Windows 10: corrupted desktop/start & duplicated account names

Discus and support corrupted desktop/start & duplicated account names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 home 1803 on Dell AIO Inspiron 1 Itel I5 4gb ram Ostensibly at first inspection it appeared that the Desktop settings were incomplete, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robmar0se, Mar 5, 2019.

1. robmar0se Win User

corrupted desktop/start & duplicated account names

Windows 10 home 1803 on Dell AIO Inspiron 1 Itel I5 4gb ram

Ostensibly at first inspection it appeared that the Desktop settings were incomplete, the start function was also incomplete eg not showing the program list. Checkinga second user desktop it was as it should be, hence the issue was with the initial account rather than the PC itself. At the time of checking user accounts, it was noticed that the accounts were also duplicated.on the desktop

!. System restore was unable to complete.
    2. System File Check reported no Windows file errors
    3. Restoring Windows Apps had no benefit
    4. Tried a fix to remove duplicate account names (changing account sign-in privacy option to off). Unsuccessful, and had the by-product of not showing list of accounts on starting,opens directly the original account. Attempts to change this may have made matters worse.
    5. Created new user account, copied over all personal folder/files to this new account.
    6. On the new account Microsoft Word/Excel were missing from the program list, successfully forced their re-instatement from the programs x86 folder
    7. Finalise internet settings on new account.
    8. Change sign-on so the original "wrong" account requires a pin no, however this prompts the system to list the user names thus allowing an option to sign into the new account
    9. The Language settings were also incorrect, set to USA (eg “ vs @); England language app was downloaded and reset.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem, all the fixes I have found so far haven't worked. Coming round to the view that the easiest solution in terms of time is to do a win 10 re-install.

:)

robmar0se, Mar 5, 2019

2. Two accounts with same name and now on startup I have to enter a password

The account list does not show any duplicated account names, in contrast to your initial post. I suggest you post a snapshot of the screen that shows these duplicated accounts.

Frederik Long, Mar 5, 2019
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Mar 5, 2019
  4. EncinoMan Win User

Duplicate user name at login

Hi,

I am having the exact same problems as Ray60. I have tried the netplwiz 'solution' several times but that has not altered a thing.

When Windows first boots it tells me that my password is incorrect. I then select a duplicate account name that is displayed and enter my pin and I am let in. But when I search for a duplicate account within the Control Panel it does not exist. I have the only account and it is, of course, with administrator's access. What gives?

EncinoMan, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

1. corrupted desktop/start & duplicated account names - Similar Threads - corrupted desktop start

2. Duplicate account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Duplicate account: Hi All,I’ve just changed my bios to uefi and all running well on my Windows 10 pro except when I boot up at the login I have 2 accounts in my name, see images, I sign in to my account and when I try to find and delete the duplicate there isn’t any other accounts either in...
  3. duplicate accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    duplicate accounts: Microsoft created a requirement that I log in with a password with windows 10 which I did not want. I created a password and used the instructions to tell it to never ask for a password, but it constantly ask for one, both on start up and after it puts itself to sleep. This...
  4. Duplicate folder names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate folder names: I have a Windows 10 partition that contains several folders. Two of the other folders have the exact same name. How is that even possible? I did a chkdsk and it finds no errors. The partition also contains a found.000 folder that contains what may be parts of one of the...
  5. Duplicate start menu item name

Duplicate start menu item name: [IMG]This is a quick question I dont need answered but how could I remove the 1 after the file explorer option or computer on the start menu i got this after the 2004 upgrade...
  6. duplicate desktops

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    duplicate desktops: [img] why do i have 2 desktops [img] also i receive this almost all the time when searching 147469
  7. Duplicate account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Duplicate account: Hi I have accidentally duplicated my Windows account; I now have set up two accounts on my PC with almost the same user name but the same Outlook address for both. Now on Startup I get both my names showing. The most recent one has no files associated with it and I would like...
  8. Duplicate login accounts when starting up

Duplicate login accounts when starting up: I have a question. I finally updated from Windows 7 XP Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Everything seems to have merged/crossed over correctly with one small issue. When I start up I have two user accounts at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. They are both the same name as...
  9. Duplicating 'Name group'

Duplicating 'Name group': Hello, In Windows 10, when I click on the window logo (bottom left of the screen), there are a bunch of icons on the right side. They are divided in 4 categories (create, play, explore and name group). How could I duplicate or triplicate the <name group category? Thank you...
  10. "Duplicate" user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    "Duplicate" user name: I have two user profiles with similar names, one was created when I upgraded from win 7 to Win 10. The two user names are MAGS and MAGS.000. If I look at the registry, they have identical SID's, except for the rightmost (last) number - MAGS has -500, MAGS.000 has -1000. If...