Windows 10: Copying to USB Very Slow

Discus and support Copying to USB Very Slow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB. Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JamesJoey, May 26, 2017.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Copying to USB Very Slow

A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB.

Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to Extended hdd.

I've tried deleting to old backup first so there will be no need to replace and files.
    That doesn't seem to be any faster than replacing the files.

Any way to make to copy to USB faster.
    James

:)

JamesJoey, May 26, 2017

2. Data transfer is very slow

My laptop model is DELL INSPIRON 15-5578

The write speed when i am copying to the drive is 4mbps......

Yes i have updated all the drivers........

For every USB device the speed is very very slow..............

somesh_1996, May 26, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro Extremely slow Data Transfer and Complete PC becomes Very Slow

I have the same issue with slow file copying but I do not believe it is software related. I have two hard drives and 1 SSD. If I copy from the SSD to 1 hard drive its fast, if I copy to the other hard drive it starts fast then drops to very slow or
    stops altogether. This is consistent behavior whether copying from the SSD or external HD or a USB. One of my hard drive works fast, the other starts fast, then goes very slow. I dont therefor think this is a Windows issue but more likely a setting in
    the HDD itself - but I have no idea what. Any ideas?

Guyzie_835, May 26, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Copying to USB Very Slow

@JamesJoey

James, there a lot of factors involved. Under the best of circumstances, an external drive will always beat a USB thumb drive. Most significant is the USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0. Your external HDD is most likely 3.0 capable, and I hope you are using a 3.0 port. A thumb drive, 2.0 or 3.0 cannot take advantage of the system write cache like an external can. The controllers and drivers are different. Many brands of thumb drives are simply not engineered for massive data transfer. They are geared more to saving pictures and small videos, like from a camera. Or they are used for installation media, where they are read only. Writing to a USB is very slow, and the cheaper brands are extremely slow. Unless you have formatted the USB thumb drive as NTFS, it comes as FAT32, and has a file size limitation of 4GB. That in itself doesn't really affect the speed, just what you can copy.

There really is no way to make a USB thumb (stick, FD) as fast as an external HDD spinner drive.

Hope this helps. There's a lot more to it, but basically....you can't force a USB to do any better than what it is.

TC

f14tomcat, May 26, 2017
  5. JamesJoey Win User
    The file system is ntfs.

I wasn't aware that so many factors can effect this.

I looked at the properties.

What is 'Ready Boost?'

JamesJoey, May 26, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    In your case, and in virtually all cases nowadays, Ready Boost will buy you nothing, and you probably can't use it anyway. The hardware/software out now is far superior to any advantage from Ready Boost. My opinion, avoid it. And if you are using an SSD, avoid it like the plague! Here's some info:

Is ReadyBoost still an effective tool in Windows 10? - TechRepublic

f14tomcat, May 26, 2017
  7. JamesJoey Win User
    Thanks for indulging me, it's appreciated,

James

JamesJoey, May 27, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Copying to USB Very Slow

You're welcome, James. Any time.

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Copying to USB Very Slow

1. Copying to USB Very Slow - Similar Threads - Copying USB Very

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. External very slow to copy files onto it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  5. Copy speeds are very slow on PC.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copy speeds are very slow on PC.: I'm copying some files that are 8gb each and the speeds keep changing. They went from 1gbps to 40 Mbps. Any help on how to speed this up? submitted by /u/Depression126 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i51f3m/copy_speeds_are_very_slow_on_pc/
  6. Very slow access to USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very slow access to USB HDD: I have a rather young 4 TB USB HDD. Some time ago I formatted it in Ext4 and used it in a Linux system. Now I will use it in Windows. I formatted it in NTFS (Quick Format) and copied 2 TB data to it. Up to here everything was ok. I connected this USB3 capable HDD to a USB2...
  7. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate: I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the...
  8. Sdd usb 3.1 very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sdd usb 3.1 very slow: My Asus X99-A II has a Type-C USB 3.1 port. I thought it would be helpful to make use of this port, so I bought a USB 3.1 StarTech hard drive enclosure rated for 10Gbps and installed a Samsung PM800 250GB SSD in it. I expected very fast, or at least fast speeds from this...
  9. Very slow boot, no usb

Very slow boot, no usb: I just upgraded my i7, 8GB ram laptop to Windows 10 and really need help. Booting up, shutting down, and restarting are extremely slow. This laptop previously had Windows 7 and booted up much faster. I've looked at the startup folder and it is empty. I'm ready to give up and...
  10. Copying to external Hdd very slow

Copying to external Hdd very slow: Hi all, I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored. The windows-version is 10 pro. Now i have an external Hdd 3Tb connected via USB3 to my pc. I 'd like to make a 1on1 copy of all my...