Windows 10: Corrupted Start Menu

Discus and support Corrupted Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to 1909 yesterday, and, among other things, the tiling operation of Start Menus is corrupted. For random tiles, they either don't work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Corrupted Start Menu

I upgraded to 1909 yesterday, and, among other things, the tiling operation of Start Menus is corrupted.

For random tiles, they either don't work and/or cannot be moved, or some shortcuts are not successfully pinned. They either do or don't show up in the apps list on the left, but even if they do, there is no option to pin.

So I restored a clean, reliable Macrium backup, Win 10 1507, with a working start menu, and upgraded to 1903, and I have the same problem.

Is there a solution to this?

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Nov 21, 2019

2. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

So after further searching , I found out the following odd facts :

Corrupted Start Menu [​IMG]

So this is the odd app showing in start menu with several other missing apps .

Now few forums suggested this to be a sign of corruption example here .

So forums suggested too that there is a tool to fix corruptions called Start Menu Troubleshooter which wasn't easy to find .

Like always all MS Troubleshooters it managed to state the obvious :

So searching on for means to fix the corruption since Microsoft was vague enough about this I came across this page here :
    The odd thing is my old profile has an XML based setting file and empty database folder :

While new profile has no XML file but a database folder :

Any body came across these blahs before ?! @Brink think these are familiar ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 21, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Start Menu

Hi Willy,

One possible factor why Start menu was not working properly due to corruptions. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes aside from updating your Windows?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article by clicking on this

link
    . This will let you restart your device, create a new local administrator account, reset your computer and download and run the Start menu troubleshooter. You may also perform the instructions in this article:

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
    that will allow you to scan for corruptions and restore corrupted files.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Nov 21, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Corrupted Start Menu

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

Corrupted Start Menu

1. Corrupted Start Menu - Similar Threads - Corrupted Start Menu

2. Start menu icons get corrupted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu icons get corrupted: My start menu icons are displaying like this... [ATTACH] How to resolve this? Thanks in advance... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icons-get-corrupted/1945669b-3558-4207-b8fc-c0627f4dc183
  3. Windows Search not working, Start Menu corrupted

in Cortana
    Windows Search not working, Start Menu corrupted: After some Windows updates, my search does not seem to find anything not on C drive. I have multiple games installed on a secondary harddrive E through steam, and other programs, however the only stuff it seems to find is what there is either a shortcut to on my desktop, or...
  4. App icon corrupted on Start Menu in search

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App icon corrupted on Start Menu in search: When I try to sarch some apps Whatsapp, Office suite, Sistem programs as Settings, Memo..., icons are corrupted. This happens only in start menu, but if I pin the apps on the task bar or when I open this app, icons show up. I've tried to restore icon cache, but nothing...
  5. corrupted start menu and windows apps.

in Windows 10 Customization
    corrupted start menu and windows apps.: Good morning, My problem started about 2 weeks ago. whenever I try to open 'start menu' there is this popup : critical error please log out. and that's what I did at first, but the problem was never fixed. Then I discovered more issues, none of windows apps is working :...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu corrupted – Tile Database is corrupt

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Menu corrupted – Tile Database is corrupt: [ATTACH] [IMG]The Windows 10 Start Menu is quite a stable experience, but there are times when it can self–destruct for some reason and become corrupt. If this has happened to you in the past, then worry not because we‘re here to [...] This post Windows 10 Start Menu...
  7. Start Menu corruption: "Tile database is corrupt"

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu corruption: "Tile database is corrupt": Since updating Windows 10 to version 1803, I noticed that at the bottom of my Start Menu there is a category "Other" and one item under that category listed as "ms-resource:appDisplayName". When I click on it, it opens a page in Windows Store where I can check for app...
  8. New start menu corrupts with time

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    New start menu corrupts with time: Upgraded to 10 on 30th July. Since then after about an hour the start menu words and icons become corrupted and unreadable. Only in the start menu, the Cortana box and the metro style tiles. Nowhere else is affected neither apps nor internet pages apart from the Photos app....
  9. Corrupted Start Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted Start Menu Icons: Hello Windows 10 Forum, I am frequently getting corrupted icons appearing in my Start Menu. These icons are appearing anyways if I am signed in with Microsoft or with a local account. I am really annoyed with these white icons. I would be thankful if this great forum could...
  10. Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Corrupted - ms-resource:appDisplayName: So lately I was faced by the following symptoms : 1 - Alot of apps not appearing on start menu where I can only run them through store 2 - Mysterious app called : ms-resource:appDisplayName appearing on start menu that can't be deleted / uninstalled 3 - All my previous...