Windows 10: Correct improper scaling of a Program on a 4k TV?

Discus and support Correct improper scaling of a Program on a 4k TV? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running my Win 10 pc on a 70" 4K Vizio and I often find that certain programs do not scale properly when running them. Meaning that the program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Winneh da Pu, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Correct improper scaling of a Program on a 4k TV?

Hi, I'm running my Win 10 pc on a 70" 4K Vizio and I often find that certain programs do not scale properly when running them. Meaning that the program window is too squished to make it usable.

Is there any trick to get these problematic programs to display on a 4K TV?

Thanks.

:)

Winneh da Pu, Apr 16, 2017
  2. TH90 Win User

4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi,

I am building a PC with windows 10. I have yet to buy my monitor.

I'm considering buying a 4k/UHD monitor but given the issues you can have with scaling (i.e. when using program's that aren't set up to cope with the scaling and therefore show up blurred) I am wondering if it is worth it at this point in the 4k/windows
    infancy? Its worth pointing out that I am thinking of buying a monitor no bigger than 24" so not using scaling won't be very good as the task bar will be tiny.

Also, (my main question) when you use the scaling its effectively at Full HD resolution, correct me if I'm wrong, so what happens when scaling is on and I want to watch a 4k video. Will it be shown in 1080p or 4k? How does it work? What is the scaling actually
    doing.

Thanks in advance.

3. TH90 Win User
    4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi Anup,

Thank you for your response.

So therefore is my previous point on certain program's displaying as blurry when scaling is used wrong? I.e. as they'll be effectively displayed similarly to full HD resolution?

Also, if I used scaling at 200% and I wanted to watch a 4K video would it be displayed at full HD (due to the scaling) or 4K resolution.

Thanks again.

4. EliteData Win User

Correct improper scaling of a Program on a 4k TV?

the best way for help on this issue is to provide two pictures.
    what the program looks like normally on a monitor and what the program looks like on your 4K TV.
    screen shots arent necessary, just a photo of each one taken right in front of each monitor device.

EliteData, Apr 17, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Depending on the model go into the HARDWARE menu (i.e use the handset) and there's normally an option somewhere buried within the loads of options on these new TV's that is something similar to "Autoscan" or "Auto re-size".

That should fix it.

Remember also with some of these 4K TV's DRM rears its ugly head and to play especially DRM'ed streaming content or output from things like SKY Q boxes you need the correct level of HDMI cable -- at least version 2.0 now.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 17, 2017
  6. On another site, a poster said this problem isn't fixable as it lies within the software and not the monitor so for now it seems I need to find alternate software that plays well with a 4k display.

Winneh da Pu, Apr 17, 2017
  7. pyramid10 Win User
    Here's a link http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-a...-displays-fix/, if the software programs are Adobe. The solution also worked, last year, with Auslogics Disk Defrag. It can be a hassle to redeploy the solution after a program update.

A Youtube video by Dan Antonielli may be available for the less-than-technically-literate.

pyramid10, Apr 17, 2017
  8. EliteData Win User

i dont have the issue your experiencing but isnt right clicking the shortcut for the program and changing the setting from there, the same fix and a bit simplified ?

Correct improper scaling of a Program on a 4k TV? [​IMG]

EliteData, Apr 17, 2017
  9. Thanks EliteD - I'll give that a try

Winneh da Pu, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Correct improper scaling of a Program on a 4k TV? - Similar Threads - Correct improper scaling

2. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  3. Is a 4K TV good as a monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is a 4K TV good as a monitor: A 4K 32" monitor would cost me over $400. I can pick up a 4K 42" LCD LED TV for $300. Any reason I should not use the TV as monitor for photoshop and premier pro video editing? I am using a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU.
  4. Windows 10 4K scaling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 4K scaling: Hai, I’m planning to buy a new monitor. Preferably one with a high resolution whereas a high DPI/PPI. Online I read that windows 10 had issues with scaling for 4K monitors. Everything looks tiny and to fix that people use the scaling feature. But then some programs look...
  5. Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.: I'm trying to hook a (new) laptop into a new 4K TV to use as an external monitor. When I plug the HDMI cord in, Windows recognizes the 2nd monitor with all the settings but no signal shows up on the TV. I lowered the aspect ratio from the 4K TV in the adapter settings to...
  6. Icons not scaling correctly.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons not scaling correctly.: This is driving me bananas. I spent a lot of time finding and manually applying each of these icons. They're all 256x256 or 512x512 ico files. Sometimes they'll be normal, then they'll switch to being small with the outline, then I go back later and they're normal again....
  7. windows 10 Scaling and Apps/programs @4K

windows 10 Scaling and Apps/programs @4K: So i recently bought a lg 55C7T OLED running the desktop in 4K via DVI to HDMI and im noticing text for things like Steam and a whole bunch of apps is sort of blury even with Clear type enabled wondering if theres a proper way of getting scaling to Work and what settings i...
  8. Desktop screen no longer scaling correctly when duplicated to a TV

Desktop screen no longer scaling correctly when duplicated to a TV: Hey guys, was wondering if someone could help me out with this. When I was using Windows 7 I would connect my computer to a TV via HDMI to watch films, it had no problems scaling correctly, everything that I saw on my desktop screen was on my TV. After upgrading to Windows 10...
  9. 4k tv resolution issue

4k tv resolution issue: I'm running an LG 4k UHD tv with a GTX 1080. The first day I brought it home I was able to set the proper 3840x2160 resolution but then I updated the driver. Now anytime I set that resolution, starting from the standard 1920x1080, I get a black screen. It's not the TV...
  10. Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen

Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen: Hello everyone! I have a question that I have not been able to find a proper answer to, and I'm starting to think it's impossible to do. I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen. I normally don't care for 4K but I thought it would be useful to futureproof my...