Windows 10: Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update.

Discus and support Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I ran in unexpected and so frustrating problem as Windows Update corrupted my all partitions. EXCEPT NVME hard drive with itself. I heard of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lilia Cone, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update.

Hi!
    I ran in unexpected and so frustrating problem as Windows Update corrupted my all partitions. EXCEPT NVME hard drive with itself. I heard of Windows Update deleting User profile data. I had backups of that but I would never thought that having more than one hard drive will be a problem today.
    In process of troubleshooting I went to internet after "Windows Advisor" and "Windows Advocate" being hopeless about this problem. Unable to help. I know the data some of it should be there we all know data does not go bye bye when u even format drives I lost one because I let Windows Advisor guide me to make new partition table on one of not so important hard drive that contained mostly games and game saves. And Windows Advisor seem to be familiar with this happening after Windows Update pointed to MBR problem, could not recommend me any tools and Windows Advocate Said literally go to local technician "Good luck, Cant help you much more then wipe your drives and cause more damage."
    So what I also localized with much helpful Advisor it could be caused by MBR file system. I use one drive that was formatted with extended partition of 2 TB and that split up in 2 logical partitions No Primary as it was used for storage only in my previous builds. I ran trough gParted to see if it is as serious as it looks so RAW partition and it is confirmed all partitions look "empty" regardless of data that was there before Update.

I highly doubt it is not recoverable without Recovery equipment since Both Windows and Linux don't seem to see it and gparted is superior tool than Disk management and other windows tools
    This is How it looks:
    https://snipboard.io/fbA5m2.jpg - my MBR Drive
    what supposed to be GPT Bellow:
    https://snipboard.io/rybIlG.jpg
    They all look like RAW and Disk Management says they RAW. But In Device manager my partitions show up the way I named them before Windows Update what was IGNORED by Technician and Advisor under "Portable Devices" they are hidden.

:)

Lilia Cone, Aug 9, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

Hi Perfmaster,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can understand the inconvenience you are experiencing with the missing partition after installing the Update.

1. Do you see a partition showing up as a RAW in disk management?

The possible cause for the Partition loss or Deletion on Windows 10:

1. Sudden power loss can corrupt Windows 10 partitions, as a result, you will not be able to access the data present on it
    2. Sometimes on Windows 10 operating system, converting the dynamic partition to basic type also damage partition table on hard disk drive result in partition loss that leads to huge data disaster
    3. Mistakenly formatting the HDD partition to extend the size of the partition, repartitioning, or unintentionally selecting faulty drive of Windows 10 for formatting thereby you may end up losing all data stored in it and also wipes out your existing
      partition
    4. If you attempt to a dual-boot or multi-boot environment to install and run multiple OS on the same system, then it might damage the existing file system and all the partitions will go missing from Windows 10 PC

However, you may try the below suggested steps to fix the issue.

Run check disk utility

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector, if any data available on that might be lost.

When we encounter this kind of situation, first thing we have to verify if OS is able to detect the file system on the partition on it or not. Best tool to verify this is to run chkdsk in read only mode. To do so,

1. Open Command prompt as administrator.
    2. Type the command: chkdsk (driveletterCorrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update. :) /r
    3. If you are asked to recover files, select 'Yes'.
    4. If the above command doesn't work try with the command:

Chkdsk (driveletterCorrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update. :) /f
    5. Restart the computer once and check the status of the issue.
    6. Repeat the same procedure by replacing the drive letter with E, if the above steps helps you to recover the missing partition.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update.

hard partition

Hi Prasad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to extend the Volume of Drives and create partitions from C: drive.

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps you.

• Press Windows + R keys, type diskmgmt.msc hit
      enter.
    • Disk management will open. Right click on the C: drive
      below in the segments of the partitions.
    • Select Shrink Volume. Select the Amount of space
      you want to extend in MBs (1GB = 1024MB).
    • Follow the instruction and check if it creates a Unallocated Drive.
    Later after the Unallocated drive is created follow the below steps to crate a partition.

• Right click on the Unallocated drive and select
      New Simple Volume.
    • Select the Drive letter and follow the instructions and check if it
      creates a partition.
    • Follow the same to Create partition.
    Note: C: drive must be not less than 100GB if you are using a 1TB hard drive. partitions must not be more than 3 drives to have a better functioning of the system.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update.

1. Corrupted/Missing Hard drives partitions after Windows Update. - Similar Threads - Corrupted Missing Hard

2. Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update: I have an hp omen laptop 17t-w100 CTO and I had an issue with the battery. The battery level was stuck at 93%. As soon as I unplugged the charger, the laptop turned off.I read that a BIOS update might fix the issue. I had version F.53 and downloaded and installed the F.55...
  3. Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Hard Drive after BIOS Update: I have an hp omen laptop 17t-w100 CTO and I had an issue with the battery. The battery level was stuck at 93%. As soon as I unplugged the charger, the laptop turned off.I read that a BIOS update might fix the issue. I had version F.53 and downloaded and installed the F.55...
  4. Hard drive missing after Windows Update

in Windows 10 News
    Hard drive missing after Windows Update: [ATTACH]Though uncommon, some users reported missing a complete hard drive after a Windows Update. While the primary drive remains visible, any additional hard drive or partition goes missing. If that is the case for you, this post will help you get back the missing hard...
  5. Hard drive partitions missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive partitions missing: Hello, My HP Laptop was originally a 1TB Laptop with three partitions C,D and E and these partitions were I guess made by the retailer who sold me the laptop not really sure if he made the partitions or they were originally there, after few months of usage I started to...
  6. hard drive missing after windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    hard drive missing after windows update: All my local disks, except for disk C, disappeared after the last update. To fix it, I deleted the last update and then they were back again. But in a few days after a new update KB4560960, the disks were gone again. I tried uninstalling the newest update again, but I...
  7. Missing Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing Hard Drive Partition: I have Windows 10 Home Edition on my ROG GL504GM. And I was playing a game and it freezes my system for some reason and I had to do a hard reboot. The next thing my laptop starts, my Drive D partition is missing. I tried to do a troubleshooting and it couldn't find anything....
  8. missing suddenly external hard drive partition

missing suddenly external hard drive partition: MY EXTERNAL Hard Driver suddenly missed it's partition and windows show it in disk managment but it can't initia [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH] lized it to perpair a partition also external hard...
  9. Hard Drive Appears to be Partitioned after Windows update

Hard Drive Appears to be Partitioned after Windows update: I have a 1TB hard drive. There is a C Drive with 118GB of space and a D Drive with 918 GB of space. the C Drive is almost full and the D drive is empty. Any idea how I can get the D drive to be used?...
  10. Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows corrupt, main hard drive partition not detected: I have Windows 10-64 bit (version 1607 build 14393.1944). Upon starting my pc, I am getting the following error on a blue screen in white font. Recovery Your PC/Device needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code: 0xc000000e...