Windows 10: Corrupt User Profile?

Discus and support Corrupt User Profile? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; A little while ago, I had a power outage whilst downloading an update. This caused fairly substantial file damage which after much work, I have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Graham9, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Graham9 Win User

Corrupt User Profile?

A little while ago, I had a power outage whilst downloading an update. This caused fairly substantial file damage which after much work, I have more-or-less got everything back.

The only real issue remaining is there is a four minute delay after Welcome screen to Desktop. I believe this may be down to corrupt profile. I have already gone down the sfc/scannow and dism route and downloaded the ISO file to work from.

I created a second profile and everything booted as it should, with the exception of no apps available when I hit the Start Button. When I copy contents of the Users directory from original to copy profile, I end up with a slow boot again and still no apps. I assume that something in the Users directory is messed up.

Basically I need to either find and repair the busted profile, or create a new profile with everything in place and ditch the messed up one.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Graham9, Aug 15, 2019
  2. Jonas Flo Win User

Corrupted User Profile

Hi,

There maybe a couple of reasons behind this misbehavior such as a corrupted system file. However, we would like to be able to verify which process exactly is corrupted.

• When you install, does it give you any form of error message when it fails?
    • What other processes doesn't go through on the said User account?

As per troubleshooting, you may refer to
    Likhitha V
    's response on this thread. See if it applies to you. However,
    just to give you a heads up. The steps are about creating a new user profile and deleting the current one. I suggest you back up your files so you may be able to transfer it. You can also find information about it on the same thread.

We'll be waiting for your response. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    Corrupted user profile

Hi Mason,

It is possible that this issue is due to the corrupted user profile. To properly troubleshoot the issue, kindly verify the following:

• Have you tried using another user profile and test the issue?
    • Have you tried performing a clean boot to eliminate software conflicts?
    • Have you tried running System File Checker to check for any file corruption?

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Corrupt User Profile?

How do I fix a corrupt user profile in Win10...

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What are the issue you are facing with?

• What do you mean by “I had this happen earlier”, is similar issue occurring again?

• If yes, what was the issue you were facing with before and now?

To delete a corrupted user profile, you have to enable built-in administrator.

Enable built-in administrator by following the steps below, create a new user profile, transfer all the data from the corrupted user to the newly created user profile and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Enable built-in administrator account.

• Open elevated command prompt by entering Safe mode with Command prompt.
      To go to safe mode, use the power button on the sign-in screen and press
      Shift + Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu. Click
      Troubleshoot> Advanced options> Startup settings.
      You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode with Command prompt.

• Type the following command: net user administrator /active:yes

• Login into the built in administrator user profile and create a new user profile with administrator privileges.

• Delete the corrupted user account from the built in administrator.

• Then lock your screen by pressing Windows key + L, and sign-in at the
      Administrator account.

• Check if the issue persist and you can disable built in administrator account by typing the command:
      net user administrator /active:no
      in the Command prompt (Admin).

Step 2: To create a new user account follow the steps below:

• Open Elevated command prompt by pressing
      Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select Command prompt (Admin).

• Type net user NewAccount password /add
      and click Enter.

• Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click
      Enter.

• Log off from the system and login to the new user account.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Corrupt User Profile?

1. Corrupt User Profile? - Similar Threads - Corrupt User Profile

2. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt User Profile: Recently, I've been trying to purchase an application on the Microsoft Store, however the payment screen would always go blank in a matter of seconds. After some online research, I was able to follow a thread that proposed the solution of trying to purchase the application...
  3. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt User Profile: Recently, I've been trying to purchase an application on the Microsoft Store, however the payment screen would always go blank in a matter of seconds. After some online research, I was able to follow a thread that proposed the solution of trying to purchase the application...
  4. Corrupted user profile

Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  5. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  6. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt User Profile: My main only user profile cannot launch cmd.exe, Windows Defender, and a 1-2 other utilities. This happened after I install a Linux distro using WSL. Tried troubleshooting it using online solutions, which didn't help. I upgraded to Windows 11 and that didn't help. I took my...
  7. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Corrupted User Profile: Is there a way to fix a corrupted user profile WITHOUT just making a new one and migrate everything over to it?This only issue we have is not being able to activate Office 365 apps. We have already gone through all troubleshooting steps with Microsoft to fix the activation...
  8. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted User Profile: Is there a way to fix a corrupted user profile WITHOUT just making a new one and migrate everything over to it?This only issue we have is not being able to activate Office 365 apps. We have already gone through all troubleshooting steps with Microsoft to fix the activation...
  9. Corrupted User Profile

10. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted User Profile: I logged on this morning to see my user profile had been corrupted, with the file showing 0 bytes in properties and unable to be accessed due to the corrupted file submitted by /u/XCTVNICKX [link] [comments]...