Windows 10: Copying W10 VM's - choose I MOVED It solves activation issue (VMware)

Discus and support Copying W10 VM's - choose I MOVED It solves activation issue (VMware) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Just reminding people of a tip I got from this FORUM (can't remember who it was but thanks !!) that if you want to copy a W10 VM to another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Copying W10 VM's - choose I MOVED It solves activation issue (VMware)

Hi there

Just reminding people of a tip I got from this FORUM (can't remember who it was but thanks !!) that if you want to copy a W10 VM to another device / machine and it already has been activated with a digital license then when powering on the VM in VMware (workstation or Player) choose I moved in the popup box instead of the recommended one I copied it. This will preserve the activation and avoid all sorts of hassles -- I'm always moving VM's around from SSD's to HDD's and back again as I test a few things.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 12, 2018

2. Physical-to-Virtual Windows 10 Activation Problem in VMware Player (Troubleshooting)

Windows 10 was activated when I first reinstalled it in a VMware Workstation Player 14 Virtual Machine and installed the VMware Tools for Windows, but now only a couple-few days after the installation
    it is no longer activated. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the VMware Tools and it still will not reactivate. I tried repairing the VMware Tools installation and get an error during the install.
    I have also tried the Windows 10 Activation Troubleshooter tool, but it did not solve this issue; didn't work. I have already gone to the VMware community for help with this problem, and I learned
    that I may have inadvertently and accidentally caused this problem myself by choosing that the Virtual Machine had been COPIED rather than MOVED when prompted with the question "Did you move or copy
    your virtual machine?" and that this may be what caused the problem.

Please note that this is a copy of Windows 10 that was obtained for free a year or two ago when Microsoft was allowing users of Windows 7 or 8 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, and was already previously
    activated on this same physical machine as a host operating system, but I have now decided to switch over and run Windows as a guest operating system using Linux as the host. I shouldn't need a product key to activate this copy of Windows 10, I would think,
    and shouldn't be charged any money for this mistake, but I'm not sure what to do in this situation. What are the likely causes of this problem and what might be a solution? Please help! Thank you
    for your time and attention. Copying  W10 VM's - choose I MOVED It solves activation issue (VMware) :)

FearlessOne4832, Jan 12, 2018
  3. Turn off custom scaling and sign out - problem

This might help anyone running Windows on a VM.

I had the same issues for Win10 on Parallels for Mac.

I switched off the "Best for Retina Display" and choose "Scaled" instead. That allowed me to decouple the Microsoft settings from the VM overrides. A similar setting might exist on VmWare?

NormandinF, Jan 12, 2018
Thema:

Copying W10 VM's - choose I MOVED It solves activation issue (VMware)

1. Copying W10 VM's - choose I MOVED It solves activation issue (VMware) - Similar Threads - Copying W10 VM's

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?: Hello, I have a licensed copy of windows 8.1 that I installed as a vmware virtual machine and performed a free upgrade to windows 10. Been working fine until I had a problem that requires moving to Virtualbox. The VM works fine under Virtualbox now but says I need to...
  4. SOLVED: Activation Issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SOLVED: Activation Issue: Hello, I have a Sony laptop that I purchased it with an original Windows 7 Pro years ago. It was upgraded to Windows 10. Recently I decided to reset the windows. After resetting, the windows requires activation code. I enter the activation code I had for the previously...
  5. VMware 15.1.0 copy/paste issue.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware 15.1.0 copy/paste issue.: I am running 15.1.0 on a 1903 host with guest of 1903 too. This used to work for me in 1809 I am not sure when it stopped but here is a list of things I tried to fix it. 1) repair VMware 15.1, uninstall and do the full install of 15.1 2) make sure the latest VMware tools...
  6. VM's using VMware on W10 Host with Storage Spaces randomly fail

VM's using VMware on W10 Host with Storage Spaces randomly fail: Hi folks Running some VM's on W10 Host (x-64 PRO) with VMware workstation Rel 14 I get random failures if the VM's are on storage spaces. The same VM's work perfectly when on external SSD's or internal standard (non Storage space area) HDD's. The failures are seemingly...
  7. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  8. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  9. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374
  10. Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE)

Create W10 VM of your RUNNING machine (VMWARE): Hi there An easy way of creating a W10 VM (or any other OS) of your RUNNING machine is simply to start up the VMWARE CONVERTER. You need to be in administrator mode. Configure the target machine, - unclick DATA drives if you just want to start with creating the system....