Windows 10: CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN - DELETE IN COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS "SYSTEM CANNOT FIND PATH SPECIFIED"

Discus and support CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN - DELETE IN COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS "SYSTEM CANNOT FIND PATH SPECIFIED" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When "System cannot find path specified" is message returned while trying to delete $RECYCLE BIN (e.g. A corrupted recycle bin) via command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Moses_Wah, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Moses_Wah Win User

CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN - DELETE IN COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS "SYSTEM CANNOT FIND PATH SPECIFIED"

When "System cannot find path specified" is message returned while trying to delete $RECYCLE BIN (e.g. A corrupted recycle bin) via command prompt ">rd /s "[drive]:\$recycle.bin".

What to do?

From my own experience and that of other users. I've noticed that this situation is associated with folder/ file names which are excessively long OR have non-Western characters (e.g Chinese, Vietnamese) OR both.

Try navigating through all folders & subfolders in the recycle bins and RENAMING any folders/files the names of which have these characteristics.

Worked for me!

:)

Moses_Wah, Oct 6, 2019

2. why do my deleted favourites reappear after being placed in the recycle bin?

Hi John,

If files are stubbornly returning after deletion, it's possible that the recycle bin might be corrupted. To resolve the issue, we suggest that you fix corrupted recycle bin by following these steps:

• Click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the following command and press Enter: rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin
    • Type exit to close the Command Prompt window.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Oct 6, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    RECYCLE BIN automatically closes & returns to Desktop

Hi,

You might be experiencing this issue because Recycle Bin is corrupted. If your Recycle Bin is corrupted, you can face various problems when using it such as this behavior. Let's repair Recycle Bin by

using the System File Checker tool
    . This tool scans for corruptions in Windows system files and restores corrupted files.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you manually delete the Recycle Bin folder on your computer. Each drive on Windows has a hidden and protected system folder named
    $Recycle.bin. When you delete files or folders, they are moved to the Recycle Bin folder for holding. If you delete the Recycle Bin folder, Windows will automatically create a new
    $Recycle.bin folder. However, all previous contents of Recycle Bin will be lost. Make sure to only do this step if you don't have any valuable data in Recycle Bin. Here are the steps:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Command Prompt, right-click Command Prompt from the results, and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin, and press Enter.
    • If you are using multiple drives or partition, you will have to do this for every partition on your hard disk by replacing C with the corresponding drive letter.
    • Restart your computer, and Windows will recreate a new Recycle Bin for you.

Keep us updated with the results, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Oct 6, 2019
  4. CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN - DELETE IN COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS "SYSTEM CANNOT FIND PATH SPECIFIED"

The system cannot find the path specified for "recycle bin is corrupted"

Hi,

kindly refer to the steps below and check if it will fix the issue

Method 1: Runs System File Checker.

SFC will help you scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

Method 2: Delete all permissions, corrupted recycle bin and reinstall recycle bin in Windows

Go to Settings > Search for File Explorer Options > Click

View Tab.

Uncheck or unhide system protected operating files > Go to open each drive and you'll see the Recycle.bin folder and permissions with an additional recycle.bin;

Delete all the permissions, all the recycle.bin(s) on each drive and then Restart Windows.

Method 3: Reinstall recycle bin in Windows

Right-click on Desktop > Select Personalize;

Click on Themes > Click Desktop Icon settings under Related Settings;

Check Recycle Bin > Click Apply.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanshita

vanshitavanshita, Oct 6, 2019
Thema:

CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN - DELETE IN COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS "SYSTEM CANNOT FIND PATH SPECIFIED"

1. CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN - DELETE IN COMMAND PROMPT RETURNS "SYSTEM CANNOT FIND PATH SPECIFIED" - Similar Threads - CORRUPTED RECYCLE BIN

2. the system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the system cannot find the path specified: I want to get recognised my phone as MTP but is not happening https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-system-cannot-find-the-path-specified/c8dfd3a5-fa69-4505-8437-6d5c79ab1ea0
  3. the system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the system cannot find the path specified: PDF saved with long name, can't rename, move or delete. That gives me a message saying “the system cannot find the path specified”. in CMD Please what should I do?...
  4. the system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the system cannot find the path specified: PDF saved with long name, can't rename, move or delete. That gives me a message saying “the system cannot find the path specified”. in CMD Please what should I do?...
  5. The system cannot find the path specified

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The system cannot find the path specified: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SP3CTR3_xD [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lrqmw0/the_system_cannot_find_the_path_specified/
  6. CMD Prompt returns "The system cannot find the file specified" in "Documents" but it is there!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CMD Prompt returns "The system cannot find the file specified" in "Documents" but it is there!: I am trying to copy a file in my Documents folder using the CMD Prompt, however it returns an error "The system cannot find the file specified". This was part of an automated backup batch file which ran under the task scheduler every week, but stopped working after a recent...
  7. The system cannot find the file specified. COMMAND PROMPT ERROR

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The system cannot find the file specified. COMMAND PROMPT ERROR: I work for a start-up, we use zebra 450 ctp to print labels. Everything worked fine until today(i didn't do anything) my procedure to print label is to cd to correct folder in the terminal and print using this command "C:\InventoryManagement\InventoryApp>COPY /B...
  8. The system cannot find the path specified for "recycle bin is corrupted"

The system cannot find the path specified for "recycle bin is corrupted": Hi, I got the error message D:\recycle bin is corrupted in Win 10. I searched online and i found out some advices form this link:...
  9. Command Prompt to delete to recycle bin

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt to delete to recycle bin: I've recently made some bat scripts to do some stuff with zip files, extract and sort/rename etc blah blah blah not important. As part of the cleanup I have it delete the zip file once its extracted however something went wrong the other day and it turns out "del file.zip"...
  10. system cannot find the path specified (Recycle Bin Corrupted)

system cannot find the path specified (Recycle Bin Corrupted): Had this annoying recurrent message every time I would perform any operation on any file: "Your recycle bin is corrupted, do you want to delete it?" I would say yes, then it would find a number of files for which he could not find the path, and the deletion would abort. Same...