Windows 10: Copying only newer files Win10

Discus and support Copying only newer files Win10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This seems like a simple task, and there used to be a way to do it using a Copy command, but Win10 doesn't seem to support this: Is there any way in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by michaelhallz, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Copying only newer files Win10

This seems like a simple task, and there used to be a way to do it using a Copy command, but Win10 doesn't seem to support this:

Is there any way in Win10 to copy/paste only new or updated contents from a folder B into a reference folder A?

I have 2 folders, A and B, that started with the same identical contents. Sometimes, additional files are added to B. Sometimes files already in B are updated, and saved, keeping the same name. From time to time, A is updated with the new / updated files from B. Comparing file dates, new files or updated versions can be found, and those files can then be added to or copied over same-name existing files in A.

When there are hundreds of files, manually finding the updated or new files and copying them to folder A can be time-consuming. Using another approach, copying all folder B contents into folder A can take quite a bit of time and tie up network resources copying files that mostly don't need updating.

What Win10 capability exists to copy and paste only files not in the destination folder?

:)

michaelhallz, Mar 28, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Mar 28, 2019
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Mar 28, 2019
  4. Copying only newer files Win10

copy newer file over older file

How do I copy a newer version of a file over an older version
    of same file? It used to copy and replace automatically in Windows prior to Windows 10. Now I have to
    delete the older file first, then copy the newer file to folder. Is there a fix or setting for this huge problem. (At first I didn't notice what was going on. I was updating my website files, but noticed that no changes were taking place when
    refreshing the browser to see the results of my editing the HTML files. Then I noticed when I copied a file from 1 folder window to the main folder window of my website files, the newer file was not being copied over the older file. Why? Basically the newer
    file was NOT being copied at all —unless I deleted the older version first. WHY ??

BernardWotton, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

Copying only newer files Win10

1. Copying only newer files Win10 - Similar Threads - Copying newer files

2. Robocopy - copy changed files only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy - copy changed files only: Hi, I have restored not recovered a PC from a Windows 7 backup taken 28th June. I have a Robocopy of the PC taken 30th June. I would like to now copy to the PC any files which changed after I took the Windows 7 backup on the 28th. I specifically do not want to copy any files...
  3. Robocopy - copy changed files only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy - copy changed files only: Hi, I have restored not recovered a PC from a Windows 7 backup taken 28th June. I have a Robocopy of the PC taken 30th June. I would like to now copy to the PC any files which changed after I took the Windows 7 backup on the 28th. I specifically do not want to copy any files...
  4. Robocopy - copy changed files only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. robocopy only copies a couple of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    robocopy only copies a couple of files: Initially I'd like to simply copy updated or missing files from the source to the destination locally...make a backup basically. I created an empty directory "testfolder" on the destination. I've tried NTFS and FAT32 destination drives initially I thought FAT32 was the issue....
  6. robocopy only copies a couple of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    robocopy only copies a couple of files: Initially I'd like to simply copy updated or missing files from the source to the destination locally...make a backup basically. I created an empty directory "testfolder" on the destination. I've tried NTFS and FAT32 destination drives initially I thought FAT32 was the issue....
  7. Robocopy not copying newer file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Robocopy not copying newer file: I have a file in a OneDrive folder named bernie3_journal.txt. It has today's date which is 10/7. I'm trying to use robocopy to copy the file to my son's OneDrive folder as shown below. The bernie3_journal.txt file in my son's OneDrive folder has a date stamp of 8/5. I've...
  8. File history deleting only copies

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File history deleting only copies: Hello! I'm using file history to back up my files, I have it set to back up every hour and keep for 3 months, but I was looking though the files and it turns out it deleted the only copies of files that haven’t been edited because it was older then 3 months, so now a bunch...
  9. Win10 copying

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 copying: when I went to bed, the copy was 0%. When I got up, it was not there. The browser windows were also not there. I tried to look thru "computer management" > task viewer, but could not see anything related to copying. I am running Win10 ver 1909. - - - Updated - - - The copy...
  10. How to copy only new files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy only new files: I have two large folders and I need to copy only modified and new files from source to target folder, is there a way to do that with explorer in windows 10 ? or with a free tool ? 150621

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 copy newer files

2. copy only newer files windows 10

3. WINDOWS EDGE REPLACE ONLY NEWER FILES WHEN COPYING

4. windows 10 copy if newer,
  5. copy newer files only windows 10,
  6. newer files in windows copying