Windows 10: Copying the system partition without cloning as such?

Discus and support Copying the system partition without cloning as such? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I need to replace the SSD with the Windows partition on it because it is dying. The problem is that when I try to make a copy of the system, the image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ricecrispies, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Copying the system partition without cloning as such?

I need to replace the SSD with the Windows partition on it because it is dying. The problem is that when I try to make a copy of the system, the image fails an integrity check, presumably because the SSD hardware itself is a bit messed up. I've tried using both AOMEI Backupper and Macrium Reflect, but both fail. Unfortunately my previous backup of this drive was several months ago, and even though I haven't got much of my personal files on it, I have installed quite a lot of software, such as VST plugins, since then and it will be a big job to reinstall it all (not an impossible job, just one that will take a lot of time). Seeing as I can't clone the disk directly, is there a way to just copy all the files to a partition on a new SSD, and then to make that partition a bootable system partition later? I am using 20H2 and the computer in question uses MBR, not UEFI.

:)

ricecrispies, Jun 13, 2021
  2. Darkmind Win User

partition cloning help!

Well I just bought a SATA seagate 320gb 7200.10 hard drive. I had to get a power adapter, but anyway. It's in as Drive F (did disk management). Now all I want to do is clone the partition from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Copy windows and everything else over on my new hard drive, take out my old drive and then use the new drive as the primary C drive. I have norton ghost, and partition magic. I heard ghost is much better. Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? I think I know how, but I do NOT wanna take any chances here..

Darkmind, Jun 13, 2021
  3. mon74 Win User
    partition to partition copy

+1 with erocker

I too have run norton ghost from hiren's bootcd, it's pretty straight forward to use, and doesn't matter the size of the disc's, as long as the primary partition it's not bigger than the target disc.

*Toast :toast:

mon74, Jun 13, 2021
  4. erocker Win User

Copying the system partition without cloning as such?

partition to partition copy

Well. I use Norton Ghost off of Hirens Boot CD. It's "Dos" based and works easy. Just select "clone partition" set output drive, set input drive and have it do it's thing. It will take everything from one drive (os, apps, etc.) and clone them to the other. Once done, boot from the new drive and the computer won't know the difference. I now keep a spare HDD with a tweaked/updated copy of Windows on it and when I want to do a reinstall on my computer, I just hook up the backup drive and clone it all to my system o/s drive, reinstall done. *I'm not very fond of Norton either, but this is one program of thiers that is simple and works amazingly well. *Cool Copying the system partition without cloning as such? :cool:

erocker, Jun 13, 2021
Thema:

Copying the system partition without cloning as such?

1. Copying the system partition without cloning as such? - Similar Threads - Copying system partition

2. How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R: Hi,I wonder if it is possible to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R.Any help in this regard will be appreciated.My question is particularly for DVD-R not Hard Drive or USB.Thank you...
  3. How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R: Hi,I wonder if it is possible to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R.Any help in this regard will be appreciated.My question is particularly for DVD-R not Hard Drive or USB.Thank you...
  4. How to copy/backup or clone System Reserved Partition to DVD-R

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  6. Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning System Partition, Recreating EFI & Recovery partitions......: This guide is intended for educational purposes only.A fresh and clean installation is always the best thing to do, because in addition to a bug-free Windows experience, everything outside the Windows environment like the EFI partition, Recovery partition, and overall system...
  7. How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive

How to move/copy/clone 'System Reserved' partition to another drive: I installed windows on an ssd but I had another hdd installed at the same time so the 'System Reserved' partition is in the hdd. This is a problem now because I have to replace the hdd so I was wondering if there was a way to either move or copy or clone the "System Reserved'...
  8. Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning System Partitions Only Without Destroying Data On Clone Drive: I am trying to clone only System partitions from a 1TB SSD to a 4TB SSD that has 2 partitions filled with data but enough free space at its beginning to host the System partitions . 1st attempt I tried the copy System partitions only on Minitool Partition Wizard but was...
  9. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...
  10. Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive

Clone Windows partition without losing other partitions on clone drive: Long ago I acquired a 2TB SSD to replace a 2 TB HDD but with the intent for the HDD to replace the optical drive for extra space for gaming and how these became 100s of gigs lately . So back then I tried to look up a solution for just cloning the system partitions as I had...