Windows 10: Correct bad user name

Discus and support Correct bad user name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Somehow, the system thinks my name is ****.comcast.net. It doesn't use the name; my real user name is tcebo, and that's the name of my directory in... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tcebob, Jul 31, 2019.

1. tcebob Win User

Correct bad user name

Somehow, the system thinks my name is ****.comcast.net. It doesn't use the name; my real user name is tcebo, and that's the name of my directory in C:\users. But the sign-in page displays it. Perhaps there is something in the registry that has gone uncorrected?

:)

tcebob, Jul 31, 2019

2. How to correct misspelled name on Windows 10?

Anthony Pontecorvo1, Jul 31, 2019
  3. How to correct misspelled name on Windows 10?

Hi,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to correct a misspelled user account name on Windows 10 PC.

Before assisting further, are you editing Microsoft user account name or Local user account name?

You will not be able to edit/rename Microsoft user account name on the computer. If you are using a Local user account, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control panel from the context menu.
    • From the top right corner of the window, click on View by
      and select Large icons.
    • From the window, click on User accounts and select
      Manage another account
    • From the window, select your user account (the one to edit/rename) and click on
      Change the account user name.
    • Type correct user name in the box and click on Apply and
      OK.
    • Close the window, lock the PC (press Windows logo + L keys on the keyboard) and check if the changes are effective.

The above changes made will reflect only on the Login/lock screen. To change the name of the user folder in
    C: drive, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard to open
      File Explorer
    • Click on This PC from the left side panel of the window and open
      C:
      drive.
    • Open Users folder and select the user folder with a misspelled user name.
    • Right click on the misspelled user name and select Rename option from the context menu to rename the folder.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Correct bad user name

How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

Correct bad user name

1. Correct bad user name - Similar Threads - Correct bad user

2. Is sharing your C:/Users name bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is sharing your C:/Users name bad?: HelloSimply i would like to know if there is any problem with sharing your C:/Users name on internet.I am guessing is not that dangerous.but i would like to know if this could be a big security risk....
  3. Is sharing your C:/Users name bad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is sharing your C:/Users name bad?: HelloSimply i would like to know if there is any problem with sharing your C:/Users name on internet.I am guessing is not that dangerous.but i would like to know if this could be a big security risk....
  4. Is sharing your C:/Users name bad?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. correct user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    correct user name: i changed my user name, but microsoft keeps using the old one. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/correct-user-name/0177e2b5-d1d9-4032-87ce-848cb8a1e374
  6. Trying to correct Windows 10 user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trying to correct Windows 10 user name: Based on suggestions from here, I've tried using the Windows key + R, typing NETPLWIZ which seemed to me to correct the user name... but it didn't correct the name on the user's folder.... Right clicking on misspelled user folder name didn't offer an option to 'rename'...
  7. Correct bad user name

in Windows 10 Support
    Correct bad user name: Attachment 241743 Somehow, the system thinks my name is ****.comcast.net. It doesn't use the name; my real user name is tcebo, and that's the name of my directory in C:\users. But the sign-in page displays it. Perhaps there is something in the registry that has gone...
  8. User name in Windows 10 directory is not correct

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User name in Windows 10 directory is not correct: When installing Windows 10 on my laptop, the user directory name only contains the first five letters of my first name. Is this normal? I reset my laptop and reinstalled Windows 10 but have the same result. I was never prompted for this information....
  9. Adding User to Correct User Folder Name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Adding User to Correct User Folder Name: So when I did a system restore on my computer to return it back to factory default...I logged in using my Microsoft account which is an email starting with "Boo......." However my name on my Microsoft account is "Summer"...It's always been "Summer" all my folders in the past...
  10. User Folder Name not correct - how to change?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Folder Name not correct - how to change?: Clean install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. All went perfectly but the folder name in the Users folder is not correct. It is called "greg" and I did not choose this and I don't like it. The name of my actual account in the Control Panel - User Accounts shows correctly....