Windows 10: Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

Discus and support Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hi, I am at my wits end, this issue has been ongoing for the pas few days and I have stayed up quite late to try and fix this with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ivanleong8, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership V8T-8tVqN553p1CtTHxPo0fW4-zUVneu-f9Zxi-5olA.jpg

Hi,

I am at my wits end, this issue has been ongoing for the pas few days and I have stayed up quite late to try and fix this with the help of some Microsoft Technicians online. I would like to thank the few technicians who were willing to help me over their online conversation, albeit not being able to solve it and thus escalating it. That being said, if anyone proficient in these stuff is willing to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. As I have work tomorrow, I can only reply at GMT+8.00 11.30 p.m. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So, heres what happened so far...

I just got my new gaming PC a few days ago and was trying to setup my C and D drive. First off, all the OS and other related hardware related software (eg. NVDIA control panel, Windows 10) are saved automatically in my C Drive (Primary SSD). As I would like to save the free space solely for the Operating System, I had went to Settings > System > Storage > Change where new content is saved to change the new directory to my D Drive (Secondary SSD, 1TB storage).

Secondly, I tried to install my programs from the internet (latest Microsoft Edge) such as Steam, Norton, etc, onto both my C and D Drives but was unable to do so as they would provide this error message. (Note: The programs SetUp downloaded must be saved into Documents folder before being transferred, program setup can be ran normally without issue. Its just the access denied to Programs Folder directly)

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamSetup.exeYou don't have permission to save in this location.Contact the administrator to obtain permission.Would you like to save in the <User Acc Name> folder instead?

Note: this message is the same for my D Drive

To solve this, I have attempted four methods -- which were provided by the Microsoft Technicians online -- to [1] go to User Account Control Settings and set the bar to the lowest (no notifications at all).

[2] Additionally, I have attempted to change the ownership of both my C and D Drive to my <User Acc Name>. The Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object and Replace owner on subcontainers and objects checkboxes were selected. During this step, this was when multiple system error messages popped up. They were

An error occurred while applying security information to:<Address of folder/item affected> eg.C:\DumpStack .log. tmp / C:\$SysReset The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

https://preview.redd.it/lfnmc94sdm0...bp&s=e51f035ed5d7f52972ec2a93a86aaf71fb8541d8

By selecting continue many more error messages of the same type kept appearing. Thus, I selected Cancel, which also caused a different error message to appear:

If you stop the propagation of permission settings, it might lead to an inconsistent state where objects have different settings. If you made this change by mistake, you should apply the correct permission settings immediately.

https://preview.redd.it/xoro70reem0...bp&s=1880ca5fe0f61fa803d89250b8f2e630e303edac

Later on after attempting the third method, I tried to revert back ownership to SYSTEM. However, the error messages in both scenarios appeared again.

[3] I gave Full Control to Everyone. I navigated to Properties > Security > Edit > Selected 'Everyone' > Allow/Gave 'Full Control' > OK. Moreover, in the Advanced options for the second window, I added Everyone, gave it 'Full control' and selected this applies to This folder, subfolders and files before selecting 'Replace all child object permission entries...' and then clicked OK. This also generated the same two types of error messages (this time the C:\$Recycle.bin were affected too) as shown above by selecting Continue or Cancel respectively in the error message window.

At this point, the Microsoft technician decided that there were too many errors and a Windows 10 Fresh Start was required, so I carried it out as follows. Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get Started. Then, selected Remove all files, chose local, and set Restore preinstalled apps? to No.

Now, I attempted the fourth method [4] which was to create another local user account with administrative rights. Although from the Settings App it shows the local user account as an Administrator, we made sure it actually had Admin rights. The administrative rights were added by executing the Run Program, adding the 'netplwiz' program name to open and configuring it to an Administrator. However, this too didn't allow me to save anything into the Programs Folder in D or C drive.

Edit: I have also attempted sfc /scannow in command prompt to fix corrupted files

submitted by /u/ivanleong8
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ivanleong8, Nov 21, 2020

2. C drive inaccessible

Hi Paritosh,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Please be assured that we will do our best to help you.

