Windows 10: Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive'

Discus and support Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive' in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Whilst using windows 11 pro;I backed up a windows disk image using: Control Panel; Back up and Restore; Create a system image. I also backed up my C:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by David 11, Feb 25, 2024.

1. David 11 Win User

Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive'

Whilst using windows 11 pro;I backed up a windows disk image using: Control Panel; Back up and Restore; Create a system image. I also backed up my C: drive.I saved both of these onto external media, a 512gb Toshiba HDD USB 3.0I used bitlocker to encrypt the drive. I wrote down the bitlocker 'identifier' and the 'recovery key'I used the bitlocker recovery key to successfully unlock and open the drive and view the contents.I reinstalled windows 11 pro, and now when i try to open the Toshiba HDD;'Enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock this drive'I enter the correct 48 digit key. I get the err

:)

David 11, Feb 25, 2024

2. Bitlocker doesnt allow to key in password

hi buddy,

I have my portable drive encrypted with bitlocker. However, everytime i connect with computer it doesnt appear a window to type in password to unlock rather than a recovery key. Unfortunately, I lost my receovery key so I can not solve this problem

Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive' [​IMG]

tmonley101, Feb 25, 2024
  3. Bitlocker Key

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. It is good that you know the Bitlocker key to properly get into the computer. To help you turn off the Bitlocker key, you can follow the steps below:

Please make sure you are signed as the Administrator of the computer.

To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.

• A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption. Click
      Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

To turn off BitLocker Drive Encryption

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security
      , and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Find the drive on which you want BitLocker Drive Encryption turned off, and click
      Turn Off BitLocker.

• A message is displayed, informing you that the drive will be decrypted and that decryption may take some time. Click
      Decrypt the drive to continue and turn off BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know if this resolves your concern.

Lemuel Cie, Feb 25, 2024
  4. Tim B 79 Win User

Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive'

Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?

The gist: Lenovo support recommended a drive swap (from corporate computer with broken screen to temporary one). Initially, the BitLocker key worked and now it fails. IT told me it cannot be salvaged.

Computers: Corporate Windows Lenovo ThinkPad P15 Gen2's and we use "Intune."

Steps:

1. I'm instructed by IT & Lenovo to send my computer in for repairs seemingly unrelated to the hard drive (monitor completely black with power on). Lenovo warns "ANY" repair can destroy all data and recommends a drive swap. Confirm with 3 Lenovo representatives this is okay for relative novice.
    2. Record BitLocker key and perform the swap.
    3. Restart temp computer, input key on blue screen and everything's good but Microsoft Teams.
    4. Repeat step 3.
    5. Restart temp computer, input key on blue screen and Teams works.
    6. Restart temp computer and BitLocker no longer accepts the key.
    7. Lenovo sends back fixed computer. Install original SSD. Screen is fixed, but BitLocker no longer accepts the key.
    8. My Account shows two devices -- with the same name -- associated to me. The "Inactive" one has my recorded key. The "Active" one says, "No BitLocker recovery key found for this device."
    9. IT says BitLocker keys should rotate when doing what I did. Initially, they failed to rotate -- the reason why steps 3 - 5 "worked." Then, the rotation happened -- step 6 -- but the new BitLocker key wasn't saved anywhere. I am currently assuming they would have checked something like the Azure Active Directory.
    10. Part of me doesn't believe the BitLocker key couldn't have been saved anywhere. I know what I did isn't typical for an employee, but still there have to be a lot of drive swaps in the world -- saving BitLocker keys can't be this fragile.
    I know this is long and appreciate any assistance. Have a good year in any event.

Sincerely,

Tim

Tim B 79, Feb 25, 2024
Thema:

1. Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive' - Similar Threads - Correct Bitlocker key

2. Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correct Bitlocker key used; but receive error message 'The key doesnt match this drive': Whilst using windows 11 pro;I backed up a windows disk image using: Control Panel; Back up and Restore; Create a system image. I also backed up my C: drive.I saved both of these onto external media, a 512gb Toshiba HDD USB 3.0I used bitlocker to encrypt the drive. I wrote...
  3. My bitlocker key didn't match

My bitlocker key didn't match: I have a Lenovo pc .It's bitlocker key didn't match.What to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-bitlocker-key-didnt-match/392fb5a9-8904-464a-98e6-e94b45db85ca
  4. My bitlocker key didn't match

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My bitlocker key didn't match: I have a Lenovo pc .It's bitlocker key didn't match.What to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-bitlocker-key-didnt-match/392fb5a9-8904-464a-98e6-e94b45db85ca
  5. My bitlocker key didn't match

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Bitlocker Identifier matches recovery key, but get wrong key error message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker Identifier matches recovery key, but get wrong key error message: We had to restore an encrypted drive from Veeam and when we try to unlock it, we get the an error message that the Bitlocker password is incorrect. We tried to enter the recovery key, and that also comes back as incorrect, even though the identifier is the same in the...
  7. Bitlocker Identifier matches recovery key, but get wrong key error message

Bitlocker Identifier matches recovery key, but get wrong key error message: We had to restore an encrypted drive from Veeam and when we try to unlock it, we get the an error message that the Bitlocker password is incorrect. We tried to enter the recovery key, and that also comes back as incorrect, even though the identifier is the same in the...
  8. Bitlocker Identifier matches recovery key, but get wrong key error message

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. bitlocker recovery key not matching

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    bitlocker recovery key not matching: My recovery key is not matching with the recovery key id that i have, how can i check my linked account using my key id https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-recovery-key-not-matching/086195a6-ec57-4de1-a2e7-01cf126b1a41
  10. I'm not able to unlock my bitlocker drive with the correct key and correct recovery key?...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I'm not able to unlock my bitlocker drive with the correct key and correct recovery key?...: Dear Microsoft Community, I'm an student and some days ago my bitlocker drive is not opening, even with the correct keys and even I used bitlocker recovery key? What can I do? Cause I don't want to lose my data. Help me!...