Windows 10: Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?

Discus and support Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After doing a custom install of windows 10, due to BSOD error loop, I am facing few newer issues. Issue 1: Username path in C:\Users\ got changed... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by rahulKA, Oct 30, 2020.

1. rahulKA Win User

Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?

After doing a custom install of windows 10, due to BSOD error loop, I am facing few newer issues.

Issue 1:
    Username path in C:\Users\ got changed automatically from C:\Users\Raghav to C:\Users\ragha somehow on this new custom install of Windows 10 (version 20H2).
    why we don't have a choice in deciding our own username under "C\Users" in Windows 10.
    It's very absurd to take first 5 characters from email-Id and make that a username.
    How to revert back to the old username ?

Issue 2:
    All the folders like Desktop, Documents, pictures have moved inside OneDrive, automatically.
    Can't we customize which folder we want to keep in OneDrive?
    How to move out these folder out of them, keep only those which we need to backup?

There must be some solution to these above issues in windows 10.

OS config :
    Windows version 20H2(OS build 19042.508).

:)

rahulKA, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

It didn't get changed. If you create an MSAccount-linked user account then Windows names the C:\Users\%UserName% folder with the first five characters of the MSAccount name.

You can use the TenForumsTutorial zbook pointed you to.

For any future users you want to create, that you can avoid this issue by first creating the account as a local account and only then converting it to an MSAccount. That will leave the C:\Users\%UserName% as it is - the full name used for the local account name.
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account - TenForumsTutorials
    Change Account Type - TenForumsTutorials {making it an Admin account, if required}
    Switch to Microsoft Account - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

3. rahulKA Win User

After doing a custom install of windows 10, due to BSOD error loop, I am facing few newer issues.

Issue 1:
    Username path in C:\Users\ got changed automatically from C:\Users\Raghav to C:\Users\ragha somehow on this new custom install of Windows 10 (version 20H2).
    why we don't have a choice in deciding our own username under "C\Users" in Windows 10.
    It's very absurd to take first 5 characters from email-Id and make that a username.
    How to revert back to the old username ?

Issue 2:
    All the folders like Desktop, Documents, pictures have moved inside OneDrive, automatically.
    Can't we customize which folder we want to keep in OneDrive?
    How to move out these folder out of them, keep only those which we need to backup?

There must be some solution to these above issues in windows 10.

OS config :
    Windows version 20H2(OS build 19042.508).

rahulKA, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?

Equivalent of "c:\Users\username"

Vijay_Verma and DaveM21, thanks. I'll add that to my list of hints to remember,

Now, all I have to do is run the following command in PowerShell:

S C:\WINDOWS\system32> icacls "%userProfile%\Dropbox" /grant %USERNAME% (F) /T

When I try to run this command (which is taken from the Dropbox website), I get the following:

F : The term 'F' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

At line:1 char:51

+ icacls "%userProfile%\Dropbox" /grant %USERNAME% (F) /T

+ ~

+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (F:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

How do I correct this? (And I have two silarcommand waiting in the wings.)

RogerBlair1, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10? - Similar Threads - Correct username under

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. Correcting truncated username in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correcting truncated username in Windows 11: I am running Windows 11 and want to correct a truncated username. I found this tutorial from Shawn Brink recommended in a post on this forum from 2019. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-change-name-user-profile-folder-windows-10-a.html Should this method still work?...
  5. Correcting truncated username in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correcting truncated username in Windows 11: I am running Windows 11 and want to correct a truncated username. I found this tutorial from Shawn Brink recommended in a post on this forum from 2019. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-change-name-user-profile-folder-windows-10-a.html Should this method still work?...
  6. C:\Documents and Settings path under Windows 10 machine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\Documents and Settings path under Windows 10 machine.: Hello,I have a Windows 10 laptop. And my laptop is having "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data". Actually Microsoft claims they have stopped "C:\Documents and Settings" path. But in my machine, all the software, particularly National instrument is are getting...
  7. Username path different from actual username

Username path different from actual username: I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. While installing I connected to the internet so I was forced to make a live account. Once I finished setup I decided to make a local account and delete the live one. When the dialogue box popped up to input a username the box was...
  8. Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?: After doing a custom install of windows 10, due to BSOD error loop, I am facing few newer issues. Issue 1: Username path in C:\Users\ got changed automatically from C:\Users\Raghav to C:\Users\ragha somehow on this new custom install of Windows 10 (version 20H2). why we...
  9. Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct

Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct: Hi, I recently installed windows 10 and signed in directly with my microsoft credentials instead of first creating a local user. I've just noticed that the username under the C:\Users\ directory only picks up the first five characters of my name. It seems that there is...
  10. username path error

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    username path error: So when I installed the OS I had no problem configuring the username and stuff like that, but when I started installing programs I notice that one letter of the username is off (instead of users/dorian it's users/doria). It's not a big problem, but still bothering me. I...