Windows 10: Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup

Discus and support Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I am trying to back my music library from my PC Win 10 and some times I am successful but other times I can copy the same files on to a bare USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GlennAshley2, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup

Hi. I am trying to back my music library from my PC Win 10 and some times I am successful but other times I can copy the same files on to a bare USB drive and they only copy 50% or 60% then it freezes and tells me that there is a problem. I started with 485 songs but I have tried to do it in smaller batches to no avail

Also, on the same note, when this happens I try to delete the partial document but it won't let me. I cannot delete individual files either. Please - What am I doing wrong? It is no fault of the USB drive, I have several and this happens all the time

:)

GlennAshley2, Aug 3, 2020

2. Copying music files to a thumb drive

Hi Dennypic747,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Please answer these questions to get clarity on this issue:

1. What is the exact name of the app that you are using?
    2. Is that a Microsoft Store app or a Desktop app?
    3. How did you download the music files and where have you saved those files?

Please follow these steps to copy the music files from the computer to the USB flash drive:

Step 1: Insert the USB drive into the USB port on your computer. Try to use a port directly on your computer. Windows will usually notify you that a USB drive was inserted, and an AutoPlay window may appear. You can close
    the AutoPlay window for now.

Step 2: Open File Explorer by pressing Windows key + E together.

Step 3: Click This PC and Find your USB drive. Your USB drive will be displayed in the "Devices and drives" section of the window.

Step 4: Note the drive letter for the USB drive. Knowing the drive letter will make it easier to send files to the drive later.

Step 5: Find the music files that you want to copy to the USB drive. Your music files may be located in a variety of locations on your computer:

Step 6: Select all of the files and folders that you want to copy. You can also press Ctrl+A to select everything in the current folder.

You may find it easier to move all of your music files into one spot on your computer, organized into folders. You can then copy all of the folders and files at once.

Step 7: Wait for the files to copy. Your selected files will begin copying to your USB drive.

Step 8: Once the copy is done, click the "Safely Remove Hardware" button in your System Tray. This will unmount the drive from your system, allowing you to safely remove it without corrupting any data.

Pull the USB drive out of the computer. Your music is now safely stored on your USB drive.

Let us know the result of the steps performed so that we can help you further.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 3, 2020
  3. Copying music files to a thumb drive

Thank you for responding, it was a clear answer that is helping solve my desire to move music files to a thumb drive.

The music I want to move, was downloaded from Google music play. I now believe that their music is on my MS Surface book 2., but the files are not view able by the subscriber, me.

I presume it is necessary to use music from a streaming source, that is music that has been paid for, and is in a file format that can be copied or moved. If you can confirm this for me I would appreciate it a great deal!

Thank you for the help.

Dennypic747 &

Dennypic707, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup

Copying files from groove music

Hi Jason,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

You cannot transfer the songs directly onto a USB drive from Groove music. You should know the location of the drive where Groove stores the music you add to the playlist and then move the songs onto a USB drive

Try the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Plug in the USB drive and check if the device is connected and detected on the PC.
    • Locate the drive where Groove music folder is located. Usually the location will be the
      My Music folder in the user file under
      C:
      drive. If you have changed the location, I suggest you to locate the Groove music folder.
    • Select all the songs by pressing Ctrl + A keys on the keyboard. To copy selected music onto the drive,
      press/hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard and select the song by clicking on the file.
    • Right click after selecting the files and hover the mouse over to
      Send to option.
    • Select the USB drive to which you want to transfer the files to and wait until the transfer is completed.
    • Check if the files are copied onto the USB drive.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup

1. Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup - Similar Threads - Copying music photo

2. cannot copy music to usb, playable files apparently 'corrupt'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot copy music to usb, playable files apparently 'corrupt': Hi, I'm having issues copying certain music files to USB, these are playable files, which always have this issue when trying to copy to USB but not other areas on the local machine, any copy of the file will also no transfer to USB.There doesn't appear to be anything wrong...
  3. cannot copy music to usb, playable files apparently 'corrupt'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot copy music to usb, playable files apparently 'corrupt': Hi, I'm having issues copying certain music files to USB, these are playable files, which always have this issue when trying to copy to USB but not other areas on the local machine, any copy of the file will also no transfer to USB.There doesn't appear to be anything wrong...
  4. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  5. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Copying Backup data files to an external drive.: Hi, I am Hemant, I make Astm A320 L7 BoltsI have several external drives attached to my Desktop machine. One has Genealogy files, one is for Backups, another is for archiving Photography.When I work on the Genealogical files I like to bring an entire family folder onto the...
  6. Copying Backup data files to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. copying music files to e: drive for phone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying music files to e: drive for phone: I have hundreds of cd's copied to an old computer. I have some on this new one. When I use the sychronization feature on Windows Media Player, to copy from the c: drive to e: drive micro sd card for phone, the 1st song on the cd, does not copy? This happens a lot. It does the...
  8. Duplicate copy music files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate copy music files: I've recently been transferring files to hard drives and I've notice the original file path now shows a duplicate file with a copy tag. I have tried to uncheck file merge path through settings. Is it possible to remove duplicates, rather than individual deleting? Best...
  9. Copying music files to a thumb drive

Copying music files to a thumb drive: I have downloaded music from googles music site, using their google player app on my MS Surface Book 2. Now I would like to copy these music files to a thumb drive so I can play them in my car. I have no idea how to do this. If anyone can help me, would be most...
  10. Copy WinSXS file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy WinSXS file to usb drive: I have two desktops - exactly same specs - Windows 10 10240. One runs SFC Scannow showing no corruption and DISM with no errors. The other has corruption but SFC can't fix and Dism can't find source files. My thinking is if I can use the 1st pc's WinSXS files to run DISM,...