Windows 10: Corrupted Partition

Discus and support Corrupted Partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I had a similar issue that this user experienced in the thread:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jourdan_663, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Corrupted Partition

Hello, I had a similar issue that this user experienced in the thread:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-install-windows-10-partition-issue/140614da-a921-4b63-9763-1b2991983456

The only difference is the solution that was given gave the error "A device which does not Exist was specified."
    The disk list consists of:

Disk #### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    * ----------- ------- ------------ ------- ---------- --------
    Disk 0 Online 931 GB 0 B *
    Disk 1 Online 14 GB 0 B

I created a recovery drive on a usb instead of an external hard drive being used to enter windows recovery mode.
    I did not catch the windows error code on the blue screen that followed the disk becoming corrupted.

The volume list consists of:

Volume #### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    --------- ----- -------- ---------- -------------- ------------ ---------- ------
    Volume 0 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
    Volume 1 Raw Partition 1474 MB Healthy
    Volume 2 Raw Partition 899 GB Healthy
    Volume 3 Raw Partition 350 MB Healthy
    Volume 4 Raw Partition 29 GB Healthy
    Volume 5 FAT32 Partition 260 MB Healthy Hidden
    Volume 6 D Recovery FAT32 Removable 14 GB Healthy
    Volume 7 Raw Partition 260 MB Healthy Hidden

Ive also tried repairing the disk and its gives the error "There is no volume selected" after entering select disk 0 and repair disk=0.

Im on my second computer typing this and the first is completely unusable due to the hard drive corrupting itself for no reason.

:)

Jourdan_663, Dec 2, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 2, 2019
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Caian Win User

Corrupted Partition

Windows 10 updates are corrupting my C:\ partition

Hello, better describing what was explained above:

I don't know if there were any error messages during the update because Windows was set to reboot in the middle of the night.

When booting Windows starts an automatic repair (every time), the repair will fail and it will go to the Advanced Startup.

Inside Troubleshoot option of Advanced Startup:

• System Restore: It cannot find any restore point (likely because partition is corrupted)
    • System Image Recovery: It cannot restore the system without using a Windows 10 image burned to a USB Stick or DVD (looks like the Restore partition was damaged by the update)

Inside Command Prompt:

• I cannot 'cd' to Windows partition, it appears corrupted
    • I can 'cd' to Restore partition just fine
    • I can use chkdsk to fix the Windows partition (it says the primary MFT is corrupted and it recovers the backup MFT), but only to recover my personal files, because if I reboot the computer, Windows tries to automatically repair the system and ends up corrupting
      the partition again.
    The only viable solution is to fix the partition, recover my files while in Command Prompt, download a Windows 10 image using another OS / computer and reinstall Windows manually.

It happened when updating to Anniversary (solved by manually reinstalling Windows) and again when updating to Creators.

Caian, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Corrupted Partition

1. Corrupted Partition - Similar Threads - Corrupted Partition

2. How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted: I am using a Sandisk 8 GB USB flash drive the drive is corrupted also if I plug in the USB it hangs on my computer I can do nothing - I can not use Format, File Explorer, Settings, CMD, and much more. And just for note, i do not care about the data in the USB drive so you can...
  3. How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I recover a usb partition when the usb is very very corrupted: I am using a Sandisk 8 GB USB flash drive the drive is corrupted also if I plug in the USB it hangs on my computer I can do nothing - I can not use Format, File Explorer, Settings, CMD, and much more. And just for note, i do not care about the data in the USB drive so you can...
  4. Corrupted windows partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted windows partition: Now my windows partition C is corrupted with no reasonI have literally left my laptop on sleep state by turning the screen panel off, and when I opened it the laptop was in bios recoveryIs there any hope this partition going to be fixedI tried chkdsk c: /f /r but it...
  5. Corrupted windows partition

Corrupted windows partition: Now my windows partition C is corrupted with no reasonI have literally left my laptop on sleep state by turning the screen panel off, and when I opened it the laptop was in bios recoveryIs there any hope this partition going to be fixedI tried chkdsk c: /f /r but it...
  6. How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?: Hi. My SSD with Windows 11 got corrupted and wont boot. When trying to repair using Windows repair media I get an error "disk is currently write protected". I have data on this disk that is not backed up yet, I don't mind reinstalling Windows but I would like to back up my...
  7. How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?

How can I repair my corrupted Windows 11 partition?: Hi. My SSD with Windows 11 got corrupted and wont boot. When trying to repair using Windows repair media I get an error "disk is currently write protected". I have data on this disk that is not backed up yet, I don't mind reinstalling Windows but I would like to back up my...
  8. Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?: Resizing a drive's exFAT partition with Windows 11 results in corruption of drive and loss of data.Steps:1. Insert flash drive. Use an empty spare. Warning: Data may be lost!2. Format drive to exFAT file system.3. Go to Windows Settings, System, Storage, Storage management,...
  9. Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?

Resizing exFAT partition with Windows results in corruption of drive?: Resizing a drive's exFAT partition with Windows 11 results in corruption of drive and loss of data.Steps:1. Insert flash drive. Use an empty spare. Warning: Data may be lost!2. Format drive to exFAT file system.3. Go to Windows Settings, System, Storage, Storage management,...
  10. chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it

chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it: Hi, about two days ago I used a system drive from one PC on another PC to store some important data on one of its partitions. This drive was then chkdsk'd by the Windows install on it when I plugged it back into the original PC, which then somehow corrupted the NTFS partition...