Windows 10: Copying my HDD to a SSD

Discus and support Copying my HDD to a SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am not the best with computers but I am really struggling following all these tutorials online and tips. The issue is I had made my windows boot off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Plastique_reeaboo, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Copying my HDD to a SSD

I am not the best with computers but I am really struggling following all these tutorials online and tips. The issue is I had made my windows boot off of my hdd instead of the ssd and now I’m struggling to copy it over to the ssd. (Note: I made this pc 2 years ago and just realized that booting on an ssd is faster.) I’ve downloaded multiple tools to help but they seem to not work and also went into bios and tried changing the boot drive which done nothing. Really need some help or advice ASAP. Please and thank you!

submitted by /u/Plastique_reeaboo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Plastique_reeaboo, Jul 3, 2020

2. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

Hi,

I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.
    Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading? If then please tell me the steps to follow.

Thanks and Regards,

Arjun.

Arjun Dinesh, Jul 3, 2020
  3. How to copy Windows 10 from HDD to a new SSD?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

Windows cannot be copied using the Copy or Move feature as it has to be installed on the hard disk. I suggest you to perform a Clean install of Windows on the SSD using an ISO file and then try to activate your copy of Windows. Refer the thread link
    below for steps to perform a Clean install.

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Note: For activation issues after the installation you may contact the phone activation support.

Take a backup of the data before you install Windows 10 on the SSD. If you want to free the data of HDD then you will have to format the HDD at the time of installation of Windows 10 on the SSD.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Jul 3, 2020
  4. RobM77 Win User

Copying my HDD to a SSD

Copying files from HDD to SSD - not enough space error

My PC has a 500GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB HDD for data (both NTFS). The 1TB HDD has about 750GB of files on it. I've just successfully upgraded to a 1TB SSD (quick formatted as NTFS and showing in Win Explorer as having 1TB free) and I want to copy all
    the files from the 1TB HDD to the 1TB SSD. I've tried a straight copy/paste in Win Explorer, but it refuses, saying there's not enough space on the destination drive. This confuses me, as it's only at three quarters capacity. How do I copy the files?

RobM77, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

Copying my HDD to a SSD

1. Copying my HDD to a SSD - Similar Threads - Copying HDD SSD

2. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  3. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  4. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My SSD is recognized as HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is recognized as HDD: i have a problem where task manager reads SSD as HDD but previously task manager reads my SSD correctly. but I don't know what I did last time. can anyone help me?Screenshot taken from — 07/01/2021:Screenshot taken from — 08/13/2021:...
  6. My SSD is detected as a HDD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My SSD is detected as a HDD.: So I'm trying to set up Linux to dual boot, and I go to defragment my drive. It's detected as a HDD instead of an SSD. I've tried switching to that drive in Command Prompt and running both winsat commands. However, it still shows as a HDD. Any fix for this?...
  7. Upgrading to SSD - Want to Copy Existing HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to SSD - Want to Copy Existing HDD: I'm looking to upgrade a computer from a HDD to a SSD. I was going to use Minitool Partition WIzard, but apparently it's not free, and that's what I'm of course looking for. Are there any free tools out there to copy an existing hard drive to a new one? The computer in...
  8. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.: Hi, I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading?...
  9. Copying HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copying HDD to SSD: Is there an easy way to do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-hdd-to-ssd/740b1582-9387-463e-abeb-a4323fc65270
  10. Replacing my HDD with SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing my HDD with SSD?: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. Last year I upgraded to i7-6700 and 16GB of RAM (Crucial.) Now I would like to add a SSD and 2 TB data HDD. I currently have a 1TB Hard Drive that my PC came with in June of 2016. So my question is, how do I upgrade the HDD and...