Windows 10: Copying large volumes of data

Discus and support Copying large volumes of data in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello -I am trying to copy a large volume of data from one hard drive to different one 500GB, over 100K files. It will do about 10%, then it just gets... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pmw0813, Jul 14, 2021.

1. pmw0813 Win User

Copying large volumes of data

Hello -I am trying to copy a large volume of data from one hard drive to different one 500GB, over 100K files. It will do about 10%, then it just gets bogged down and essentially dies. Is there a way to make this work? I am more concerned with reliability than time. Both drive are DASD drives.Thanks

:)

pmw0813, Jul 14, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

Hi, you might try this:
    Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting - Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Troubleshooting

or the free cautious repair tool
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro
    - observing the steps and using only the relevant repairs

More:
    How to Fix VSS Errors Step-by-Step

Otherwise I suggest- assuming your disk and file system are sound-
    an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all progs, data and most settings

You need an iso of the same base language and build- freely downloadable.

dalchina, Jul 14, 2021
  3. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Jul 14, 2021
  4. Gil deG Win User

Volume shadow copy settings

Hi,

Volume Shadow Copy Service or VSS usually needs the data to be backed up while the applications that produce the data are still running. This means that some of the data files might be open or they might be in an inconsistent state. If the data set is large,
    it can be difficult to back up all of it at one time.

If you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to post back here.

Gil deG, Jul 14, 2021
Thema:

1. Copying large volumes of data - Similar Threads - Copying large volumes

2. copy and paste fails to start for large data transfer FROM memory stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copy and paste fails to start for large data transfer FROM memory stick: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive kingston 32G FAT32 to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say...
  3. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  4. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  5. Data folders unreasonably large

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data folders unreasonably large: So my C: storage was filling up, and I wanted to find the reason. I found my user folder to be around 10GB large. However, I checked every single subfolder within the said folder, and the numbers don't add up. In fact, none of the subfolders even got to a gigabyte-level data...
  6. Data folders unreasonably large

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data folders unreasonably large: So my C: storage was filling up, and I wanted to find the reason. I found my user folder to be around 10GB large. However, I checked every single subfolder within the said folder, and the numbers don't add up. In fact, none of the subfolders even got to a gigabyte-level data...
  7. Data folders unreasonably large

8. Data copy to hdd and the data not visible

Data copy to hdd and the data not visible: Hello I have one problem. I have windows 10 2 same computer. WIn 10 Prof. All update setup. When i copy a file to hdd on the first computer, and i take the hdd to another PC, my copyed file not visible on the hdd. When i take a data recovery software to the hdd, the data...
  9. Transferring a large amount of data

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring a large amount of data: I need to transfer 200GB of data from an HDD to an SSD. I am using Windows 10 Professional. Can anyone advise me of the best and speediest way to do this please. Many thanks. 138112
  10. Copying large MP4 files

Copying large MP4 files: I have a flash drive created by a company that transfers old 8mm movies and old VHS tapes to digital format. The files are formatted in MP4 and the total volume the 30 separate files on this drive is approximately 105Gb. Most of the files are less than 4Gb but some are...