• Have you logged in as an administrator?

• Have you made any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    An "Access Denied" error message can occur for one or more of the following reasons:

• The folder ownership has changed.
    • You do not have the appropriate permissions.
    • The file is encrypted.
    Before we could reset the computer, let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

• Right click on Drive C and click
      Properties.

• Switch to Security tab, click Edit and
      Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the
      full control permission
      for your own account and click OK.

• Click Advanced, switch to Ownership tab and click
      Edit button.

• Highlight your user account and click
      Apply
      , and then click OK.
    Step 2: Let us try to disable to UAC settings and check.

• Press Windows key + S and type
      User account control

• Select Change User Account Control Settings.

• Move the slider to Never notify and click
      Ok.
    Refer: "Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2623670

(Applies to Windows 10 as well).

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Nov 21, 2020
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

lost access to c drive on windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Try these methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps to take the ownership of the drive.

a. Right click on
    Drive C and click Properties.

b. Switch to
    Security tab, click Edit and Add to add your user account, if it is not listed. Assign the
    full control permission for your own account and click OK.

c. Click
    Advanced, switch to Ownership tab and click
    Edit button

d. Highlight
    your user account and click Apply, and then click
    OK.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to disable to UAC settings and check.

a. In search
    type User account control.

b. Select
    Change User Account Control Settings.

c. Move the slider to
    Never notify and click Ok.

Method 3:

I would suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Nov 21, 2020
Thema:

Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

1. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership - Similar Threads - Corrupted User Account

2. Merging the C drive with the D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Merging the C drive with the D drive: I have been trying to merge my drives and searching up how to do it. I have come to an area where I can't go any further. I have allocated space on my D drive by shrinking it. I have unallocated space on the d drive but when I try to extend my C drive it is grayed out. Is...
  3. Is D:\ drive corrupted?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is D:\ drive corrupted?: Last night when I booted up my computer a pop up started on my computer saying my D drive’s recycle bin was corrupted I couldn’t access it either . I did a cmd which was recommended and afterwards I could access but it used 100% data usage to the point of causing a restart...
  4. User account gone from drive C, present in drive D

in Windows 10 Customization
    User account gone from drive C, present in drive D: Laptop sudden shutdown, and after rebooting I realized my main user account is gone, and I'm logged into another account non temporary accountA quick check to drive C users shows that the account is gone, but however when I look into drive D the account is thereHow do i...
  5. Drive C/D

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive C/D: So my local disk C is full because it has barely any storage and i need to download some stuff but i cant and i want to switch to my D drive because it has a lot more storage but i dont know what the consequences are and how to do it and if i can do it. If someone could help...
  6. C drive and D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive and D drive: Hi, I was looking through my files and found my brother's files on my D drive. I asked him to move it to C drive so that it wouldn't appear on my D drive, but when I checked my C drive, he's files were there. I share a laptop with my brother and have our own accounts. Is the...
  7. C drive to D drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive to D drive: So for some reason with this new PC, all of my applications and files were downloaded to my C drive automatically, when I wanted them in the D drive. So i took all of the files in the C drive and copy-pasted them to the D drive, then uninstalled everything from my C drive...
  8. C: and D: drives

C: and D: drives: Laptop came with Windows 8 and 1 TB hard drive which I have 700GB free. Updated to Windows 10 and C: drive is still free but 25GB D: is full https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-and-d-drives/036ccbb4-a114-453d-880a-ccece386f1e0
  9. C Drive vs. D Drive

C Drive vs. D Drive: Hello--looking for some assistance with designating storage to the D drive on my computer. I have the settings arranged so that all new download content is supposed to go to the D drive--music, etc.--but it is still going to the C drive anyway. Thanks for any help!...
  10. Limit Ownership to Drive C

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit Ownership to Drive C: Hi, Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking Ownership of External Drives, and other Partition other than C: ? Thank you. 58095