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive

should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time????????

thnx in advance

:)

makhan10, Mar 28, 2021
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Mar 28, 2021
  3. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 28, 2021
  4. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

Disk / file copy issue

Hi Bob,

It seems that the large folder that you moved to the external hard drive has appeared to be the main video folder. To isolate this case, we suggest that you create a new folder on the external hard drive first before copying/moving any files/folders.

By the way, we would like to ask the following information to help us sort out and address the issue:

• What's the make and model of your hard drive?
    • Have you tried safely removing and reconnecting your hard drive from your PC?

In the meantime, please create a new folder on the external hard drive first, then try copying/moving a file/folder and see if it saves on the folder you specified.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

1. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive - Similar Threads - copying large folders

2. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  3. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.: I have a very slow Dell laptop. It uses a 900 GB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 disc hard drive which I have read can be slow. I have it almost two thirds full and most of that data are in three stangely named folders with many files either 221,184 KB or 1 KB in size. These folders are a...
  4. Unusually large folders on disk hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  6. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  7. "insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

"insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive: I purchased a WD Elements external hard drive with a view to backing up the contents of my Win 10 laptop, particularly the pictures folder. The drive comes ready to use out of the box and File Explorer reports it's formatted as NTFS and has a 4.54 TB capacity. When I tried...
  8. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...
  9. Find large *folders* on hard disks

in Windows 10 Support
    Find large *folders* on hard disks: My hard disk is full. I need to empty some space. I'm trying to locate the large folders I can empty. However there seems no good way to locate these folders in windows. Trying to search via Win Explorer Search option: "size:gigantic kind:=folder", simply doesn't work. It...
  10. Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB: I'm switching from an old desktop running XP to a new laptop running Windows 10. I've copied folders, including some programs, to an external hard drive and/or a USB. Windows Explorer in XP allowed me to just highlight files or folders I want to copy, then right click to...