Windows 10: core isolation disabled itself in bios on new computer

Discus and support core isolation disabled itself in bios on new computer in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, thanks in advance for any clarity on this matter. Trying for TL;DR: After 4-5 days of trying to get brand new computer updated/software... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by khynnea, Sep 29, 2018.

1. khynnea Win User

core isolation disabled itself in bios on new computer

Hi, thanks in advance for any clarity on this matter.

Trying for TL;DR: After 4-5 days of trying to get brand new computer updated/software installed/kinks sorted out, vt-x for core isolation had managed to turn itself off at the BIOS when it was working fine on day 1.

More details:

Day 1: Computer came out of the box, security and privacy settings gone over with fine toothed comb. New to windows 10 as a personal user so went through all the settings carefully and familiarized myself with everything. Absolutely certain of the following:

* core isolation, security processor, secure boot, enhanced hardware security, DEP, memory isolation ALL working on day 1 (I didn't know these things existed before new computer, I googled them all and researched them when I saw them in settings, I know they were there and on)

Began the slog of updating stuff. Windows, drivers, etc. Installing essential items. Scanned new machine. Basic stuff. No data transfer yet. Sat there and wondered "do I strip Mcafee and use defender/etc now or .." Big mistake, I was tired. I let it slide and kept Mcafee. I … paid for this.

Days 2-4: Kept working, no problems except learning I didn't like Mcafee. Oh well. I had deadlines. I didn't want to deal with the removal at that moment. Figured I would do it in a couple weeks when I had more time. Stupid stupid stupid.

Day 5: Wanted to force a virus definition update. Had a question about the firewall. Chatted with Mcafee support. We found out that Mcafee was not updating at all. Yay. This could not be fixed. Even though I thought "this is it, this is my chance to go back to life as usual, using windows defender and firewall," it was late, I was tired and I just wanted things fixed so I could do a scan overnight and work the next day. Mcafee was uninstalled, their removal tool used, and a fresh install was performed. Mcafee appeared to be working ok after this. Latest definitions installed. Shut down.

Day 6: Rechecked all privacy and security settings. Why? Because of Mcafee nonsense. Prepared to do virus scan after reinstall and update of stuff. Found device security was borked. Core isolation was not showing up. Could not get it to turn on. Got error messages saying it was not supported. Google was not helpful, ran two scans, Mcafee and Trend Micro.

Day 7: Calls to OEM to try to figure out problem. First was system refresh. Didn't fix it. Then they messed with the registry. Apparently some windows 10 update turns off core isolation? They were saying that 1803 turns it off? But a friend has core isolation on and 1803 and so that wasn't making sense. I had seen that there was a related BIOS setting but I had not touched the BIOS. It hadn't been checked. They ordered me a flash drive with yet another OS to try. After getting off the phone, I went in and checked the BIOS. Sure enough, it was disabled.

So … WHY. Why did it go from enabled to disabled in the BIOS. I myself did not go in and turn it off at the BIOS. Is there something that I tacitly accepted (windows updates, graphic driver updates, oem driver updates, the mcafee nonsense) that did it? Or do I have some other cause for concern?

:)

khynnea, Sep 29, 2018

2. How to disable Core Isolation

Hi,

I am trying to install a software but i have to turn off "Core Isolation" in my surface pro before i can do so.

Please provide steps on how to do so.

SugarySalt, Sep 29, 2018
  3. Disable Core Isolation Setting?

Usually, you need to boot into the Surface UEFI firmware.

Sign out to the Sign in screen

Hold the Shift key and click Restart.

Choose Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced options.

Click Startup Settings.

Click Restart again.

Once your computer restarts, press F7 on your keyboard to select Disable driver signature enforcement. Your computer will now restart automatically.

If the issue persists after disabling the driver signature verification, disable Secure Boot temporarily in your computer's UEFI/BIOS. You can contact your computer's manufacturer or check the device manual for the steps on how to do this.

Important: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS
    settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

If you can't find the toggle to disable Secure Boot, a firmware update for the UEFI/BIOS may be required. This can usually be found in the manufacturer's website.

After disabling Secure Boot, boot normally into Windows and check if you can install the programs. If you're successful, boot back into the UEFI/BIOS and re-enable Secure Boot since this is an important security feature.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 29, 2018
  4. core isolation disabled itself in bios on new computer

Core isolation, memory integrity

As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you disable the driver signature enforcement by following these steps:

Click Start.

Click the Power button.

Hold the Shift key and click Restart.

Choose Troubleshoot.

Click Advanced options.

Click Startup Settings.

Click Restart again.

Once your computer restarts, press F7 on your keyboard to select Disable driver signature enforcement. Your computer will now restart automatically.

If the issue persists after disabling the driver signature verification, disable Secure Boot temporarily in your computer's UEFI/BIOS. You can contact your computer's manufacturer or check the device manual for the steps on how to do this.

Important: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS
    settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

If you can't find the toggle to disable Secure Boot, a firmware update for the UEFI/BIOS may be required. This can usually be found in the manufacturer's website.

After disabling Secure Boot, boot normally into Windows and check if you can install the programs. If you're successful, boot back into the UEFI/BIOS and re-enable Secure Boot since this is an important security feature.

See if you can then toggle it off.

Andre for Directly, Sep 29, 2018
Thema:

core isolation disabled itself in bios on new computer

1. core isolation disabled itself in bios on new computer - Similar Threads - core isolation disabled

2. Core isolation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Core isolation: LGJoyXICore.sysVBoxDrv.sysVirtualBoxincompatible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/core/81689e6b-f825-4f86-8a85-e7be1c30d501
  3. Core Isolation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Core Isolation: When I try to engage core isolation, it says this driver is incompatible. I was able to remove it in autoruns.exe, however, it said I needed to restart. The computer would not restart, it just hung. When I closed the computer, and started it again, I was able to use it, but...
  4. Core Isolation disabled.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Core Isolation disabled.: I have had concerns about my computer since switching to a new router Synology RT6600ax.I noticed that Windows Security was complaining about Core Isolation. It was off. I tried to turn it on, but it complained about old drivers or something, but didn't list any. There was a...
  5. core isolation

core isolation: I cannot turn this on due to incompatible drivers. Is my machine safer with it on or off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/core-isolation/8e8148d2-9a05-4154-a822-3e449fb4f916
  6. Core isolation

Core isolation: I am trying to install a software but I have to turn off "Core Isolation" in my surface book 3 before I can do so and it says that administrator permission is needed. Since I am the admin of my system who's permission is need to do so?? kindly let me know how to solve this...
  7. Core Isolation

Core Isolation: In windows security under Core Isolation: Device security shows memory integrity can't be started. There may be an incompatibility on your device. I am also receiving message that controlled folder access blocked CNQMSWCS.l and C;/WINDOWS...' all in notifications. Any...
  8. core isolation

core isolation: trying to isolate my core processes and tells me "memory integrity can't be started there may be incompatibility on your device" ran troubleshooting and it could not find any problems ,, even went into setup and turned overclocked memory back to auto and still won't turn...
  9. Core Isolation

Core Isolation: When I turn on this function and reboot as instructed, when power up, this function is off again ? Need Help Please !!![ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/core-isolation/e938a7ef-3a5f-4ca9-b5e1-1bed862f7216"
  10. How to disable Core Isolation

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable Core Isolation: Hi, I am trying to install a software but i have to turn off "Core Isolation" in my surface pro before i can do so. Please provide steps on how to do so....