Windows 10: Copying to external Hdd very slow

Discus and support Copying to external Hdd very slow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Lucske, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Lucske Win User

Copying to external Hdd very slow

Hi all,

I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored.
    The windows-version is 10 pro.
    Now i have an external Hdd 3Tb connected via USB3 to my pc.
    I 'd like to make a 1on1 copy of all my D-drive to the 3Gb drive.
    So i open explorer and rightclick on the D:-drive and select "Copy".
    The in click on the 3Gb drive and in the right pane i rightclick and select "Paste".

A small windows then opens and the files are counted before the copying begins...
    Then i see a transfer-rate of about 350 bytes/s !!
    The last time i tryed this, it had to copy about 370Gb of files .
    After more than 24 hours it was at 57% !

Is that a normal time for this ?
    I must say that the majority of files is quit small (around 60Kb/file)
    But it looks very slow to me...
    Am i doing something wrong ?
    Can i speed things up a bit ?

Thanks for thinking along...
    Bye,
    Luc

:)

Lucske, Mar 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 Pro Extremely slow Data Transfer and Complete PC becomes Very Slow

I have the same issue with slow file copying but I do not believe it is software related. I have two hard drives and 1 SSD. If I copy from the SSD to 1 hard drive its fast, if I copy to the other hard drive it starts fast then drops to very slow or
    stops altogether. This is consistent behavior whether copying from the SSD or external HD or a USB. One of my hard drive works fast, the other starts fast, then goes very slow. I dont therefor think this is a Windows issue but more likely a setting in
    the HDD itself - but I have no idea what. Any ideas?

Guyzie_835, Mar 25, 2016
  3. VERY POOR COPY SPEED AND SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

already done that.....but if the problem is with drive then while playing games i am not facing the problem and when copying file from external hdd to internal hdd i am not facing any problem but while copying from internal hdd to external hdd i am facing
    the problem

amanvashsith, Mar 25, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

That is very abnormal.

The data transfer speed varies depending on the USB type (2 or 3) of the target device. Still it is extremely slow.
    You can use TeraCopy and see if it makes any difference there.

5. f14tomcat Win User
    I would also check to make sure the ext drive has write caching enabled. An example is:
    Copying to external Hdd very slow [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Mar 25, 2016
  6. Lucske Win User
    Thanks for replying !

I have the writecache enabled for the destination drive.
    In fact, i set this so for all the drives.
    Since i did that there is some improvement noticable.
    But it still is very slow.
    I used Terracopy on earlier pc's and at that time it wasn't that much faster.
    Bud i could try that again...

Thanks ;-)

Luc

Lucske, Mar 25, 2016
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    There is another good alternative. This an oldie-but-goodie MS program from Win 7 days. I use it daily to synchronize folders to a backup. It is fast and reliable, and it works. Hasn't been updated in a while, but MS still has it for download. Sync Toy X64.
    Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center

f14tomcat, Mar 25, 2016
  8. Lucske Win User

Thanks,

I installed it right away...
    I'm still copying the files in the old "slow" way at this moment (and the next 2 days or so).
    But after that i will try and see what it does..
    Thanks again ;-)

Luc

Lucske, Mar 26, 2016
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    Copying at userlevel in Windows is slow and unreliable. Better to image the source drive and apply the image to the target, particularly if a lot of small files are involved. Standard free tools like Macrium and Aomei are great at this.

You can find the tools here, on a convenient bootable iso:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Fafhrd, Mar 26, 2016
  10. Lucske Win User
    A strange thing happened....
    when the normal copying procedure was at 23%, the window closed.
    I then compared both the locations and everything was copyed to the 3gb disk.
    I guess the counter wasn't counting the files and transferrate very accurate.
    so now i'm going to test the microsoft tool to keep it updated.
    Thanks for the help !

Greets,
    Luc

Lucske, Mar 26, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

USB3 should work much faster than your speeds indicate --even USB2 should be better.

Copying concurrently from TWO USB 3 drives to my NAS server (HDD's formatted with XFS, USB3 drives with NTFS) I'm getting a really decent speed.

Copying to external Hdd very slow [​IMG]

The two external HDD's are the self powered passport type one is 2TB and the other 3 TB so these would be slower than powered USB 3 external drives.

My OS is CENTOS 7 -- restoring Movies and TV series to my NAS after upgrading HDD's.

Approx 4TB of data to restore - so I'm not complaining as it's HOME type stuff - not commercial fast SCSI devices or mega sized new type server grade SSD's.

Windows reports similar data transfer rates too on those USB3 HDD's although NTFS file system is about 10% slower than XFS. My Windows machine though has faster CPU / Bus speed too - NAS server is only a Microserver so doesn't need a whole lot of "OOMPH" - especially for a Home NAS.

Ensure if you are using a USB 3 Hub that it's got sufficient power. I'm using 2 separate USB3 ports.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 26, 2016
  12. Lucske Win User
    Hi,

The 3Tb-drive is connected directly to a USB3 port from the mainboard.
    It is externaly powered by it's own poweradapter.
    The 2Tb drive is internal and connected to the mainboard using SATA.
    So i'm still not sure what is caussing this slow trasferrate...

Luc

Lucske, Mar 26, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Transfer the data in smaller parts, whiteout doing the whole data at once?

14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

that actually doesn't solve the OP's problem and it's not always so simple to copy smaller pieces of the data.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 26, 2016
  15. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Yes, it will not be a permanent solution, but at least it might do the job at present.

Please feel free to post the actual solution. *Smile

Thema:

1. Copying to external Hdd very slow - Similar Threads - Copying external Hdd

2. Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot move/copy folders from External HDD to External HDD.: [ATTACH] After starting the move/copy of the given folder, the explorer starts calculating but instead of starting the process, quickly completes (animates 0% to 100% complete) but the folder did not get moved or copied. Happens when trying to move/copy folders larger then...
  3. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD error while copying: Hi!I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC. First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC where they were originally...
  4. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD error while copying: Hi!I just bought a new external HDD, to make a second copy of everything I have in my PC. First, I tried to copy folders from a HDD to the other, but everytime it would crash 30 seconds after.I tried to copy the files from the HDD back into the PC where they were originally...
  5. External HDD error while copying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. External very slow to copy files onto it

External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  7. Copy speeds are very slow on PC.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copy speeds are very slow on PC.: I'm copying some files that are 8gb each and the speeds keep changing. They went from 1gbps to 40 Mbps. Any help on how to speed this up? submitted by /u/Depression126 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i51f3m/copy_speeds_are_very_slow_on_pc/
  8. Very slow access to USB HDD

Very slow access to USB HDD: I have a rather young 4 TB USB HDD. Some time ago I formatted it in Ext4 and used it in a Linux system. Now I will use it in Windows. I formatted it in NTFS (Quick Format) and copied 2 TB data to it. Up to here everything was ok. I connected this USB3 capable HDD to a USB2...
  9. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  10. Copying to USB Very Slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copying to USB Very Slow: A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB. Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to Extended hdd. I've tried deleting to old backup first so there will be no need to replace and files. That doesn't seem to be...