Windows 10: Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy)

Discus and support Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to copy large amount of Onedrive online only files to \\somenetwork\share. However, simple drag-drop copying in File Explorer is very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Severin Pošta, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy)

Hi,

I would like to copy large amount of Onedrive online only files to \\somenetwork\share. However, simple drag-drop copying in File Explorer is very unreliable, since it first downloads the file, make a local-copy ("downloads on demand") and only then the file is copied to \share. Naturally, free space of local drive decreases rapidly (and when one wants to restore free space, one must make the files "online only" after copying, only then the local copies are deleted).

Is there some way to copy Onedrive online only files to \share without making a local copy? I. e. without touching local hard drive?

:)

Severin Pošta, Dec 16, 2018
  2. woodson2 Win User

Can't copy/move to network shares from VISTA

Can't copy/move to network shares
    Hello, I have a Vista laptop that can no longer copy or move files to any XP/VISTA or Samba network shares. This was working at one time, but has since stopped. I receive the following error when trying to copy a file from my local drive. There is a problem accessing (path to local file) Please check your network connection etc..etc.. I have turned off the firewall and windows defender, network discovery in on and file sharing enabled(with password auth disabled). the workgroup is set correctly. I tried moving the files I want to copy to the Vista "public" folder and this makes no difference.. the files are very small 20-30kb so size isn't the issue.I've tried disabling UAC to no avail..I also removed Norton Suite from the machine....Like I said this just stopped working...(maybe after a windows update)?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

I'm running Vista home premium SP1 32-bit

What I can do.
    1.Create a new file/folder on the same network shares in question.
    2.Copy/move a file from the XP/Samba network share to my Vista machine.
    3. If I create a new text file on the desktop I'm able to copy as expected...strange but true..I looked at the permissions on the newly created file and they are the same as all the other files I'm trying to copy.

woodson2, Dec 16, 2018
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 16, 2018
  4. Wozzer Win User

Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy)

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Dec 16, 2018
Thema:

Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy)

1. Copying Onedrive online only files to network share (without making a local copy) - Similar Threads - Copying Onedrive online

2. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  3. Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy Onedrive files to local hard drive: I was updating my windows 11 software when I ran into an error that bricked my system. I had to restore everything. I now want to copy all my files in onedrive to my PC hard drive. I like having a local copy as well as one in the cloud. Thank you...
  4. Using Shadow copy on a network shared file

Using Shadow copy on a network shared file: If I revert a file back to the previous version using the shadow copy feature. will it change the access permissions of that folder back to what they were?Or will it keep the current permissions they are set to?It is a network-shared folder within a domain. I need to revert...
  5. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  6. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  7. copying onedrive local files only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying onedrive local files only: Hi, I want to copy files from a Onedrive folder to another volume, but only the files that are saved locally in my computers and not the ones in the cloud. I hoped copy or xcopy would have such an option, but one I try to copy *.* to another folder it starts downloading...
  8. Files Deleted when copied to Network Share

Files Deleted when copied to Network Share: Hello I have two NAS drives A & B. When I copy a large file (+500MB ish) from my Windows 10 laptop to a share on NAS A everything is fine. When I copy the same file from the same Laptop to a share on NAS B the files is deleted. Both NAS drives run the same OS (Linux) and are...
  9. Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies

Using OneDrive as cloud storage only - no local copies: I’m either using this all wrong or cant figure it out. Is there no way to get OneDrive to never store a local copy and basically only show cloud stored server side data in my OneDrive folder in file explorer’s nav pane? The only way I get it to work now is to clear up space...
  10. Onedrive making many copies

in Windows 10 Customization
    Onedrive making many copies: Why has the Onedrive forum been lacked??? Posting this here (picked the generic Category of 'Windows' and hoping someone will answer. A while ago my Onedrive that is on my computer (i.e. can access from File explorer) started making many many multiple copies of the whole...