Windows 10: Corrupted administrator account and stuck in a temp account

Discus and support Corrupted administrator account and stuck in a temp account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hey everyone, in a tight spot Some context leading up the issue was that I found my desktop was infinitely loading into windows so like usual I crashed... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Anomaky, May 4, 2021.

1. Anomaky Win User

Corrupted administrator account and stuck in a temp account

Hey everyone, in a tight spot Some context leading up the issue was that I found my desktop was infinitely loading into windows so like usual I crashed it by holding the power button. Which caused windows to send me to a temporary account for the first time. I tried signing in and out of my account and it still sent me to the temp account. Restarting didn't help either. Googled for solutions and tried the most common cure was to toy around in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. Websites having their own variations and none workingI've at

:)

Anomaky, May 4, 2021
  2. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Corrupted administrator account and stuck in a temp account :(

Zakin, May 4, 2021
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, May 4, 2021
  4. quixotic Win User

Stuck in Administrator Account

Hi guys,

I'm currently stuck in the Administrator Account.. I really only have one Windows account that has gotten stuck in this mode. I was hoping you could help me resolve this since it's now cutting into my productivity.

The machine is a two month old Alienware 17 R3 laptop with latest CPU & GPU, 32 GB ram. Operating system is Windows 10 Pro version 1511.

The thing has worked flawlessly so far and I've been happy with the Windows 10 experience for the most part, everything worked, etc. Not too long ago I had 'Run as Admin' while setting up some software that I need for work. I had used this feature before and never had a problem resuming normal operations. At some point recently, I started getting error messages stating that "This app can't open. Sign in with a different account and try again".

Corrupted administrator account and stuck in a temp account [​IMG]

This seems to be the case for all or most of the built in Win10 apps such as Edge, Calculator etc.
    I normally use Firefox so had blown this off for a bit, but now seeing I can't use the calculator and some other stuff I want to fix it.

I've closely followed your comprehensive tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ows-10-a.html?
    and followed the first three methods on how to disable the built-in elevated administrator account,

Each time (with three different methods) it appears that admin is currently disabled; You can see in the above screenshot that admin account appears to be disabled. But it turns out that it is not...
    I still get the "This app can't open. Sign in with a different account and try again", message.

When I go to Setting/Accounts it shows that I have only one Windows Account and that is and Administrator Account..

It also shows that I only have one account option in the Start Menu..

So I tried to add another account.
    But when in Account/Settings I try to click on "Add an account" or "Use in with a Microsoft Account instead", I see a window flash like a dialog box is about to open but then nothing happens. So I can't create an alternate regular privileged user account.

I wouldn't mind just having one account that is a superuser account, but I understand that there could be some security issues with that, potentially giving unwanted access to 'root'. Plus I want to be able to use the built-in calculator and other useful Windows tools.

I've never dealt with a Microsoft cloud-based account before and just recently set this up while checking out the app store after getting this new laptop. I was a little put off by what was a bit of a hijack, but I just went along and figured I could fix things later. I had originally planned to set it up to dual-boot Ubuntu right away, but haven't bothered yet since Windows 10 has been pretty stable and nice to have (plus most of my work related software only runs in Windows), but this is getting frustrating as I feel like I've gotten a bit stuck here... I started wondering if it may be caused by some sort of malware, but I run both Avast and AVG and did complete hard drive sweeps with both of them after this admin account thing started bugging me and they both came back saying clean bill of health with no threats or viruses.

So, I assume I need to add another account to this PC. Not sure why everything worked fine for two months with the one account and then I started getting error messages when trying to run apps and mixed messages about whether Admin account is truly disabled.

Any ideas on how to solve this and what the next steps I should take are? Please advise...
    Thanks!

quixotic, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Corrupted administrator account and stuck in a temp account - Similar Threads - Corrupted administrator account

2. My laptop is stuck in a temp account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is stuck in a temp account.: Every time i log in, my stuff gets deleted and reset. I tried advanced startup already, it did not work. Also, on the welcome screen it says "Preparing Windows". Please help me i am sad :[ Info: Model HP Envy 13'', with Windows 11 HomeEdit: Now it takes 4 minutes average to...
  3. My laptop is stuck in a temp account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is stuck in a temp account.: Every time i log in, my stuff gets deleted and reset. I tried advanced startup already, it did not work. Also, on the welcome screen it says "Preparing Windows". Please help me i am sad :[ Info: Model HP Envy 13'', with Windows 11 HomeEdit: Now it takes 4 minutes average to...
  4. Administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator account: I have purchased Office365, but using a Microsoft account different from the account which I use to sign into Windows. Is it possible for me to change the administrator account to the one I used to purchase Office365?Kind regards,Padraig...
  5. Administrator account

Administrator account: I have purchased Office365, but using a Microsoft account different from the account which I use to sign into Windows. Is it possible for me to change the administrator account to the one I used to purchase Office365?Kind regards,Padraig...
  6. administrator account

administrator account: Hi. I am the new owner of my computer and I've been facing a particular problem on my pc. The problem is, that i can not setup any games/apps on my computer as it requires an Administrator account. There is no Administrator account on my pc as the old owner has forgotten the...
  7. Corrupt Account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Corrupt Account: Dear Microsoft Support,It seems as if my Microsoft account is corrupt. I have been getting problems with apps disappearing after each time I restart my computer, settings being unable to save, certain parameters telling me to contact my organization or saying that I need...
  8. Temp Account Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Temp Account Problem: I logged in to windows on my account and it said you have been logged into a temporary account. I think fixed it but the apps don't work now what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/temp-account-problem/83101e35-158f-4db0-973a-69c2c05858b0
  9. Stuck on a temp account no matter what.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on a temp account no matter what.: Everytime I go into the regeditor, delete the temp profile, delete the .bak from the corrupted one, and restart, it doesn't work, I always go back to a temp profile. I have been trying to fix this for a day now, I have tried everything I can, whether it be simple things like...
  10. Stuck in Administrator Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Stuck in Administrator Account: Hi guys, I'm currently stuck in the Administrator Account.. I really only have one Windows account that has gotten stuck in this mode. I was hoping you could help me resolve this since it's now cutting into my productivity. The machine is a two month old Alienware 17 R3...