Windows 10: copying onedrive local files only

Discus and support copying onedrive local files only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I want to copy files from a Onedrive folder to another volume, but only the files that are saved locally in my computers and not the ones in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Marsze, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Marsze Win User

copying onedrive local files only

Hi,

I want to copy files from a Onedrive folder to another volume, but only the files that are saved locally in my computers and not the ones in the cloud.

I hoped copy or xcopy would have such an option, but one I try to copy *.* to another folder it starts downloading the files, which I'm not interested to do.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

:)

Marsze, Feb 8, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 8, 2021
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Feb 8, 2021
  4. copying onedrive local files only

Keep local copy of files, but stop syncing folder with OneDrive

When I try to unlink a particular folder from OneDrive, it warns me that it will delete all local copies. This is the opposite behavior that I want. I actually want the local copy and do not want that folder stored on OneDrive.

Use Case: The 244 GB .tar file that I am temporarily downloading to my PC so I can process it before being uploaded to my webserver (and all the temporary files I create while processing it) do not need to be on OneDrive. You realize after
    saving it to your Documents folder that It is taking too much space in OneDrive so you want to keep the file locally and not in OneDrive.

Expected behavior: Telling OneDrive not to sync a folder would result in the local copy staying and the OneDrive copy being deleted. If this is not automatic, there should be a prompt on which copy to keep, the local copy or the OneDrive
    copy.

Actual behavior: OneDrive deletes the local copy, the copy you actually need to be able to use. You would have to re-download the 244 GB file again from OneDrive or the source if you want to use it locally.

Requested behavior: There needs to be an option where you can keep the local copy and delete the OneDrive copy.

P.S. Yes, I mean a 244 GB compressed file, not 244 MB. I'm dealing with big data here.

Scott M. Stolz, Feb 8, 2021
Thema:

copying onedrive local files only

1. copying onedrive local files only - Similar Threads - copying onedrive local

2. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  3. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  4. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  5. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  6. Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive: I don't want to access my files on any other device. For now, I want all my files stored locally on my PC. I've disabled backup to OneDrive and now all I have in my local Documents folder is a shortcut called "Where are my files" which links to OneDrive.All I want to do is...
  7. Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive

Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive: I don't want to access my files on any other device. For now, I want all my files stored locally on my PC. I've disabled backup to OneDrive and now all I have in my local Documents folder is a shortcut called "Where are my files" which links to OneDrive.All I want to do is...
  8. Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies

in Cortana
    Windows Search only finds OneDrive for Business files in cloud, not local copies: On one particular Windows 10 Enterprise 2019H2 18363 system, on which I recently had to replace a second hard drive F: on which my entire OneDrive for Business is sync'd locally option to "Save space and download files as you use them" is UN-checked, now Windows search...
  9. Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy): Hi, I would like to copy large amount of Onedrive online only files to \\somenetwork\share. However, simple drag-drop copying in File Explorer is very unreliable, since it first downloads the file, make a local-copy ("downloads on demand") and only then the file is copied to...
  10. Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies: I’m either using this all wrong or cant figure it out. Is there no way to get OneDrive to never store a local copy and basically only show cloud stored server side data in my OneDrive folder in file explorer’s nav pane? The only way I get it to work now is to clear up space...